Formula One 2021

Lineker

Red Bull must be disappointed by how the season has started, given the team's general superiority in testing. If the Mercedes improves, as it's generally expected to, being 14 points down at this stage of the season definitely isn't what Red Bull would have wanted or perhaps expected.

• Admin

The British Grand Prix is to run an evening qualifying session as part of the weekend timetable shake-up triggered by the new Formula 1 sprint race trial.

The July event at Silverstone is to be the first to feature a 100km sprint qualifying race on the Saturday, that will decide the grid for Sunday’s main event.

The introduction of the sprint race means that the normal qualifying session that takes place on the Saturday is now moving to Friday – with there being just a single practice session on the opening day of track action.

The shuffle of sessions has also opened the door for a wider shift in the timing of sessions, with Silverstone moving everything back later on each day.

First practice on Friday will not begin until 2.30pm, with the qualifying session getting under way at 6pm.

The late start to action on Friday could help Silverstone increase crowd attendance as fans could still make it to the track after school and work.

On the Saturday, the second free practice session will get underway at 12pm, with the sprint qualifying beginning at 4.30pm.

The British Grand Prix itself will start at 3pm on Sunday, which is an hour later than normal.

F1 plans to run the sprint qualifying format at three races this year with a view to seeing if it is something that interests fans and broadcasters.

As well as deciding the grid for Sunday's race, points will be handed out to the top three finishers to offer an extra incentive to push for the win.

Stefano Domenicali, F1 CEO, welcomed the fact that all teams had got behind the sprint race idea, which is also set to be used at Monza and perhaps Brazil later on in the campaign.

“We are excited by this new opportunity that will bring our fans an even more engaging race weekend in 2021. Seeing the drivers battling it out over three days will be an amazing experience,” he said.

“I am sure the drivers will relish the fight. I am delighted that all the teams supported this plan, and it is a testament to our united efforts to continue to engage our fans in new ways while ensuring we remain committed to the heritage and meritocracy of our sport.”

2021 F1 British Grand Prix timetable (all local times)

Friday
FP1: 1430-1530
Qualifying: 1800-1900

Saturday
FP2: 1200-1300
Sprint Qualifying: 1630-1700

Sunday
Race: 1500

Speaking of IndyCar, the eventual winner, Rinus Veekay, is a perfect example of the flaws of the Formula system. He didn't have the funding to get even an F3 seat, let alone F2 or F1, but is clearly extremely talented and was fantastic during the race yesterday. I hope he gets the chance at F1, if he wants to now of course.

Meanwhile, there's Mazepin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Speaking of IndyCar, the eventual winner, Rinus Veekay, is a perfect example of the flaws of the Formula system. He didn't have the funding to get even an F3 seat, let alone F2 or F1, but is clearly extremely talented and was fantastic during the race yesterday. I hope he gets the chance at F1, if he wants to now of course.

Meanwhile, there's Mazepin.

If VeeKay ever went over to F1 i'd genuinely be happy and surprised. But I honestly think he's got a good chance to create a career out of IndyCar in the same way guys like Pagenaud and Dixon have.

IndyLights have the right idea giving scholarships to talented drivers who manage to impress, and it's depressing that F2/F3 is still something that you'll only get in if you come from money or manage to somehow bring in big money sponsors for long enough to achieve success.

17 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Hot damn that's good. We need more one off liveries, or a whole race of them like they have in the States.

I’d rather each team have two different one off liveries but no team runs them in the same race. So you’ve got something different on the grid.

Would love to see AM run in Jordan colours or Mercedes to run in brawn colours, etc.

It is certainly one way of getting the job done. Only problem is he might not be able to keep the pole if they have to replace something important which causes a grid drop.

5 different teams in the top 6 is exactly what the sport needs as well.