Sky Bet EFL 2016/17

Lineker

5 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

You've got an issue nowadays where referees are told that its better to be wrong and assertive than be right and not so.

TIL referees are like girlfriends 

• Like 2

I'm still trying to work out what happened in that 3 minute conversation though. So, what's the rule again lads? Dunno Keith, just go with your gut.

I understand that refereeing is hard, sometimes you won't see things and lots of things are open to interpretation, but this was 4 officials fundamentally forgetting what the rules are. Never mind technology, the 4th official should have had a bloody rulebook. Is a book technology? :/

Less consequential to the game, he also allowed a Burton player to stay on the field after being treated for a head injury in the second half, so I'm just pleased we didn't play a third half in the end.

Edited by Colly
  • Like 1

• Admin

He has to get disciplined hard for this, right? I'm not one to castigate ref for making a poor decision but this was a blatant case of not knowing the rules. That's a fundamental error that can swing games and seasons.

• Admin

English Football League clubs will have to name at least one "club-developed" player in their matchday squads from the start of the 2018-19 season.

A club-developed player is defined as one who has been registered to the club for at least a year before the end of his under-19 season.

The new rules were agreed following a meeting of all 72 EFL clubs.

"I am confident that this decision will have a positive and lasting impact," said EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey.

"It is imperative that we provide young players not only with a platform, but also with the belief that opportunities will be made available to progress from youth to senior football."

Teams have previously had to include six home-grown players, defined as those registered with a club in England or Wales for three seasons, or 36 months, before their 21st birthday.

The hell has happened to Reading today? 6-1 down at half time! 

Also Blues are losing to Derby, Rowett getting his revenge so far and taking Zola's record to 2 wins from 22 as things stand. At least Barnsley are doing us a favour so far 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lineker said:

Zola has been given the dreaded vote of confidence.

Hopefully they keep him for the derby. Don't want us to play them on a new manager honeymoon. Also mad that Gary Rowett has earned more points in 8 days at Derby than Zola has since taking over from Rowett months ago. 

4 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Hopefully they keep him for the derby. Don't want us to play them on a new manager honeymoon. Also mad that Gary Rowett has earned more points in 8 days at Derby than Zola has since taking over from Rowett months ago. 

He's saving us from relegation! Much like me setting a man on fire, putting him out and calling myself a hero.

15 hours ago, Cymbols said:

I think Zola disproves the new manager honeymoon theory.

10 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Good or a bad move in your opinion?

Don't know. We've scored enough goals since losing Bogle, but defensively things have gone down the toilet. Shipped 5 at Crewe, 4 at Portsmouth, 5 against Doncaster - and, in the classic Town scenario, lost lots of points from conceding in the 85+ minute because every manager at Blundell Park thinks defending a slim lead totally works.

No idea how bringing back Russell Slade will help. There's another classic Town scenario: re-hire a manager who had a decent season for us a decade ago; be shocked when it doesn't work out and we're in the shit again.

1 hour ago, GA! said:

No idea how bringing back Russell Slade will help. There's another classic Town scenario: re-hire a manager who had a decent season for us a decade ago; be shocked when it doesn't work out and we're in the shit again.

A club needs a strong "culture" for that sort of thing to work out really well and even then if it's only short term. Boro got away with it when Westleys experiment at Preston didn't work out because it hadn't been too long out and so a fair chunk of the team remained but as a general "rule" not something that fills me with confidence.

1 minute ago, lanky316 said:

A club needs a strong "culture" for that sort of thing to work out really well and even then if it's only short term. Boro got away with it when Westleys experiment at Preston didn't work out because it hadn't been too long out and so a fair chunk of the team remained but as a general "rule" not something that fills me with confidence.

Grimsby's slow decline out of the Football League began when we rehired Alan Buckley (for the second time!) in 2006. He managed us during our most successful post-war years, but absolutely shit the bed when he came back. We would've been relegated a year before we were if Luton hadn't started the season on -30!