Sky Bet EFL 2020/21

Adam

10 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Doncaster seem to be developing a track record of losing managers to other Yorkshire clubs.

Is Butler officially a player-manager? Will he still be leading the Belles?

I presume he'll still be Belles boss, but I can see him stepping back from playing now. Moore apparently told the squad before Saturday's loss at Ipswich and Butler was then not in the playing squad, but did take warm-up drills as a coach. He's been juggling multiple roles for a while and done okay seemingly so we shall see.

• Admin

Coventry City are set to make their long-awaited return to the Ricoh Arena.

Football club bosses are due to attended an English Football League meeting on Thursday night where plans for the club's return to the stadium were put forward.

While the new deal has not been formally signed and sealed, it is understood a deal is "all but agreed" and a formal announcement is expected to be made very soon.

• Like 1

• Admin

Coventry have completed a deal to return to the Ricoh Arena for their home matches next season. An agreement with rugby union’s Wasps – the owners of the stadium – has been reached and the two parties have signed a 10-year licence for the Sky Blues to play there until 2031, from the start of the 2021-22 season.

Coventry have shared Birmingham’s St Andrew’s stadium since August 2019 and will continue to play their home matches there for the remainder of this campaign. “This is fantastic news for the club, our community and most importantly the supporters,” said Coventry’s chief executive, Dave Boddy. “The deal is the best that the club has had at the Ricoh Arena in terms of access to commercial revenues, which will further aid the development of the football club. We can’t wait for fans to return to the Ricoh Arena.

“There is much work to do and planning has already started, but we ask that fans bear with us as we put in place what we need to for our return before we communicate further information. We know that the day our fans are able to come back and watch their team in Coventry is one that they will be already looking forward to.”

Wasps’ chief executive, Stephen Vaughan, said: “We are delighted that Coventry City are returning to the Ricoh Arena – it is great news for the city. It is time to put the past firmly behind us. There has been a massive amount of work going on behind the scenes to get us to this point as both organisations felt it was very important that we agreed a long-term deal to bring certainty and continuity, which would in turn allow us to build even stronger futures. August will now mark the start of a new era for both Wasps Group and Coventry City.”

Coventry left Highfield Road in 2005 to move to the stadium but, after a long-running rent row escalated, they spent the 2013-14 season playing their home games at Northampton’s Sixfields. They returned to the Ricoh Arena in September 2014, with Wasps moving in later that year. The ground, part-owned by the city council, was then sold to the Premiership rugby union club.

Coventry spent the next four full seasons there but Sisu, the club’s owner, could not reach an agreement with Wasps to play the 2019-20 campaign there and found alternative arrangements at St Andrew’s.

Andy Street, the West Midlands’ mayor who mediated between the two sides over what he called a “rollercoaster” past year, said he was “beyond thrilled” a deal had been struck in what he called a “monumental day for Coventry”. He added: “It was never right for a city of Coventry’s stature to have its football club playing its home games in another city, and I know what a sore spot it was for the fans who take such pride in both their team and their city. I am so delighted that persistence has paid off and we’ve got the positive outcome the city and its football fans so badly deserved.”

Meanwhile, The National League has secured a much-needed financial boost after agreeing a new £4m title sponsorship deal with Vanarama. The vehicle leasing company has extended a seven-year partnership with the National League – comprising three divisions – until the end of the 2024-25 season.

• Like 1

• Admin

Richie Wellens has left his post as manager of Salford City after agreeing to depart by mutual consent.

His exit comes little more than a week after Salford won the Papa John's Trophy final at Wembley, and just under five months after his appointment.

Wellens, 40, left Swindon in October to join the League Two club, where he won 11 and lost nine of 30 games in charge.

Salford, who offered thanks to Wellens in a short statement, say news about a new boss will be made "in due course".

Having sacked Graham Alexander to pave the way for Wellens' arrival at Peninsula Stadium, Salford are now looking for their third manager of the season.

Saturday's defeat by leaders Cheltenham left them six points outside the play-off places and with one win in their past eight games in the league.

Former Manchester United trainee and Salford player Wellens, a former team-mate of the consortium members Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Ryan Giggs, was brought in after he helped Swindon to promotion from League Two as manager last season.

Scholes had previously recommended the former Blackpool and Leicester midfielder as an appointment at Oldham, although he could not guide the Latics away from relegation to the fourth tier before his departure in 2018.

He was at the helm for Salford's EFL Trophy success over Portsmouth, a final delayed a year by the events of the Covid-19 pandemic, the club's first honour as an English Football League club.

The moral of the story - don't play in the Papa John's final!

• Admin

Rebecca Welch has become the first female referee appointed to take charge of an English Football League game after being asked to officiate the League Two match between Harrogate and Port Vale on Easter Monday.

Welch has officiated eight National League games this season. The 37-year-old, from Washington in County Durham, refereed the Women’s FA Cup final in 2017 and 2020.

“I am still kind of trying to let it sink in at the minute,” she told Sky Sports News. “I got the news on Saturday and still haven’t come back down to earth. It’s very exciting, it is really good for me and the next steps of my career. I am very fortunate to be given this opportunity and really excited.”

Amy Fearn was the first woman to referee an EFL game when she came on as an injury replacement in the 2010 Championship game between Coventry and Nottingham Forest. But Welch is the first to be given a game from the off.

She said: “My dad is my biggest fan so pre-Covid he came to every single game – he was over the moon. My mum doesn’t know a lot about football so she is excited but I don’t think she knows why she is excited. They are really proud so that is really nice.”

Welch told the EFL’s website she was looking to be the standard bearer for other women to follow.

“I do think it’s important to show that women who are in the top one per cent of their category can proceed to the next level so it definitely makes others down the pyramid look up and know that they can achieve the same.

“It shows that there is a real opportunity to young girls who are wondering if they are to take the whistle or are already referees they can aspire to be an EFL referee or like Sian Massey-Ellis operating in the Premier League.”

• Admin

Grimsby’s manager, Paul Hurst, has indicated Stefan Payne may not play for his side again this season after the striker was sent off for head-butting his teammate Filipe Morais during Saturday’s League Two defeat at Bradford.

Soon after Anthony O’Connor had put Bradford ahead the two players were seen arguing as they headed towards the tunnel at the end of the first half, with Payne then leaning in to head-butt the veteran midfielder.

The referee, James Bell, saw the clash between the two players and quickly took out the red card, though he had to follow Payne into the tunnel in order to show it. Grimsby’s Twitter account described the incident as “unforgivable”, and Hurst – who withdrew Morais at the break – was still angry about it after the final whistle.

“It is something you just cannot defend,” he said. “The two players have let the club down, the pair of them. They have let their teammates down and the fans down. As far as the game is concerned they made it more difficult than it needed to be. I didn’t see it because I was making my way down the tunnel, but clearly it merited more than being a little spat.

“Now I have to concentrate on what to do next for the good of the team. The club will be taking action. That will remain private but it won’t swept under the carpet. [Payne] will get a three-match ban for being sent off, but I have got some thinking to do before I decide whether he plays again for the club before the end of the season.”

The defeat ended Grimsby’s eight-match unbeaten run and left them rooted to the bottom of League Two, seven points adrift of the last safe spot with six games left.

I just have a soft spot for Pukki (him being a former Brondby player), and i hate Brentford because their chairman is also involved in Midtjylland, and cant seem to shut the frog up about anything :( 

The question here is will they already be relegated this time next year or will it go down to the final day?

More investment is needed to make Norwich a team capable of staying in the PL and I can't see that happening in a mid/post Covid environment.