Formula One 2021

Lineker

Poor Lando, would have been top 3 without his track limit breach. Although by that logic he probably wouldn't have been if he hadn't breached the track limits.

Sergio out qualifying Max though is very interesting, and it's great to see Williams both in Q2 and not just making up the numbers in Q2 either.

On 16/04/2021 at 15:31, MadJack said:

Mazepin might honestly be the worst F1 driver of the last 30 years.

I mean the jury is still out because he's only done 100 meters in actual race conditions, but it doesn't look good when you see him struggle with the car in ways Schumi Jr. doesn't. (The car's a shitbox, but Michael keeps it on the track) AND Schumi consistently goes half a second to a full second faster than Mazepin in most sessions.

I think the worst thing is that he's just a flaming dickhead of the greatest degree, even taking his vile actions off-track, on-track he's pretty much acting out the worst traits a driver should have. The fact he raced Gio to the line during both their fast laps shows how immature he is, because *nobody* does that in F1 let alone in racing as a whole.

They're not hard rules he's breaking, but he's quickly burnt bridges with every team and driver on the roster with dumb shit like that. And he's a few incidents away from someone well and truly wanting to deck him in the paddock.

But hey, he's not leaving unless either the money dries up (fat chance) or his license is revoked, and I can't see the FIA having the balls to doing the latter to someone that brings in big money.

• Like 1

Sprint races are here for Silverstone, Monza and Interlagos. Yaaaay.

Post image

3 points, 2 points, 1 point for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the sprint race. Proper qualifying shunted to Friday so nobody can watch it. I'm sure there will be some entertainment, but I hate how this is messing with the sport.

It'll never work.

Why risk a pass in a sprint race for a couple of points at best when you could do a Russell and completely wreck any chance of points on a Sunday?

I personally find it quite irresponsible to put drivers in another racing situation just to qualify.

With Grosjean nearly dying last year, every race with more cars increases dangers for drivers significantly.

Also like Gazz said, how will they deal with a scenario where a driver bottles it and wrecks their car.

How will the FIA react if Hamilton crashes and their #1 name can't make it to the race start because of it. Sounds like they're potentially throwing viewers away by having drivers and teams take these pointless risks.

And odds are, even if the drivers are somehow not going to hold back out of fear for breaking the car, the grid won't be as shaken up as F1M wants it to be.

If it does, it happens because of incidents, and we return to the earlier examples why it's both morally irresponsible and financially stupid.

From a financial standpoint there is absolutely no point in Haas, Williams or probably Alfa Romeo taking part. They're the three least financially stable teams and are putting their cars at risk in a race situation for the sake of who qualifies at various points between #12 and #20.

I'd never want it in a million years, but if you're going to do a sprint race it needs to have some kind of reverse grid format otherwise the whole thing is pointless and only serves to further solidify the known order. 

• Admin

F1 will return to Istanbul Park for the 11-13 June weekend after officials announced the race in Montreal had been scrapped for a second straight year on Wednesday afternoon.

Canada was cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but F1 had remained hopeful of returning after listing the race in Montreal on the initial calendar.

But it emerged earlier this month that Canada looked set to be cancelled amid tight entry restrictions, ultimately forcing the race to be cancelled and Turkey to step in as a replacement.

“Due to the ongoing international travel restrictions in place in Canada it became impossible for Formula 1 to enter the country without a mandatory 14 day quarantine,” a statement from F1 reads.

“We are grateful for the efforts of the promoter and the authorities in Canada, Quebec and Montreal in the past few weeks to try and make the race happen.

“We will work with the promoter to ensure those with tickets from 2020 & 2021 races get the options of a refund or to transfer their tickets to next year’s race and look forward to racing in Canada in 2022.”

As part of the announcement, F1 revealed that a two-year contract extension had been agreed with promoters in Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix, running through to 2031.

“While it is disappointing we cannot be in Canada this season we are excited to confirm that Turkey will host a Grand Prix in 2021 after an amazing race last season,” said F1 CEO and president Stefano Domenicali.

“I know all our fans are excited by the dramatic start to the season and Turkey is a great circuit that delivers great battles on the track.

“I want to thank the promoter and authorities in Canada for all of their efforts in recent weeks but the travel situation made our plans impossible.

“I equally want to thank the promoter and authorities in Turkey for their ongoing willingness to host a Formula 1 race that shows the huge interest in our sport and the hope from many locations to have a Grand Prix.

“We have had very good conversations will all the other promoters since the start of the year and continue to work closely with them during this period.”

Turkey rejoined the F1 calendar for the first time in nine years in 2020 as part of the revised schedule.

The race in November saw Lewis Hamilton clinch a record-equalling seventh world championship with a stunning wet-weather drive as fresh asphalt and cold conditions caused drivers to struggle.

• Admin

Romain Grosjean will complete the final chapter of his Formula One career by driving Lewis Hamilton's title-winning Mercedes.

The 35-year-old Frenchman's time in F1 ended prematurely after he sustained severe burns in a remarkable fireball crash at last November's Bahrain Grand Prix.

But Grosjean, who has not driven a grand prix machine since the jaw-dropping accident, will take to the cockpit of Hamilton's 2019 Silver Arrows for a specially-arranged Mercedes test at the Paul Ricard circuit in France on June 29.

He will also complete a demonstration run in Hamilton's car ahead of the French Grand Prix two days later.

Grosjean, who competed in 179 races and scored 10 podiums, said: "I am so excited to jump back in an F1 car.

"It will be a special opportunity for me and to drive a world championship-winning Mercedes will be a unique experience.

"The first I heard about the chance to drive a Mercedes was in my hospital bed in Bahrain when [team principal] Toto [Wolff] made the invitation. Reading that cheered me up a lot."

Wolff said: "The idea first came when it looked like Romain would be ending his active career in Formula One, and we didn't want his accident to be his last moment in an F1 car.

"I have known Romain since his days in Formula Three when he won the championship. He enjoyed a long and successful F1 career and we wanted to make sure that his final memories would be at the wheel of a championship-winning car."

• Like 2