The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I've got X preordered and I'll be grabbing a 2DS as well. Don't have a 3DS, will never use the 3D, and the 2DS is cheaper.

I ordered a 2DS today, let's exchange notes >_>

I kind of ordered it on a whim - my girlfriend was playing X, and I just fell utterly in love with it. Figured that, while I can't really justify the expense, I can afford it at the moment, and ordered the 2DS and the game. Been checking reviews since, and it sounds great - the only thing which bothers me is the placement of the analog stick, but I have faith in Nintendo to make controllers that work, and everything I've read suggests it's more intuitive than it looks. The only other complaints I've seen are that there's no stereo sound and it's not as loud as the 3DS or XL - but I never play my DS on anything like full volume anyway, so that won't bother me - and that it might get scratched easily because of the lack of hinge, which is common sense, really. My DS pretty much never leaves my room, so that's not a huge issue, and I can either buy a case or use a makeshift one if I do decide to take it anywhere.

1382360_10153529503255001_654908642_n.jp

Isn't this exciting!

For now, I'm just going to keep it in the plastic sleeve it arrives in. It's flimsy, but it'll do the trick. Beyond that, I probably have an old carry case for something or other that it will fit into - as I said, I'm not planning on taking it out with me all that often, though I am off to London on Saturday and could do with taking advantage of Street Pass while I'm there, so I'll find something for it then.

It's currently charging, so I've yet to actually play it, having only got it a couple of minutes ago, but size-wise it's a lot more comfortable to hold than I had imagined, and the placement of the buttons is a lot better than it looks from photos.

"PLAYS IN 2D!" is the most hilariously underwhelming advertised feature of any gaming device ever made.

So, been testing the 2DS out most of this afternoon.

So far, so good. Played around with AR Cards - obviously not as impressive as they are in full 3D, but looked better than I expected with the 2D output.

My girlfriend is shocked by how small it is (*snicker*), but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Mostly played Pokémon Y on it, and that's been great fun. The analog stick seemed a bit clunky at first but, aside from that, no problems with controls or anything like that. The console itself feels a bit Fisher Price at times, being basically a solid lump of plastic, but I didn't buy it to look pretty, and it seems solid enough. I'm using an old Skull Candy headphones drawstring bag and the console's plastic sleeve to store it for now, but will probably end up investing in a case.

Other software on there is cool enough, though I don't know how much use I'd get out of the majority of it. Stuff like the pedometer and whatnot is just a fun little gadget either way. Doubt I'll ever use the camera for anything other than showing off with AR cards and the Face-Raiders game.

Downloaded the new Ace Attorney demo, yet to check it out. As with all online games shops, I find it fucking outrageous that they feel they can charge the full sales price for a digital copy - if I'm not receiving a box, disc, manual, artwork and so on, and you're not shipping anything, how the fuck do you justify the same costs with so few overheads? What's the incentive to buy digital? If I'm too lazy to get off my arse and get down to Blockbuster to buy it? What makes it even more egregious is that games are cheaper in Jersey than in the UK due to the lack of VAT on them, which means that I'd actually be charged a good £5 more to buy digital than to buy the physical copy. Fucking outrageous.

I'm still not really sure how Street Pass or Spot Pass work, or what the difference is between the two. They seem to only work if you're on "Sleep" mode, which seems an absurd choice. Or did I misunderstand that? The first time I used it, it picked up that my girlfriend was sat next to me - but only when I had the console on "sleep" - yet her's didn't register me. Is it not supposed to work both ways? Again, seems odd. I don't understand it yet.

So far so good, anyway. I'll post friend codes or whatever later.

Yeah, Nintendo is really fucking bad for the digital prices. I figured I'd just download Ocarina of Time 3D, because it's been out a while now and it's digital, surely it'd be about the same price as I can get it online, if not less? Nope. £10 more.

It's kind of hilarious when you consider a game on Steam, for example, is typically anywhere from £10-15 cheaper ON LAUNCH than it is in the shops. That's not even keeping in mind the crazy deals you can get.

Does Nintendo ever do any decent deals? I don't know about 360, but PS+ is fantastic value for money with their deals. Two free games a month on top of discounts on various digital titles and even the odd Christmas sale or something that really slashes prices? I mean, it's still not amazing, but it's nice they at least try.

I was kind of shocked at the £5 prices of all the NES games on the virtual console when I can get stuff like Castlevania: Sympthony of the Night on the PSN for £2 :P

I've not seen many deals, but I've not often looked - on the Wii, it was all done with points, with no option to buy directly using cash. At least that way, you could convert the "Star Points" you get for registering a product into "Nintendo Points" to download a game - now, it looks like all I can get out of them is some fucking stickers, or shoelaces.

I'm sure the WiiU had some stuff on offer, and there's usually a sale/discount option on the eShop, though whether it's anything substantial or not, I couldn't tell you.

Nothing like some of the insane games given away free or dirt cheap on PS3, especially with Playstation+.

There's really no justification for the download-only price to be anything like as close as the physical copy, though. I hadn't even factored in the chances of the physical copy going down in price over time, either. The fact that they still charge £40 for a game months after release is ridiculous - and, as I said, more than I'd be charged for the physical copy anywhere.

So, been testing the 2DS out most of this afternoon.

So far, so good. Played around with AR Cards - obviously not as impressive as they are in full 3D, but looked better than I expected with the 2D output.

My girlfriend is shocked by how small it is (*snicker*), but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Mostly played Pokémon Y on it, and that's been great fun. The analog stick seemed a bit clunky at first but, aside from that, no problems with controls or anything like that. The console itself feels a bit Fisher Price at times, being basically a solid lump of plastic, but I didn't buy it to look pretty, and it seems solid enough. I'm using an old Skull Candy headphones drawstring bag and the console's plastic sleeve to store it for now, but will probably end up investing in a case.

Other software on there is cool enough, though I don't know how much use I'd get out of the majority of it. Stuff like the pedometer and whatnot is just a fun little gadget either way. Doubt I'll ever use the camera for anything other than showing off with AR cards and the Face-Raiders game.

Downloaded the new Ace Attorney demo, yet to check it out. As with all online games shops, I find it fucking outrageous that they feel they can charge the full sales price for a digital copy - if I'm not receiving a box, disc, manual, artwork and so on, and you're not shipping anything, how the fuck do you justify the same costs with so few overheads? What's the incentive to buy digital? If I'm too lazy to get off my arse and get down to Blockbuster to buy it? What makes it even more egregious is that games are cheaper in Jersey than in the UK due to the lack of VAT on them, which means that I'd actually be charged a good £5 more to buy digital than to buy the physical copy. Fucking outrageous.

I'm still not really sure how Street Pass or Spot Pass work, or what the difference is between the two. They seem to only work if you're on "Sleep" mode, which seems an absurd choice. Or did I misunderstand that? The first time I used it, it picked up that my girlfriend was sat next to me - but only when I had the console on "sleep" - yet her's didn't register me. Is it not supposed to work both ways? Again, seems odd. I don't understand it yet.

So far so good, anyway. I'll post friend codes or whatever later.

A large part of the industry has totally failed to grasp the digital pricing issue. I'm not sure how they can miss the disconnect between them wanting to push digital distribution due to lack of shipping and physical publication costs and not passing any of that saving onto the end user. It's ludicrous, even the least-informed end user can see something not right there.

That said, I bought Pokemon Y digitally through Game, £34.99 as opposed to £39.99 for the physical copy.

As for the 2DS, I really like it. As you say, the sticks and buttons look more weirdly placed than they feel and it's a little plasticy. But I like the slice-bread shape. Very comfortable to hold.

The digital pricing issue comes from not wanting to piss off retailers, Sony and MS are guilty too. Nintendo could do themselves a lot of favors by turning Club Nintendo into something like PlayStation Plus though. They're basically gave away the NES Zelda through it now, so the architecture is there, they just need to dive in.

Making it the same price I can follow. Making it cost more blows my mind.

Same cost means that it is likely someone on the couch will say "Id rather fill a little HD space than drive to get this. Its worth just for that." In which case, as Dragsy pointed out, they make MORE because there's no shipping, packaging, markup... its a huge profit that doesn't piss off the stores. Making it 10 bucks or even ten pounds more is just straight up unintuitive.

There's the Wii Mini, though - I imagine it's only the classic Wii they've stopped production of in favour of that one. They usually continue producing consoles years after the console's successor is released. They didn't stop production of the Famicom until sometime in the 2000s, if I remember correctly.

Ugh. I'm so tempted to pick up a 2DS. I literally just bought a WiiU two weeks ago. RPS wants Ace Attorney games so badly and doesn't want shitty iPhone ports.