Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

I mean why shouldn't we think we can beat any of those three? Less than 3 months ago Portugal were struggling to beat Serbia and Luxembourg, Germany lost to North Macedonia and France were unimpressive in games against such footballing giants as Kazakhstan and Ukraine. 

Each of those teams has weaknesses that England can exploit. They'd all be tough games, certainly, but there's a constant stream of doing down the national team in these threads despite England consistently being successful - even with our best player being a bit shit recently.

4 minutes ago, MadJack said:

I mean why shouldn't we think we can beat any of those three? Less than 3 months ago Portugal were struggling to beat Serbia and Luxembourg, Germany lost to North Macedonia and France were unimpressive in games against such footballing giants as Kazakhstan and Ukraine. 

Each of those teams has weaknesses that England can exploit. They'd all be tough games, certainly, but there's a constant stream of doing down the national team in these threads despite England consistently being successful - even with our best player being a bit shit recently.

What success? Fourth place in a World Cup in which when we came up against someone good we either won on pens or got beat. Finishing 3rd in the Nation's League which no one really gives a toss about? 

I'm no England fan but it's a slog to watch them play. I haven't enjoyed any of the three games we've played so far in terms of entertainment. You say them teams have got weaknesses but we've also got a very risk averse, safety first manager with the one tactic and like for like subs. Out of the three I'd rather play Portugal tbh given that they kept leaving players unmarked and players like Gosen and Kimmich kept getting left open. But I still think they'll be too much. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

This thread is jokes - we all think we're shit, dull and that we should drop our best player. But we also fear no one and think we can do anyone. 

Proper England, this. 

I still think we'll get turned over in the next round. Roll over onto our backs, legs and arms stretched and bellys tickled whilst singing about winning two world wars and one world cup. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadJack said:

...we drew to Scotland.

Spoiler

I'm so sorry Kaney, metalman and all the other Scots please forgive me :crying:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

What success? Fourth place in a World Cup in which when we came up against someone good we either won on pens or got beat. Finishing 3rd in the Nation's League which no one really gives a toss about? 

I'm no England fan but it's a slog to watch them play. I haven't enjoyed any of the three games we've played so far in terms of entertainment. You say them teams have got weaknesses but we've also got a very risk averse, safety first manager with the one tactic and like for like subs. Out of the three I'd rather play Portugal tbh given that they kept leaving players unmarked and players like Gosen and Kimmich kept getting left open. But I still think they'll be too much. 

I still think we'll get turned over in the next round. Roll over onto our backs, legs and arms stretched and bellys tickled whilst singing about winning two world wars and one world cup. 

Risk averse managers win international tournaments. Let's not forget that the holders of this tournament won 1 match in 2016. 

To be clear though: You're right, England haven't been impressive, and in general the team isn't playing as well as they could or should. I don't think we're going to get turned over, especially by the likes of Portugal or Germany who have so many clear defficiencies.

11 minutes ago, GA! said:

...we drew to Scotland.

Reveal hidden contents

You seem to have mistaken my point for one saying England are the best international team ever and would beat any other team a gazillion to nil.

9 minutes ago, MadJack said:

You seem to have mistaken my point for one saying England are the best international team ever and would beat any other team a gazillion to nil.

But aren't you saying England can defeat anyone from Group F due to blips in their record, when England also have blips in their record? Every team has weaknesses. Nobody is perfect. But the rule has been certainly since I've watched football - when it comes to a team with an excellent reputation internationally like World Cup 2014 winners Germany, World Cup 2018 winners France and Euro 2016 winners Portugal, they tend to pull England's trousers down in knockout competition.

2 minutes ago, GA! said:

But aren't you saying England can defeat anyone from Group F due to blips in their record, when England also have blips in their record? Every team has weaknesses. Nobody is perfect. But the rule has been certainly since I've watched football - when it comes to a team with an excellent reputation internationally like World Cup 2014 winners Germany, World Cup 2018 winners France and Euro 2016 winners Portugal, they tend to pull England's trousers down in knockout competition.

I'm saying the blips show they have weaknesses that England can exploit, but yes, they could also exploit England's weaknesses.

I'd question the last part of that post though - aside from the game vs Germany at the 2010 World Cup, where England were clearly outplayed and second best, of the 8 knockout game losses since 1998 World Cup, England have lost on penalties 50% of the time, and against teams that did have excellent reputations internationally, like Argentina, Portugal and Italy.

but...but...wasnt it political ? 

in all seriousness. FUCK UEFA with a fifteen foot long pole, with its pointy end smeared in hotsauce. They are so moronic that it isnt even funny anymore.

So as long as the lads in Munich say they're lighting it up as a sign of their firm commitment to a more diverse and equal society #equalgame they're fine right?

Also, have another impenetrable stat:

I need some metadata, because that is meaningless.

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

So as long as the lads in Munich say they're lighting it up as a sign of their firm commitment to a more diverse and equal society #equalgame they're fine right?

Also, have another impenetrable stat:

I need some metadata, because that is meaningless.

I'm normally the stats guy but this is too silly even for me. I guess the point is England don't play upfield enough but I'd need to know what version of 'progression' they're using.

31 minutes ago, Adam said:

What a total joke. They're reaching parody levels now.

"Money
It's a crime
Share it fairly
But don't take a slice of my pie
Money
So they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a raise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away

"HuHuh! I was in the right!"
"Yes, absolutely in the right!"
"I certainly was in the right!"
"You was definitely in the right. That geezer was cruising for a bruising!"
"Yeah!"…"

Munich should light the stadium up and also have a small sign next to it that says "we respect the government of Hungary's ability to be raging bigots and do not intend for this statement in support of equality and diversity to be critical of the fascists and homophobes running that country." Think that would pass the non-political UEFA test.

• Like 2