Sky Bet EFL 2022/23

Lineker

47 minutes ago, FestiveJack said:

Isn't the 3pm blackout a law?

It’s a UEFA rule. Nations may choose a ‘closed period’ where football can be shown on TV. In England it’s 2:45 to 5:15 on Saturday, which is set by the FA. Scotland are the only other nation currently operating a closed period (with excepted dates).

So basically the FA can opt not to have a closed period or the Football League can choose to schedule fixtures at alternative times. Although with the latter the Football League would need buy in from its member clubs, which if they had and given the rule exists to protect lower league attendance, then they’d probably just lobby the FA to scrap it anyway.

Alternatively DAZN don’t broadcast the matches in England.

• Thanks 2

DAZN already have some EFL games for overseas viewing, Burnley v Sunderland is on Spanish DAZN Friday, so presumably this is for UK rights.

I've always thought it might be a good idea to go the other way, drop the Premier League 3pm games and scatter them round the weekend for TV and keep 3pm for EFL and non league. And I say that as a matchgoer, it honestly wouldn't bother me that much and to be honest wouldn't make much difference looking at Newcastle's TV schedule.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

It looks as though Sheffield United will join them. Unless something changes, that will be a young English manager in the Premier League, which is a good thing.

I think you'll find the Chelsea manager is English and only 44.

Warnock's done a cracking job so far with Hudds. They might actually survive the drop. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

The former Crawley manager John Yems has had his ban from football extended to three years for 12 breaches of anti-discrimination rules.

In more positive news, myke's Orient are promoted (despite a power cut and a defeat at Gillingham)!

• Like 2

Despite all the off-field silliness, we're now just 3 points from 4 games away from getting promotion. Really hope we don't fluff this now.