Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

Weird question, but that penalty check in the Liverpool game happened when the ball was in play, and the clock doesn't go back, so what happens to those 90 seconds? Obviously nothing interesting happened, but the kind of things bookies are interested in, passes etc, are they counted? Will somebody please think of the xG?!?

On 07/10/2023 at 16:18, Gazz said:

I don't think the Iraola experiment is working.

I think the Iraola experiment is working.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Villa have been a wonderful mix of landing an incredible manager - I would absolutely say he's the 3rd best manager by some distance - who has helped good players develop even more, an ownership willing to splash some significant cash on quality signings (Carlos, Torres, Bailey, Diaby, Tielemans since he's on huge wages apparently), and players working very hard together on and off the ball. Also huge credit to Diego Carlos for how amazing he's been after coming back from injury.

Pep's really having a hard time at the moment.

"What they demand of us, they didn't demand of our friends - at all," he said.

"There is only one team that is going to 'fail' to win the Premier League, that is us. For the rest, [winning] it is a big success. Any team.

"In the end, if they don't win - Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, everyone - it is normal because City should win. It is unfair. It is difficult to handle that every week, every three days, for years and years."

Yes, it must be really difficult being the best team with the biggest resources who win all the time, having it pointed out when they do historically worse than they or Pep himself have before. Where's that violin...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Everton would be in the top half if not for the points deduction. They're doing deceptively well.

Only a few points off a European place, even. Dyche has done a brilliant job, the squad is very small and we didn't have much to reinforce in the summer. I'm really pleased with the progress this season.

I did mean my post above more in the sense of "look how Everton have improved in the last 6 months while Chelsea have [checks notes] spent a lot of money to just explore a new kind of crisis", rather than any suggestion of Everton being bad right now.