What Did You Watch Today? 2022

IDOL

Lot of people have now decided the Academy should force Will Smith to give back his Oscar, which would set a dangerous precedent when Roman Polanski, Adrien Brody, Mel Gibson, Casey Affleck, and Woody Allen among others still have theirs. Hell, Adrien Brody did his non-consensual kiss of Halle Berry at the Oscars too. Then got to give his acceptance speech for Best Actor.

This performative anger always being reserved for black men sure gets tiresome.

• Like 3

To be fair, Rock could have gone much worse. He could have made jokes about the infedelities in Will and Jada's relationship and Will supposedly being a cuckold. But then again, if he did that most people would probably have been on Will's side. 

How Will should have handled it was by yelling "Hey, that's not funny!" and mean-mugging him.

The thing I will say is that while "it takes attention away from the people who won awards" is a very good sentiment the reality is nobody was actually going to talk about most of the people or movies that won awards last night. Ironically, the one win that probably would have gotten talked about with fondness was... Will Smith finally winning Best Actor. Whoops.

13 hours ago, damhausen said:

Anyway, I lagged behind on most of the movies this year despite so many being on streaming since the ecosystem of streaming is so convoluted. Every year I make a concerted effort but I simply get worse and worse, especially post-pandemic as I'm just not in the theater as much as I used to be. Maybe for the next cycle that will change.

yeah. I saw five of the Best Picture nominees and wanted to see more but between having a real-ass job and the pandemic and just other things that started occupying my time while movie theaters were away, it became a real bad run of me wanting to, say, go see West Side Story but always feeling too tired or having something else going on. And ultimately, of the five nominated pictures I saw I'd say I strongly liked two (Licorice Pizza, Power of the Dog), respected one as pure spectacle but didn't find a way into it in terms of investment (Dune), thought another was a pleasant enough way to spend a little bit of time but it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before (Belfast), and thought one was the most ludicrous choice for a Best Picture nominee I've seen in a good while (Don't Look Up).

My two real regrets are not seeing West Side Story and Drive My Car. I'll probably watch the latter with my dad sometime in the next month or so, that seems like a near-Irishman level of time commitment so we'll have to block out time for it and probably take a bathroom break. The former... man. I really wanted to see that on the big screen and I just kept procrastinating and believing in a model for movie theaters that no longer exists (since pre-pandemic you could very much rely on the majority of the Best Picture noms being readily available in movie theaters until at least the week after the Oscars).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

To be fair, Rock could have gone much worse. He could have made jokes about the infedelities in Will and Jada's relationship and Will supposedly being a cuckold. But then again, if he did that most people would probably have been on Will's side. 

He could, but Rebel Wilson did that at the Baftas last month...

2 hours ago, IDOL said:

Was in the mood for a werewolf movie, and stumbled upon Wer. Going into it without any expectations, I actually quite liked it. Makes use of News coverage/found footage/classic setup pretty well. 

Wer is German for Were. 

(I know that because I've looked up translations of titles from a long-running German book series that I wish I could read....)

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

On 29/03/2022 at 02:28, GoGo Yubari said:

The thing I will say is that while "it takes attention away from the people who won awards" is a very good sentiment the reality is nobody was actually going to talk about most of the people or movies that won awards last night. Ironically, the one win that probably would have gotten talked about with fondness was... Will Smith finally winning Best Actor. Whoops.

yeah. I saw five of the Best Picture nominees and wanted to see more but between having a real-ass job and the pandemic and just other things that started occupying my time while movie theaters were away, it became a real bad run of me wanting to, say, go see West Side Story but always feeling too tired or having something else going on. And ultimately, of the five nominated pictures I saw I'd say I strongly liked two (Licorice Pizza, Power of the Dog), respected one as pure spectacle but didn't find a way into it in terms of investment (Dune), thought another was a pleasant enough way to spend a little bit of time but it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before (Belfast), and thought one was the most ludicrous choice for a Best Picture nominee I've seen in a good while (Don't Look Up).

My two real regrets are not seeing West Side Story and Drive My Car. I'll probably watch the latter with my dad sometime in the next month or so, that seems like a near-Irishman level of time commitment so we'll have to block out time for it and probably take a bathroom break. The former... man. I really wanted to see that on the big screen and I just kept procrastinating and believing in a model for movie theaters that no longer exists (since pre-pandemic you could very much rely on the majority of the Best Picture noms being readily available in movie theaters until at least the week after the Oscars).

Drive My Car is stunning and my favourite film of the year. It's that kind of rare three hour film where I can't see how you could cut a second. If it's possible for you to still see in a cinema, I can't recommend it enough. Hamaguchi, whose other film this year Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy is also excellent, deserved a lot more than to be played off both times.

This year's nominations and wins, as ever, don't reflect the insanely good amount of films that came out this year. I think of lot of stuff being held back, or delayed, because of COVID meant we got so much

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

We watched Death on the Nile last night and it was fine, i enjoyed it but it kept feeling like there was a 2nd gear and the movie never really shifted into it. 

Just finished the new Resident Evil movie. I was interested but I kept waiting because everyone said it sucked. Got it for 99 cents on Xbox and like I mean I enjoyed myself. It was fun and there was a ton of fan service which was what I was hoping for. There was a really terrible CGI monster but outside of that I can't complain. 2 hours well spent :) 

I think this proves if you are interested in something and think you'll like it just go for it no matter what the critics or other people say. You know what you like better than they do :P 

I started watching the new HBO Max series Tokyo Vice, and it's pretty solid. The protagonist isn't the most interesting, but, the setting, and the vibe, and the element of the Japanese underworld makes it worth the watch. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThrillhouseMAX said:

I started watching the new HBO Max series Tokyo Vice, and it's pretty solid. The protagonist isn't the most interesting, but, the setting, and the vibe, and the element of the Japanese underworld makes it worth the watch. 

I watched it tonight also.  I agree that Anson Elgorts character isn't the most interesting, but Ken Watanabe's character is.  Hideaki Itō and Show Kasamatsu as Miyamoto and Sato are also fun and intersting, though it feels like Miyamoto might be getting phased out.

I also don't get why everyone seems to like Samantha.  I mean she's...average?  I find Polina to be much more attractive.

What gets me is how everyone smokes everywhere.  Reminds me of a show from the 1970s in America where just everyone smoked all the time

Watched the newest Scream movie. I'm such a sucker for these movies because even though I realize it's cheesy as fuck at this point, I still loved just about every moment of it. I feel like they tried to be more gory with the kills, but I feel like it was missing something. I also didn't like the motivation behind the killers either.

• Like 2

I signed up for the AMC A List subscription thing so prepare for a lot more movie thoughts...

Ambulance is top tier Michael Bay. Still excessive (needs to be 20 minutes shorter) but dude still knows how to shoot a fantastic action piece.

Everything Everywhere All at Once somehow lives up to the hype and still delivers more. So fucking good. I hope that it coming out in April doesn't hurt it's chances at the next Oscars because it clearly deserves any and all recognition. 

• Like 1

The Northman is one to see on the big screen. It's a miracle this film exists. Between this and Dune, I'm so hungry to see distinctive directors given more opportunity to make their big budget films - it's a film that only Robert Eggers could make and I was totally into his vision on this. It's also just a wild ride from start to finish. 

• Like 1

I was watching Honey I Shrunk the Kids again, such a cool movie. Some of the effects don't hold up now, moreso the green screening, but when it's the more practical stuff it's still really amazing. Just the sense of scale the whole thing has, inverting the way you view everything where a blade of grass is suddenly as tall as a building and their backyard is now a vast jungle. There's a lot Rick Moranis comedy pratfalling than I remember and in general the comic relief sections with the adults fall a bit flat but the stuff with the kids is great. Just a really neat concept, where the mundanity of walking in your own back garden is suddenly transformed into this epic adventure.

Not sure what the ETA is on that Disney+ reboot, I know it obviously had setbacks with COVID and all. I'll be curious to see it done with more modern techniques.

• Like 1