The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

6 hours ago, Baddar said:

I've had my original PS4 since launch, and I've said since the Pro came out that I'd upgrade if mine broke down, but wouldn't bother otherwise. Now that we're even closer to the next generation it seems like an even smarter move. Just hoping my console holds out for that long. Haven't had a single issue with it yet, either.

I'm in the same boat. Even though some times it sounds like it's about ready to blast off.

13 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Man, I've had PS4 since near launch and I feel like it's way too soon for the PS5. Then I realize it was darn near six years ago now. That doesn't even seem right. 

Right? It was the first (and likely only) console I got at launch, and I feel like it's just starting to hit its stride. 

JUst unlocked the ability to do the challenge tasks in Spider-Man. I don't think I'm gonna like them (not a fan of time trials)..... do I have to get gold on all of them to get the plat? Speaking of... what all do I need to do? All costumes? All abilities? All gadgets?

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

JUst unlocked the ability to do the challenge tasks in Spider-Man. I don't think I'm gonna like them (not a fan of time trials)..... do I have to get gold on all of them to get the plat? Speaking of... what all do I need to do? All costumes? All abilities? All gadgets?

....and done. Mostly silver, but some gold (on the fight/stealth ones)

So I went to Gamestop today to get a gift for my middle kid and they were selling No Man's Sky for ten bucks. Was on "clearance." The cashier told me stuff I already knew (how much of a letdown it was pre-patch) but like... it's literally the same game and they were just selling it for ten bucks, new, sealed. Cheaper than the USED even.

So that's how I got No Man's Sky.

So now I have:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Spidey
No Man's Sky
LittleBigPlanet 3

and a couple old PS2 games (including the Kingdom Hearts compilation that just came out).

• Like 3

Spider-Man is soooo much fun. Happy I waited until after RDR2 to play it or I may have left it on the side. I’m not done a few stories but cleaned up the towers, backpacks and thugs so that was quite a few hours of repetitive fights but sooooooo fun.

• Like 1

Just finished Spider-Man. Such a good game! Although I feel the main story was a little short.

Got one my trophy to go for the plat... just gotta 100% the districts. Except that means like... 40 crimes.

the last scenes with Otto and Aunt May were both so well done. You could hear the emotion in the voice acting.... It broke my heart

:(

Although I do hope they do a sequel! They have to right, with the Mile's bite right? Plus would love to see Venom and Carnage and the rest of the villians who didn't show up!

Probably won't play the dlc though. Anyone wanna break down what happens in it?

That’s what’s keeping me from picking it up. I fear I’d end up doing a lot of grinding and repetitive combat. When playing Red Dead, I’m always thinking that I’ll get every Legendary Animal, every cigarette card, etc. There’s enough variety there to make it worth it, but I feel it’s a major exception amongst video games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josh to the World said:

That’s what’s keeping me from picking it up. I fear I’d end up doing a lot of grinding and repetitive combat. When playing Red Dead, I’m always thinking that I’ll get every Legendary Animal, every cigarette card, etc. There’s enough variety there to make it worth it, but I feel it’s a major exception amongst video games.

THe combat can be repetitive, but the main reason to play is for the story, voice acting, and of course, the quips. And I guess web swinging is pretty swell too. 

On 04/01/2019 at 19:59, Baddar said:

I've had my original PS4 since launch, and I've said since the Pro came out that I'd upgrade if mine broke down, but wouldn't bother otherwise. Now that we're even closer to the next generation it seems like an even smarter move. Just hoping my console holds out for that long. Haven't had a single issue with it yet, either.

Only issue I've had with mine since launch was with disks not ejecting or inserting. Nothing a screwdriver didn't fix. 

If I had a choice of a pro or ps4 originally I'd go pro all day but I'm in the same boat as long as there's no issues I'm best waiting 

9 hours ago, Ruki said:

Just finished Spider-Man. Such a good game! Although I feel the main story was a little short.

Got one my trophy to go for the plat... just gotta 100% the districts. Except that means like... 40 crimes.

Hide contents

the last scenes with Otto and Aunt May were both so well done. You could hear the emotion in the voice acting.... It broke my heart

:(

Although I do hope they do a sequel! They have to right, with the Mile's bite right? Plus would love to see Venom and Carnage and the rest of the villians who didn't show up!

Probably won't play the dlc though. Anyone wanna break down what happens in it?

Did you stick around for the post credit scenes?

6 hours ago, Ruki said:

I did!

Also, Holy shit.... Like 30 minutes of credits.

I did have a question.

Hide contents

what was up with Harry's tendrils thingy

Spoiler

Harry's not going to be Hobgoblin. Harry's going to be Venom. That was the symbiote.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2019 at 20:42, Meacon said:

Man, I've had PS4 since near launch and I feel like it's way too soon for the PS5. Then I realize it was darn near six years ago now. That doesn't even seem right. 

For me its because we aren't seeing games on any platform that look like they have pushed the limits of what is possible, or something on PC that looks beyond what a console can do.  The Pro and the XboneX are pretty close to where PCs are currently at in terms of performance.  It's hard to visualize what a next gen game would look like at this point.

• Like 1

Phil Spencer said that Microsoft is looking to address the gap between GPU and CPU during the next console generation, and so I wonder if that's what we'll see with Sony too. In theory, that ought to mean a focus on smoother frame rates, rather than graphical power. Maybe there'll be more options to customise performance vs. graphical detail, which is something that the Pro and X are already doing in some cases.