Formula One 2021

Lineker

21 hours ago, JasonM said:

It's something that i've been seeing more and more of in motorracing and honestly this style of bully racing is infuriating in how excessively risky and unfair it is.

Put it up the inside, regardless of racing line. I either stick it, force the other guy to go off their own (natural) racing line, or cause an incident.

It's the stuff that I see on low-safety online races, people who can't overtake properly so they'll just park it on the apex knowing that as long as they get past it's all acceptable regardless of how they made it happen.

But this is happening at 300kph at the top of the sport. The best drivers are doing it on the weekly, and it's absolutely bollocks that they're allowed to do it at all.

The car in front should be able to dictate the 'optimal' racing line through a corner and the attacking car should be able to deal with that however they seem the most safe and effective to do so. If they can't do it (like by taking an impossible racing line that isn't even at the apex like Lewis did), then they should back off and try next time, or face significant consequences.

If Lewis had messed up more, they'd both be out of the race. The fact of the matter is, that result or this result are both very dangerous because you're going into the barriers at 300kph because of one attempted overtake that could've been attempted 53 more laps.

It also shows that Lewis and Mercedes are now truly racing at 100% (because if you race at your maximum, you're going to make mistakes, and they made a big one today). But kamikaze/divebomb racing shouldn't be rewarded, at all.

And right now the rewards outweigh the risks for the attacking driver (in almost all motor racing classes). Because you're not penalized hard enough, and in the 'worst' case nobody gets points due to DNF which is technically still half a win for the attacker because you'll stay even on points.

I hate it when I see it happen when I race online, I hate it all the more when I see the literal best drivers in the world do the exact same thing.

Should be real simple. Defending driver dictates the racing line, attacker should be able to take the corner without affecting the defender. If you can do that, you got your overtake. If you can't, you need to get penalized for it.

I'm not really a formula 1 guy, but are you basically saying he's driving like I do on Gran Turismo, using other cars instead of braking? Amazing.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm not really a formula 1 guy, but are you basically saying he's driving like I do on Gran Turismo, using other cars instead of braking? Amazing.

In a sense. Yes. The move that many drivers nowadays do is get overlap (front wheel alongside rear wheel) since the rules state that the defending driver has to grant you room if you have overlap. (The issue in logic is that by braking super late, you force an overlap, even if you wouldn't ordinarily get it normally)

But a move like Lewis into Copse not just relies on the defending driver giving room, but completely giving up the corner because it uses the threat of getting damaged/crashing as an incentive for the defender to not take the correct line through the corner.

It's stuff you see in racing games a lot, since virtual cars don't cost money. With drivers of poor skills simply divebombing the inside of a corner to force themselves up a spot, even if they brake and take a line that makes it (near) impossible to get around the corner in a natural way. Again, it's done in the expectation that the defender gets spooked to go out of the way and give the attacker enough room to get by.

It's become more and more common in motorsport itself though, since it's technically allowed (overlap == have to leave space), and thus a high-risk high-reward move like that tends to be one that gives significantly better odds for the attacker to get by than it allows the defender to keep their spot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

A new documentary about Michael Schumacher and which is fully supported by the seven-time Formula 1 world champion’s family is to be released on Netflix on 15 September.

Entitled SCHUMACHER, the film features contributions from his wife Corinna, his children Gina and Mick, and his brother Ralf.

Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm describes the film as the “family's gift to their beloved husband and father.”

It also features insights from many F1 personalities who either played a role in Schumacher’s career or who were his direct rivals, including Jean Todt, Bernie Ecclestone, Luca di Montezemolo, Flavio Briatore, Sebastian Vettel, Mika Hakkinen, Damon Hill and David Coulthard.

“Michael Schumacher has redefined the professional image of a racing driver and has set new standards,” said Kehm.

“In his quest for perfection, he spared neither himself nor his team, driving them to the greatest successes. He is admired all over the world for his leadership qualities. He found the strength for this task and the balance to recharge at home, with his family, whom he loves idolatrously.

“In order to preserve his private sphere as a source of strength, he has always rigorously and consistently separated his private from his public life. This film tells of both worlds. It is his family's gift to their beloved husband and father.”

The film has been produced by Germany company B|14 FILM GmbH, and is directed by Hanns-Bruno Kammertons, Vanessa Nocker and Michael Wech. The same team was responsible for a 2017 documentary about tennis legend Boris Becker, called Der Spieler.

“The greatest challenge for the directors was certainly to find the balance between independent reporting and consideration for the family,” said Nocker. “Corinna Schumacher herself was our greatest support in this.

“She herself wanted to make an authentic film, to show Michael as he is, with all his ups and downs, without any sugarcoating. She was great and brave enough to let us do what we wanted, and so we respected and kept her boundaries. A very inspiring, warm woman who made a lasting impression on all of us.”

Producer Benjamin Seikel added: “The documentary was a big challenge and needed a lot of time and sensitivity, considering the pressure that was put on the production from the outside. But thanks to a great team and a really great collaboration with the family, we didn't let ourselves get rattled.

“We're grateful that it's finally getting underway and excited about its global release on Netflix. The film was always intended to be an international documentary and we're confident it will be embraced as such.”

Meanwhile...

Formula 1 is planning on hosting pre-season testing at two venues in 2022, with the new cars making their on-track debut in Barcelona before a final test in Bahrain a few weeks later.

Traditionally F1 has tested at Barcelona, with either two or three tests lasting between three and four days each, however this season that was cut down to just one three-day event in Bahrain as a result of the pandemic which forced F1 to continue using last years cars with minor modifications, meaning the need for several days of testing wasn’t required.

However teams have made it clear that they will require an increased number of test days next year, given the 2022 regulations overhaul.

F1 is planning on hosting a total of between six and eight test days split between Spain’s Circuit de Catalunya-Barcelona and Bahrain’s Sakhir Circuit.

The first test is expected to take place in late-February (around the 23rd) with a two week break before travelling to Bahrain for the second test in mid-March (around the 10th). It’s likely both tests will last three days, although they could be pushed to four each following further discussions with the teams.

This would then lead into a Middle Eastern opening season double-header with Bahrain hosting the season-opening grand prix, like it did this year, followed by a return to Saudi Arabia on the following weekend, which is set to host its first ever F1 race later this year.

Teams have been open to split testing before – although it hasn’t happened since 2015 – and Barcelona and Bahrain provide the perfect mix of colder and warmer climate running, allowing Pirelli ample opportunity to collect important data on its new tyres.

What a bonkers race. Always nice for a first-time winner, and Ocon completely deserves it. Credit has to go to Alonso who had a defensive driving masterclass, not bad for a 40 year old. Great for a double points finish for Williams as well.

Lewis looked absolutely exhausted, understandable after his incredible drive, but he's also said that he feels he's still recovering from having COVID last year.

I suppose the only good thing is that it's taking a 2nd place and not a victory. Sainz inherits a podium again, he has a habit of doing that.

If anyone gets any penalty for the t-shirt stuff then it's a disgrace, but then again they'll be in Saudi Arabia soon enough.

Based on last season not including Sakhir, I'm fully expecting Drive to Survive to ignore this race.