WWE 2K20

I've never played an arcade superpower sports game that's been anything more than mildly amusing for a couple of hours. I don't expect this one is going to break the mould.

But I'm not a very fun guy...

(clever pun underlines the serious point I'm making)

• Like 1

I'm not at all fussed about the Battlegrounds thing. It might do the trick for some people, and at least it's not just another version of 2K that keeps getting harder to deal with every year.

Fun news I learned about this morning though: Virtual Basement, a development team that worked on Ark very early in the process, is making a 3D wrestling game (3D models like 2K, not 3D like you need glasses) featuring over 60 independent wrestlers. People from Impact, ROH, MLW and New Japan are apparently all signed on.

43 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I know I've asked this before but I just got really lucky having no problems with 2K20 then? I thought it was a good but not great entry in the series with an excellent career mode

Same here... a few glitches here and there but I laughed and that was that. 

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

It turns out this game will be developed by Saber Interactive, the developers of Playgrounds.

Well, I had hope in this for a while.

Happy that it's not the same development team that will be looking into 2K22 or whatever though. Doing it this year is the right call regardless because of the console generation jump, hopefully they end up able to use the time well.

I never really had many problems with 2K20 either, though it clearly needs a revamp at this point.

You know, I had a funny thought just now, reading over some game discussion about the concept of microtransactions.

What do you value more, your time or your money?

For me it's always been time. I've always used the accelerator dlc to unlock all in WWE games, or gameshark codes to unlock all before that on the old PS2 games. I don't want to have to grind towers, historical/challenge modes or story/season modes, just to use caw appearance parts and moves.

Now that 2020 showed us that they can throw out individual caw pieces like hairs, shirts, pants, moves and taunts... Rather then buy a "story tower", which is essentially what 2K originals were, and then be forced to grind through them by playing them as well, id much rather pick, say, a hair style, off the "microtransaction store" instead, personally.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not in for any randomised lootbox shite. Just constant update of creation assets which I can pick and choose what to buy from. (caw parts, moves, taunts, entrance animations, winning animations, weapons, arena props etc)

I've long been a champion of the idea of longer-running DLC for these games to extend the lifespan of the companies making money, but also give them more time to properly develop sequels.

But I'd rather earn shit in the game than pay for it if there's an option. I've used the accelerator in the past because it comes with the Season's Pass, and when I was buying the WWE games regularly, I'd always get the Season Pass.

• Like 2

I like earning wrestlers and unlocking them best, but I'd also rather just pay a dollar if it means that I don't have to do some ridiculous fucking challenge to unlock Razor Ramon. 

I think it was maybe Smackdown vs. Raw for 2010 that was ok with it, you just unlocked everybody by winning matches and playing through universe mode. It was cool as fuck because I was Finlay or Regal, and I unlocked Finlay or Regal because Finlay or Regal challenged me. I can't remember which one I was. 

• Like 1

I've never bought a microtransaction in a game and I don't intend to start. I've never placed a bet either. I sometimes think I have a bit of an addictive personality, which means that stepping into anything "just one more"-esque that involves money probably isn't a good idea.

The accelerator is a little different because, as I understand it, it's part of the Season Pass and, in any case, it's a one-time purchase that does everything. If it got to the point where individual CAW parts are purchasable with real money, I wouldn't be interested.

Given the reputation of Visual Concepts' other big property, the NBA 2K series, I've often worried that the WWE games could become microtransation-heavy grindfests. With VC taking over development in earnest now, the future will be interesting.

I dislike grinding myself, where it comes to something that involves customisability. Given the option, and providing the price isn't outlandish, id sooner just buy the pieces I want, than deal with grinding wwe towers, or the pot luck of the draw + gridning of mortal Kombat 11's various krypton/towers mechanics and the randomised store offers that all piggyback off each other.

Yeah, I have a PS4 at my parents' place (I keep it there because if I had at home I'd play it all the time and get nothing done). So in the pre covid days I'd maybe go back there for the odd weekend. I don't have that much time to play so I don't want to spend hours and hours and hours grinding away to unlock some guy I've never heard of. I don't mind paying a fiver or so to unlock everything, but the same time I feel a bit of a sucker for paying to access stuff that's already on the game I just paid for.

1 hour ago, BuddyAwesome said:

Did anyone play the story mode of this game? Since I can't trade it in at Gamestop I'm tempted to load it back up and actually try it out. 

2K20 is actually the only one I've actually played through from start to finish. I liked it.