Mayweather v McGregor

Adam

A lot of the impression wrestling leaves is going to be based off what real combat sports do. In Kayfabe Ultimo went around and collected belts from everywhere. That makes the picture more impressive than if it were done the boxing and MMA way and he just got a belt every time he defended a single championship. He's a man covered in championships, not title defence trophies. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Astro Forky said:

It really doesn't though....again...we're talking about a scripted sport over a real combat sport.

I think we've done the "titles dont mean anything in wrestling" debate to absolute death on here, I maintain that to be deemed worthy of winning titles in pro wrestling is an achievement in itself, I will never buy the "titles are meaningless props" argument some espouse. 

No, wrestling titles do mean something for sure, but they aren't even close to being as impressive as winning MMA titles, because of the manner in which they are awarded. Yeah, you've got to be good to be in the picture, but at the end of the day, it's predetermined who gets them, whereas in MMA it's actually something you've got to be the best to win. 

3 hours ago, Rooney! said:

I think we've done the "titles dont mean anything in wrestling" debate to absolute death on here, I maintain that to be deemed worthy of winning titles in pro wrestling is an achievement in itself, I will never buy the "titles are meaningless props" argument some espouse. 

I didn't say they didn't mean anything so you're putting words into my mouth. In the context of their profession, titles should always mean something. However titles in combat sports are always going to be more impressive than those in a predetermined sport as Cymbols has stated above. While wrestling has somewhat adopted characteristics of MMA, and MMA has done with Wrestling, they are still two completely different athletic endeavors and their accomplishments within each realm will always be graded differently and on a sliding scale.

13 minutes ago, Astro Forky said:

I didn't say they didn't mean anything so you're putting words into my mouth. In the context of their profession, titles should always mean something. However titles in combat sports are always going to be more impressive than those in a predetermined sport as Cymbols has stated above. While wrestling has somewhat adopted characteristics of MMA, and MMA has done with Wrestling, they are still two completely different athletic endeavors and their accomplishments within each realm will always be graded differently and on a sliding scale.

Totally agree there, and didn't mean to come across that way my last post was more about the overall debate on titles in wrestling than your comments in this thread. 

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Dwight K. Schrute said:

@MDK why do you hate my threads so much? First your own personal Vanarama thread, now this.

I fancied going out to watch this fight but might just stay in now, they've both done my head right in during the build-up. 

I had no idea!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dwight K. Schrute said:

@MDK why do you hate my threads so much? First your own personal Vanarama thread, now this.

I fancied going out to watch this fight but might just stay in now, they've both done my head right in during the build-up. 

Fortunately there's a few of my mates having a sit off in their's so we are just gonna get a bunch of ale in, get food and probably have a PES/FIFA tournament and a poker night beforehand. 

Otherwise I don't think I'd be arsed staying up and watching it. That and paying for it. 

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting he will win, but I'd rather McGregor won. There are transcendental athletes who amaze you and earn your respect when they are completely dominant in their sport. Mayweather isn't that. I'd love for hubris reasons to see his undefeated streak go against a non-boxer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadJack said:

It's really in 'asteroid hits the stadium' territory for me, both are odious.

Oh, I'm sure for some they are. I also just feel that, given those circumstances, it'd be funnier/more damaging/etc if the boxer gets beaten at his own game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I want to see this but there is no way these guys are getting my money and I don't really feel like dealing with bar people during this thing

Is there free radio commentary of the fight in America? I'll be listening to it on Radio 5 Live here. Can you listen to that online where you are?