The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24160150

Hiroshi Yamauchi has died, aged 85.

I just finished reading a book on the history of Nintendo, so this was more shocking to me than I might have otherwise expected just because I'd read so much about him so recently.

He was a fascinating figure, and despite a lot of reticence about Nintendo becoming an "entertainment" company when he wanted it to be a communications company (he was behind the Famicom modem, and wanted people to be able to trade stocks using a SNES), he was an absolute visionary.

Without Yamauchi, there'd be no Miyamoto, and without the two of them, video games as we know them could well be entirely different. His final acts as president of Nintendo were to turn down his $9 million+ retirement pension, and to suggest that the next handheld console (which went on to be the DS) should mimic the design of the Game & Watch.

• Like 1

Got a Wii U... love it. Mario is a blast and Wind Waker HD is just jaw-dropping. Looks like I picked a good weekend to get it too, Target has buy 2 get 1 games starting tomorrow.

Add "sugarazor" if you're one of the other 3 people who own one

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Wii U... love it. Mario is a blast and Wind Waker HD is just jaw-dropping. Looks like I picked a good weekend to get it too, Target has buy 2 get 1 games starting tomorrow.

Add "sugarazor" if you're one of the other 3 people who own one

Did you pick up the Zelda console? I'm very highly considering doing so today. I've become majorly disillusioned with the XBone and PS4.

Oh - and if I do decide to pick one up, I was just wondering:

- What controllers should I pick up with it?

Though, since when was it okay to have the charger sold separately? Seriously, Nintendo?

What, really? My wife just got a 3DSXL and the charger definitely came with it--right there in the box. Who'd you buy from? I think you got hosed.

And yeah, I have no idea why Nintendo doesn't just open the floodgates as it pertains to their back catalog in their online shops. Getting a select few NES games (to be fair, most of them are good) and a mixture of Game Boy and (ugh) Game Gear games is a bit shit since old handheld games don't really age well. No reason why I shouldn't be able to play Link to the Past on the can. :shifty:

Though, since when was it okay to have the charger sold separately? Seriously, Nintendo?

What, really? My wife just got a 3DSXL and the charger definitely came with it--right there in the box. Who'd you buy from? I think you got hosed.

And yeah, I have no idea why Nintendo doesn't just open the floodgates as it pertains to their back catalog in their online shops. Getting a select few NES games (to be fair, most of them are good) and a mixture of Game Boy and (ugh) Game Gear games is a bit shit since old handheld games don't really age well. No reason why I shouldn't be able to play Link to the Past on the can. :shifty:

Charger definitely doesn't come in the box. I get enough people moaning at me at work to know that. It's apparently to reduce shipping costs according to Nintendo. I call bullshit.

I'm thinking either that or you guys got some kind of bundle whilst I got the bog standard. But yeah, Mega Man 2, just as hard but god damn satisfying as ever. Going to play Metroid for the first time ever next, then Castlevania whilst I wait for Pokemon X to turn up.

Pffffft. Mega Man 2 is the easy one.

I'm going to warn you now that Metroid is going to be super-confusing because you basically get no help. It's still a wonderful game, but I'd imagine going into it as a newbie would be daunting. Just remember to go left when you start.

Oh, so this isn't totally me replying to TKz stuff, uh, I got New Super Mario Bros. 2 and it kind of blows, guys. Worst Mario platform game ever by a country mile.

Oh yeah, it's awful. And my store doesn't help either, they advertise the bundle prices (console and game, whatever), but fail to mention that you need to pay an extra tenner to charge the fucking thing.

Between that and the "hinge" problem mentioned a few pages back, I'm really surprised I never heard either of these issues. Why don't people talk about these things?

Yeah, that's literally the first I've ever heard of that, and I know plenty of people who have a 3DS. Heck, my girlfriend has one and used to work in HMV, I'd have thought she'd have at least once complained about customers complaining about it. Maybe they just did a package deal there or something?

Is New Super Mario Bros 2 the one that's all about getting an obscene amount of coins? Yeah, that one's shit.

The last few Mario side-scrollers have been weird. I like New Super Mario Bros U, and the last Wii one, but they definitely feel like there's something missing. Nintendo don't seem to be sure how far they can get away with changing the formula, and how much they need to play off nostalgia, and it falls into a weird middle ground, where it's fun, but it all feels like we've been here before.

But we know we have a lot of loyal, returning customers so why not save them some money by not making them receive another charger when they already have one?!