• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

And in a similar vein...

Oh yea been a fan of Defunctland for awhile now.  He makes some great videos

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hobo said:

Dan Olson doing a video about The Nostagia Critic's The Wall?

Yes please.

I never watched that episode of NC but I heard his take on The Wall was really bad

Anyone else watching Critical Role? I started it in June I think... got all caught up on Campaign 2 (which, after last weeks episode, feels like it is coming to a close in the near future), and now starting Campaign 1. Very entertaining and funny, and I feel like I have become a better DM because of watching it. 

Once I finish watching Campaign 1, I'm going to start Dimension 20. I've heard really good things about Brendan Lee Mulligan as a DM, and the clips that I've seen seem funny!

6 hours ago, Lint said:

I never watched that episode of NC but I heard his take on The Wall was really bad

Dan Olsen's video is honestly quite scathing on how bad the entire project was.

20 hours ago, Hobo said:

Dan Olsen's video is honestly quite scathing on how bad the entire project was.

Yea, that video was rough.  It really does come across as a vanity project for Doug.

I haven't watched any Channel Awesome stuff since the whole #ChangeTheChannel stuff happened

8 hours ago, Lint said:

Yea, that video was rough.  It really does come across as a vanity project for Doug.

I haven't watched any Channel Awesome stuff since the whole #ChangeTheChannel stuff happened

Yeah, coudn't tell you when I stopped watching Doug's stuff specifically. I sort of drifted from Doug to watching the other contributours videos by and large and ignoring his stuff outside of the anniversary films. Then YouTube pretty much killed the need to go to the site then and I am still subscribed to the 7-10 people whose stuff I would watch somewhat regularly.

Because my timeline on Twitter is still, to an extent, filled with ex-Channel Awesome producers, staff, and folks who were in that orbit - this has been the most joyous week on my timeline in ages.

It manages to critique Doug's work on so many levels. Everything from Doug's lack of technical skill/lack of interest in developing his skills as a producer/editor to his totally incurious and surface level readings of literally every film he ever watches. All done in a calm, precise and detailed manner. Which in and of itself is a funny contrast to Doug's bombast. 

I don't think it really says anything new about how Doug reads media, his comedy stylings or his talent producing big, bloated, projects that ultimately end up showcasing what Doug isn't very good at producing anything better than a 10 minute video where he yells at "Suburban Commando" or something.

What it does do though is lay out every single one of those issues Doug's work has succintly and clearly in a way that I don't think anyone else really has. And it's all the more delicious coming from a guy who himself was in the TGWTG orbit for a few years.

"Ooohhh new Lindsay Ellis video!  Oohhhh an hour and 40 minutes?  Thats a weekend watch!"

I think the last thing I watched in relation to TGWTG was Kickassia. I couldn't tell you if I was still watching Doug Walker even then, but that's where I dropped everyone, and only got back into Lindsay Ellis early last year. Is Linkara still a thing? Angry Joe? Spoony? Don't know, really don't care. Even in 2011/12 or whenever Kickassia was, that whole angry white guy review template was blase. I'm amazed Doug Walker is still doing the same shtick apparently a decade later... You have to actively fight against personal and professional development to achieve that.

Speaking of personal development: I can't believe every Wednesday morning at uni I would wake up early specifically to watch Nostalgia Critic, Zero Punctuation and AVGN back-to-back-to-back. To coin a phrase, WHAT WAS I THINKING?