UEFA Champions League 2017/18

Lineker

23 minutes ago, MadJack said:

They do, Pep's just one dimensional and can't or won't adapt to the best way to beat Liverpool.

That's a myth. We've had one of the best defensive records in the league since October, and VVD has further improved it tenfold.

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

I really don't have a side in this fight but man, it's going to be utterly unbearable if Liverpool win the Champions League.

It's going to be fucking brilliant.;)

In all seriousness that was a 10/10 performance. Absolutely exposed them. Defended well and considering they were saying the Anfield atmosphere would t bother them....it sure fucking looked like it did. 

Brilliant evening. Best game and atmosphere I've been to. 

37 minutes ago, MadJack said:

They do, Pep's just one dimensional and can't or won't adapt to the best way to beat Liverpool.

Ahhh the old media narrative has grabbed another victim. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Pep also has a horrendous away record in Europe.

Although the Liverpool defence isn't as terrible as people like to pretend it is, really.   

The problem was at one point we had three players in Mignolet, Lovren and Moreno who were all starting and all capable of putting in an absolutely shambolic performance whenever the mood took them. Now you've only got Lovren in there (Karius seems less prone to brainfarts than Mignolet generally, although the jury's still out) so we look more solid. Generally we weren't as bad as was made out, though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Pep also has a horrendous away record in Europe.

Although the Liverpool defence isn't as terrible as people like to pretend it is, really.   

The problem was at one point we had three players in Mignolet, Lovren and Moreno who were all starting and all capable of putting in an absolutely shambolic performance whenever the mood took them. Now you've only got Lovren in there (Karius seems less prone to brainfarts than Mignolet generally, although the jury's still out) so we look more solid. Generally we weren't as bad as was made out, though.

Just now, therockbox said:

VVD has probably helped a little too. Generally seems to take pressure off of Lovren.

Van Dijk has been amazing since he signed. He's completely settled that back four.

Fantastic performance tonight. It'll be fun to see City having to attack them for 90mins next week.

Biggest thing is that clean sheet. Definetly not over by any shot but going to the Etihad with away goals potentially in our favour too? Perfect result really. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hobo said:

VVD has probably helped a little too. Generally seems to take pressure off of Lovren.

Yeah between him and Mignolet being out the side I'm not surprised we feel more solid and there's less panic when we're put under pressure. I think it had got to the stage where any change would have made a difference because the confidence in the back 5 had completely gone. VVD has been awesome, though, so I fully expect him to get injured against Everton.

Some superb goals in there. Oxlade-Chamberlain's shot isn't getting saved by any goalkeeper, it was an absolute rifle and right in the corner. Salah's cross to Mane for the third is delicious too.

But Kyle Walker suffers from my real pet hate for the first: ""one foot-itis".  He can clear that ball with his left foot, but he has to position himself to kick it with his stronger foot, and in that extra second it takes to do that, Firmino has stabbed the ball away from him for Salah to finish. When I was in a football team as a kid, we got taught how to capably use our weaker foot in situations like that, why does that seemingly not happen for all the pros these days?

Anyway, in the first half Liverpool were all over City and kept getting them in 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 situations and it worked great. Excellent width too, the full backs made such a difference to that. Second half, Liverpool couldn't keep the ball at all but defended very strongly and City didn't do enough to create good chances. De Bruyne was anonymous for a change, and man Van Dijk has improved that Liverpool defence so much. He looks a proper leader and an assuring presence that they really haven't had since Carragher retired. I fully agree with Klopp saying that he wanted the side to play more football in the second half though, people seem to be surprised at that online but I'm not, there was barely anything with the ball and it just kept getting given away cheaply.

Managing to keep a clean sheet is huge though, if they can nick one at the Etihad now the task is almost insurmountable for City. A thoroughly well earned victory tonight.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Liverpool were so good tonight, managed to make City look ordinary and Sane look average. Cannot wait for the second leg. 

4-0 Man City.

The only thing I can possibly be upset about tonight is Hendo getting a stupid yellow card to rule him out next week. He was absolutely excellent tonight and we will miss him at the Etihad.

Klopp seems to think Salah will be good for next week thankfully. Hopefully Can will be back to replace Hendo. Hendo, Ox, and Milner were all just so so good tonight. And Trent was incredible, so happy for him after his recent poor performances. He was constantly stopping Sane.

Edited by It's Pronounced Zoom-E

48 minutes ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

The only thing I can possibly be upset about tonight is Hendo getting a stupid yellow card to rule him out next week. He was absolutely excellent tonight and we will miss him at the Etihad.

Klopp seems to think Salah will be good for next week thankfully. Hopefully Can will be back to replace Hendo. Hendo, Ox, and Milner were all just so so good tonight. And Trent was incredible, so happy for him after his recent poor performances. He was constantly stopping Sane.

Was worth it to see Sterling get a kicking and get a massive sulk on and try and kick him and push him over. 

12 hours ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

You could be upset about the Liverpool fans smashing up the City bus, classic Scousers :shifty: 

2 hours ago, MDK said:

You could be upset about the Liverpool fans smashing up the City bus, classic Scousers :shifty: 

Wasn't the only coach that got smashed last night.