2016 NFL Season

Schlitzbrille

In years past I'd heard Hall voters say that on decision day the final call often comes down to "can you write the story of the NFL without this player?"  There's been a shift in thinking in terms of looking at the full stat line vs. evaluating how important a player was at his apex.  Certainly, that's the main reason Davis and Warner are Canton bound.  Davis' peak was very short but he was just flat out absurd for a few years and got himself two rings.  Warner came out the obscure arena league world and got the MVP, a ring, nearly a second ring, and then just when it appeared he was done he had a resurgence and almost won another ring with a plucky underdog Cardinals team.  You really can't write the story of the league without either of them.

Even still, Owens being pushed aside because he was a dick to the media seems petty.  I'm glad Morten Andersen made it (kickers are people too!) but let's not pretend he was more important to the league than Owens.  I actually don't even know if he will go in at this point - he basically said last night that he no longer has any interest in going in as he views the honor as meaningless because it shouldn't have taken him three or more tries to go in.  They might leave him out thinking he'll no-show the induction.

I have a ton of gripes with Morten Andersen getting in over T.O. and Dawkins. He's overdue I guess, but 79% at FGs looks mediocre given our current perspective on kickers. All of his records are due to longevity and I have a bit of bias against compilers. But, seriously, a top 5 WR and a top 3 Safety missing out is ridiculous.

• Like 1

This TO shit is fucking ridiculous.  Randy Moss is the last receiver they can justify putting in before Owens.  After that, its absolute bullshit if any other WR goes in before him.

Seriously. Anyone who didn't vote for T.O. due to his personality shouldn't vote for Moss, either. Sure, T.O. was cocky. Buy Moss was a straight-up dick.

They both belong, and hopefully T.O. gets in next year.

Tony Gonzalez and Ray Lewis competed on the last episode of Lip Synch Battle. Even if you don't watch or don't like the show, I definitely recommend checking it out. Both had me laughing big time. 

Moss and T.O. going in together next year would be spectacularly entertaining.  I didn't think the committee was keen on doubling up on positions in a given class, but they went with dual running backs this year so who knows.

One of them though has to go in next year bare minimum along with the obvious first ballot selection of Ray Lewis.  A few spots would remain for Modern Era candidates, safety is still a huge logjam and Dawkins is the best of the bunch, but I'd still understand Lynch to at least lighten the jam.  Not sure they'd go a second year without O-line either, Joe Jacoby is still waiting.

They need to put coaches into the Contributor category and leave Modern Era to players only.  That's the clearest possible way to get in Don Coryell who truly did contribute to the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #BROKEN Busch said:

I can't shake the feeling that the Pats are gonna win by at least 2 TDs.  I can see the Falcons having some early jitters and making a few mistakes with the Pats cashing in straight away and forcing Atlanta to play catch up the whole game.

Of New England's 4 wins, 3 were by 3 points, and 1 was by 4. Unless the Falcons turn over the ball a lot, I don't see that happening without shenanigans going on.

As much I hate Brady, if the Patriots win I hope he's the MVP, just so I can grab some popcorn in time for Goodell to present the trophies.

Heidi has a friendly bet going on with one of the neighbors over the game: if the Falcons win, she buys him a Frosty from Wendy's. He buys her one if the Patriots win. (She's not a football fan, but her daughter and parents are all Patriots fans.)

Edited by GhostMachine