Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

3 minutes ago, Twist said:

Came off Silva’s arm first though, so free kick before its a penalty.

Came off Silva via a quick deflection right next to the ball. Accidental if anything. 

I thought it was a pen but I knew once Liverpool went up the other end and scored it wouldn't be pulled back. With all the moaning about VAR so far, there'd be uproar if it quickly went from 1-0 Liverpool to 1-0 City via a pen. 

8 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Came off Silva via a quick deflection right next to the ball. Accidental if anything. 

I thought it was a pen but I knew once Liverpool went up the other end and scored it wouldn't be pulled back. With all the moaning about VAR so far, there'd be uproar if it quickly went from 1-0 Liverpool to 1-0 City via a pen. 

Both handballs were accidental though. Both arms were in a natural position. TAA didn’t make his body larger to block the shot.

If a goal had of been scored it would have been disallowed whether Silva intended it or not. 

2 minutes ago, Twist said:

Both handballs were accidental though. Both arms were in a natural position. TAA didn’t make his body larger to block the shot.

If a goal had of been scored it would have been disallowed whether Silva intended it or not. 

Looks quite a distance from his body to me, compared to his left arm anyway. I think he's very fortunate to get away with it personally. Let's just say pens have been given because of "handball" for far less. 

EJBsToBWkAEtnfy.png

Just now, Colly said:

Do we know what the timeframe is between an accidental handball and a goal? We had a bit yesterday where Joelinton did somewhere near the halfway line and we were all worried in case we scored...

I would guess that it needs to be in the same phase of play. Otherwise you might as well boot the ball out of play because you can't possibly score a goal...

There isn't one I believe, it's whenever the ball goes dead.

That photo of TAA is misleading as I think it hits his hip first, then deflects onto his hand which was inches away from the ball when it deflected.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

That photo of TAA is misleading as I think it hits his hip first, then deflects onto his hand which was inches away from the ball when it deflected.

I agree. 

The thing with "deliberate handball" is that we all know that the amount of pens given for handball would be minimal if it were applied as the rule suggests. It's very rare that a player deliberately handles the ball, yet we get pens given because they prevent an attacking situation. 

5 minutes ago, Gazz said:

That's the bit that I find quite interesting, as I believe in the fairly common case of a ref wrongly awarding a corner and a goal being scored directly from it VAR wouldn't rule it out? Far more important to ruin the offside rule...

Mad how bad City are at the back. Not signing another centre back in the summer looks more and more ridiculous by the week. The champions starting the season with three centre backs of Stones, Otamendi and Laporte is crazy when two of them are total shite. Even Pep barely trusted them together about halfway through last season, so why he wouldn't identify that as a potential weakness and not sign another centre back instead of the £60m or whatever that so far seems to have been wasted on signing Cancelo. Baffling tbh.

7 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I also think Neville and Carra are being harsh on Bravo for the Fabinho goal. It was just inside the post, not one of those long distance strikes that go nowhere near the corner. 

I think that was the Sky Sports "this is the story of the game we want to tell" thing. Earlier in the week there'd been a lot of Bravo is crap they're dead if they pick him talk so think they feel they've got to run with it. It was a good strike and it wasn't like he was in no mans land for it.

• Like 1