The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Is New Super Mario Bros 2 the one that's all about getting an obscene amount of coins? Yeah, that one's shit.

The last few Mario side-scrollers have been weird. I like New Super Mario Bros U, and the last Wii one, but they definitely feel like there's something missing. Nintendo don't seem to be sure how far they can get away with changing the formula, and how much they need to play off nostalgia, and it falls into a weird middle ground, where it's fun, but it all feels like we've been here before.

I haven't been really into any of the New Super Mario Bros. series. It's weird, but the only Mario games I've liked in the last few years have been the 3D ones (Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, 3D Land, etc.). The "New" games are all okay (except NSMB2) but feel really samey, right down to using the same music. I don't know how Nintendo has managed to put out two Mario games in the Galaxy series that were incredibly innovative and fun and then followed up by doing more "get the flower and kill some goombas" games basically forever.

I never brought up the hinge thing because, frankly, I've never broken any myself. My wife and daughter have broken all of the DS hinges that we've ever broken. My wife will sometimes take hers to bed in the morning (she works third shift) and--I shit you not--use it to help her fall asleep, so I just assumed something had happened there. And my daughter was five when she broke mine. But I try not to let her play with the screen too much when she uses my 3DS.

Clone guys! So many suits! WHY DOES BOWSER HAVE A CAR!?

I think that settles it: I want a WiiU for Christmas.

God, between this and Link Between Worlds and Phoenix Wright and Pokemon it is going to be an amazing fall/winter for Nintendo.

I didn't think it was weird for Bowser to have a car, now I'm realizing that I was thinking of Wario.

But yeah, I watched this trailer originally at work and a collegaue said that he had heard that Mario World 3D was essentially all the ideas that the developers had and couldn't use before.

Pffffft. Mega Man 2 is the easy one.

I'm going to warn you now that Metroid is going to be super-confusing because you basically get no help. It's still a wonderful game, but I'd imagine going into it as a newbie would be daunting. Just remember to go left when you start.

Oh, so this isn't totally me replying to TKz stuff, uh, I got New Super Mario Bros. 2 and it kind of blows, guys. Worst Mario platform game ever by a country mile.

Eh, can't be much worse than the start of Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Here's a giant castle! Do something. Somewhere.

Yeah, that's literally the first I've ever heard of that, and I know plenty of people who have a 3DS. Heck, my girlfriend has one and used to work in HMV, I'd have thought she'd have at least once complained about customers complaining about it. Maybe they just did a package deal there or something?

Pretty much. We basically inflated the price of the console by £10-15, whatever it was. To begin with at least. Now it's just "surprise! Another tenner please!"

Also, random thought; I want a new Mario Baseball game.

What are the chances of this making it's way to 3DS eventually? Looks amazing.

Wouldn't rule it out entirely. Donkey Kong got ported, Smash Bros. is coming out for both, but it's a pretty rare move for Nintendo.

Someone explain to me why I am contemplating buying Pokemon X/Y/Whateverthefuck they're all the same anyway, aren't they?

I barely play my 3DS. I think the last game I played was Final Fantasy Theatryhthm for about 20 minutes a million years ago.

I don't play Pokemon games and openly mock nerds in my store who go on massive rants and in-depth discussions when I am trying to work.

I enjoyed Blue, but they seem to have stayed pretty much identical since then.

What gives?

It's pretty cool. It's kind of a big nostalgia trip in a lot of ways (The first area you visit is a forest where you can catch Pikachu in a tiny patch of grass to the right side of the screen, the same as in Pokemon Red and Blue) and the improved graphics are a lot of fun, everything is way more adorable thanks to it. I haven't really played a Pokemon game since Ruby, which I don't remember much of, so an absolute ton of the Pokemon are brand new to me, which is awesome. It's like playing it for the first time all over again. They've fixed a lot of little things too.

I mean, it's the same thing it's always been and probably always will be, but I've never considered that a bad thing, because the gameplay is really solid. The best way I can describe my experience with it so far is that it's like playing Red and Blue for the first time again. So, if you've not played anything since then, I'd say you'll probably enjoy it.

I now own Pokemon X, Pokemon White and Ocarina of Time 3D for my 3DS! I'm thinking about picking up Fire Emblem next despite the fact I've never been able to get into SRPGs, but I'll try out the demo first. It's got crazy good reviews but these sort of games have never appealed to me. I did love XCOM: Enemy Unknown, though, so I figure this would just be that with swords. >_>

• Like 1