UEFA Champions League 2017/18

Lineker

12 minutes ago, Gazz said:

His pragmatism generally works though. Liverpool and Spurs play nicer, more aesthetically pleasing football than Man Utd but they have less points and inferior goal differences to show for it.

He's got 65pts from 30 games, that's on course for 82pts from 38. That's a title winning return in most seasons.

There's time and a place for pragmatism. That Sevilla side were there for the taking over both legs and he decided at the home game after drawing 0-0 away to be overly cautious against a team they could have battered at Old Trafford and got beat 2-1. They only looked like doing something when they were 2 goals behind with 10 minutes left. 

I think inferior is a strong word when they only have 1 better goal difference than us and Tottenham and only 5 points more than us and 4 more than Tottenham despite spending a shit ton more than both clubs over the last few seasons.  I would rather be in Tottenham and our position of playing aesthetically pleasing, more entertaining football and being a fan of a team that looks like progressing over the next couple of years than a team that really with the money they've spent and the squad they've got should be doing better than they are.  If we win our final 8 games we could end up on 84 points. Unlikely but it is possible. 

So really despite his pragmatism and money spending they aren't really that much better off if not hardly better off than the nicer, more aesthetically pleasing football sides. 

11 minutes ago, DMo Salah said:

350k a week isn't it? 

And he has sole rights to his image as well. Which is why Pogba, DDG etc etc aren't on more, cos we do the same for most of our top players.

Jose's negativity had no place in this game, at home against a Sevilla side that shipped 5 goals against Atletico at home recently. Should've gone out and attacked them.

Some people would like to blame the manager for today's miserable performance. Jose got it right, it's the players who got it wrong. It's the players who didn't wake up until we were 2-0 down and then decided to play with purpose. The team was set up to attack and defend and dominate Sevilla. It was the team that failed to utilize their attacks and failed repeatedly to take the game in their hands. To blame Jose and moan about how he's unfit to be manager is ridiculous.

From a podcast fan group.

Totally posted just for discussion and not to trigger Mad Jack. :shifty:

Wasn't good enough. We should've tried to get an away goal, and failing to do so led to the cautious approach last night.

Mourinho's got to take the blame, as well as the under-performing players. Lukaku played well though.

Still behind Mourinho though. I don't want the squad changing completely over the summer, giving somebody else a few seasons to build.

Couldn't be too down last night though. I said before it that if we can't beat Sevilla, we'd get murdered by a better side in the quarters anyway.

Spurs and United go out in the same round. The difference? I enjoyed watching Spurs play Juve over two legs. The first leg in particular was exciting. I only watched the first half with the sound off, Orient was on the wireless, and it was poor. I know I'm in the minority here but I do think teams have a duty to entertain.

8 hours ago, Noah said:

This is my punishment for taunting @MDK earlier.

Ho ho ho

• Like 2

For what it's worth, the person that made the above post in that man utd podcast fan group is normally considered the most even handed member on there when it comes to pro/anti Jose talk. I think one particular member had been winding him up with his over the top anti-Jose stance(the guy makes Mad Jack look like his biggest supporter in comparison)and he went completely reactionary post Sevilla loss, presumably fed up with the other guy.

Spartak 5-1 Sevilla.
Valencia 4-0 Sevilla.
Real Madrid 5-0 Sevilla.
Sevilla 3-5 Betis.
Eibar 5-1 Sevilla.
Sevilla 2-5 Atleti.

All within the last 4 months. Setting up like United did over the two legs is unacceptable and it's actually hurting my head trying to work out why.

You don't often get decent FB comments on the official page, especially after a loss, but this is spot on. I can't understand why we treated them as if they were a European powerhouse.

• Like 2

As long as Pogba debuts a new dance and hairstyle on Twitter, who cares? The boiled sweets and vacuum cleaners and other assorted Partners don't. So what if Sanchez gave the ball away a record amount of times in the Champions League, or Pogba's passing was so bad it would embarrass an under-9's player (and his coach). They both had fucking sick signing videos and that's worth multiple trophies.

OWf1uAl.gif