Formula One 2021

Lineker

Toto Wolff: "Michael, I've sent you an email with some diagrams of where the cars should be, have you seen it?"

Michael Masi: "Toto, I don't access my emails during the race."

This is getting embarrassing now.

• Haha 1

10 second penalty, which is just bollocks.

He’s already benefited from avoiding a pit stop due to the red flag and he could have really hurt Max.

If that crash didn’t involve the world title contenders that would have been a tougher penalty. Definitely feels like they’re going soft in the hope it’ll tighten up the drivers championship.

3 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Wasn't there something last Sunday that involved Italians winning in England and penalties? :shifty:

Nope. Just a Sunday without any sports.

Just now, Chris2K said:

Tnat was a fairly brutal move as well. If Leclerc doesn't get out of the way that's another 180mph crash.

Can’t believe he’s gone for that move again. Really irresponsible. He got lucky LeClerc went wide. Again he didn’t have the racing line.

27 minutes ago, Twist said:

Can’t believe he’s gone for that move again. Really irresponsible. He got lucky LeClerc went wide. Again he didn’t have the racing line.

Really? He was always going to pull that move because he's shown on the first lap that he'll leave his car there and it's up to the other driver to move or crash. Charles chose 'move'.

46 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Really? He was always going to pull that move because he's shown on the first lap that he'll leave his car there and it's up to the other driver to move or crash. Charles chose 'move'.

It's something that i've been seeing more and more of in motorracing and honestly this style of bully racing is infuriating in how excessively risky and unfair it is.

Put it up the inside, regardless of racing line. I either stick it, force the other guy to go off their own (natural) racing line, or cause an incident.

It's the stuff that I see on low-safety online races, people who can't overtake properly so they'll just park it on the apex knowing that as long as they get past it's all acceptable regardless of how they made it happen.

But this is happening at 300kph at the top of the sport. The best drivers are doing it on the weekly, and it's absolutely bollocks that they're allowed to do it at all.

The car in front should be able to dictate the 'optimal' racing line through a corner and the attacking car should be able to deal with that however they seem the most safe and effective to do so. If they can't do it (like by taking an impossible racing line that isn't even at the apex like Lewis did), then they should back off and try next time, or face significant consequences.

If Lewis had messed up more, they'd both be out of the race. The fact of the matter is, that result or this result are both very dangerous because you're going into the barriers at 300kph because of one attempted overtake that could've been attempted 53 more laps.

It also shows that Lewis and Mercedes are now truly racing at 100% (because if you race at your maximum, you're going to make mistakes, and they made a big one today). But kamikaze/divebomb racing shouldn't be rewarded, at all.

And right now the rewards outweigh the risks for the attacking driver (in almost all motor racing classes). Because you're not penalized hard enough, and in the 'worst' case nobody gets points due to DNF which is technically still half a win for the attacker because you'll stay even on points.

I hate it when I see it happen when I race online, I hate it all the more when I see the literal best drivers in the world do the exact same thing.

Should be real simple. Defending driver dictates the racing line, attacker should be able to take the corner without affecting the defender. If you can do that, you got your overtake. If you can't, you need to get penalized for it.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Yeah, to be fair I’m not surprised in the slightest he’s gone for it again.

But he should be penalised for it the second time as well. The fact Charles moved and they avoided an incident doesn’t change the fact Hamilton put another driver at risk with flagrant disregard for their well being. Him doing it in the same race where he clearly shook Max up should end up with a bigger penalty second time round.