Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

2 minutes ago, Liam said:

You can't incorporate a system designed to fix egregious errors and then choose to ignore its ability to judge on tighter decisions as well.

I agree. It’s simply taken some enjoyment out of the game. Can we not just say it was a failed trial and go back? 

• Like 1

It was supposed to get rid of arguments regarding incorrect decisions, but if anything it has made them even worse than before. 

Now we’re getting decisions overturned that people still can’t agree on. It’s becoming farcical. Look at the whole handball leading to a goal ruling, it’s inconsistent already. Especially when every single goal is being checked for anything and everything.

Either you want the decision to be right or you don't. If you don't, fine, get rid of VAR. If you do, then you have to accept that there's going to be a bedding in period whilst the game as a whole finds the best way to get it right. It happened in tennis and it happened in rugby and it's going to happen here.

• Like 2

I like VAR, you win some you lose some and when it comes to offsides it'll come right down to the microscope like that which is one of those where nobody would complain in the past if that had been given as a goal. There are inconsistencies that they definitely do need to look at, while I don't dislike the handball rule change, after all it's something people were crying out for which is why they bought it in. Then they've tweaked it after the Champions League final comedy a bit and people are still unhappy. That's what's going to happen with VAR and I'm happy to wait for it.

That said, isn't the rule that if it's the arm it doesn't count as offside? I know my eyes aren't great but it looks like only Sons arm is over those guidelines... and if that counts why doesn't the defenders arm which is then playing him onside? 

I think VAR is a good thing but some of the implementation and decisions have been a bit bizarre around it and that's just heightened the controversy.

There's too much money in football these days to have bad decisions be given and not have a facility to resolve it. When you're talking millions, they have to get the really bad decisions right. There is still going to be some subjectivity about the rest, but that's to be expected I guess.

What I don't like is how stringent it is as to what the ref can get help on. Like that lad for Brighton blatantly dived for a penalty earlier and it went to a VAR check, before resuming for a goal kick. VAR is looking at it anyway, why can't the official just quickly say "book the cheating little prick" rather than confirm no penalty and move on with no yellow?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liam said:

There's too much money in football these days to have bad decisions be given and not have a facility to resolve it. When you're talking millions, they have to get the really bad decisions right. There is still going to be some subjectivity about the rest, but that's to be expected I guess.

The problem is they seem to be dodging the big decisions (Lascelles obvious foul on Matip last week etc) that it was brought in to fix, and focusing on absurd things like marginal "offsides" that no one cared about and no one with any sense believes are being correctly adjudicated. They need to put something out to explain how accurate the offside thing is, and to explain how they're actually applying the clear and obvious error rule on other decisions, because I don't have a ruddy clue.

And would it really hurt the sponsors to have "VAR being checked" or something on the hoardings for 10 seconds, because it's shocking being in the ground and having no idea what's happening. 

• Like 1

Only good thing about Brighton bossing it today is that Aaron Connolly looked very good when he came on and looks a lovely player. Should have scored it weren't for Schar's miraculous clearance.

Our U21 national team is completely stacked at the moment making up for how shite the seniors are. Very exciting!

11 hours ago, Colly said:

The problem is they seem to be dodging the big decisions (Lascelles obvious foul on Matip last week etc) that it was brought in to fix, and focusing on absurd things like marginal "offsides" that no one cared about and no one with any sense believes are being correctly adjudicated. They need to put something out to explain how accurate the offside thing is, and to explain how they're actually applying the clear and obvious error rule on other decisions, because I don't have a ruddy clue.

And would it really hurt the sponsors to have "VAR being checked" or something on the hoardings for 10 seconds, because it's shocking being in the ground and having no idea what's happening. 

This was all covered in pretty significant detail on the first week of Premiership coverage. Every game had a segment about it and they were able to pretty much compare the positioning of players to the nearest centimetre. It has been out there.