The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Ooh, keep the thread updated on that one. I'm considering buying it down the line.

Quite an enjoyable game thus far. Into Chapter 4, and whilst it is fairly linear for an RPG so far, the 'battle' system makes it pretty fun. The 'boss' matches so far have been quite difficult, but that does make you grind a bit more between what are fairly short sequences in between.

Some of the menu stuff seems like a bit of a faff, and I don't really know what the benefit of scouting is (as in, I don't feel that the guys I'm getting are in any way better than those I already have) outside of some element of gotta-catch-them-all Pokemon draw. However, if you can pick it up for cheap, it is a good game to pick up for half hour/hour at a time, play a few games and make some progress.

Will keep you updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Okayso for the like zero of you who still play Fire Emblem: Awakening, I'm picking it up again and trying to craft a really awesome team to finally tear through all of the super-tough DLC chapters. I wonder if anyone has thoughts on these pairs:

Chrom & Sumia: Passing down Galeforce and Aether to Cynthia and Lucina. This is the one I usually do and is probably the best pairing for Sumia since Frederick kind of blows, Henry does magic, and Gaius can pass down the Pegasus Rider classes to someone who otherwise can't get them.

Cherche & Stahl: Passing down Swordbreaker and Aegis to Gerome. This will make Gerome a physical beast with some defensive options and will give him access to some great classes, and in turn will lead to...

Strength-Focused Avatar & Gerome: Passing down Galeforce and probably Lethality to Morgan. This is the one I have high hopes for: a kick-ass Morgan with a ridiculously high Strength who can brutalize anything in the game. This might be overkill a bit, though.

Panne & Gregor: Passing down Lethality and Astra to Yarne. Yarne becomes a Skill-based person in this build, hoping for lots of OHKO's.

Cordelia & Lon'qu: Passing down Galeforce and Swordfaire to Severa. Severa is fucking awesome and so she gets Lon'qu and his beastly Skill growths.

Nowi & Gaius: Passing down Swordbreaker and Lethality to Nah. Nah now has more evasion against Wyrmslayers and can reclass into the Pegasus line which--coupled with Lethality--should make her super-rad.

Miriel & Ricken: Passing down Tomefaire and Aegis to Laurent. This makes Laurent a doubleplusmagemaster with a good defensive option to counter range (the goal is to not allow people to get close enough to hurt him with swords and such).

Sully & Donnel: Passing down Lethality and Aptitude to Kjelle. I've done this one before and produced my absolute favorite Kjelle, a ridiculous ass-kicker who murders people and then flies right on.

Lissa & THE VAIKE: Passing down Galeforce and Counter to Owain. The goal is for Owain to be a Dread Fighter, using swords and tomes, so this combo covers both. I may send Owain down the Swordmaster and Sage lines to grab Swordfaire and Tomefaire just to make things super-ridiculous.

Maribelle & Henry: Passing down Galeforce and Tomefaire to Brady. I tend to ignore Brady or make him an axe-user, but it stands to reason that he'd make a powerful mage with the right daddy. Henry can be that guy, and he passes on lots of class options as well.

Olivia & Virion: Passing down Galeforce and probably Rally Skill to Inigo. Inigo becomes a Skill guy like Severa thanks to Virion's growths and has access to a ton of reclassing options to boot. An Inigo/Severa pairing is probably in the cards just to take advantage of Rally Skill even more.

Tharja & Libra: Passing down Pavise and Tomefaire to Noire. Noire is my least favorite child and is the odd woman out here, but this build gives her some defense and keeps her magic okay with an eye towards entering Dark Knight. The other options are Frederick and Kellam, neither of whom really mesh well with Tharja.

That should result in a pretty varied and bad-ass team, I think.

Got back into playing ZombiU for the first time in probably a year over the weekend and, somehow, was better at it than I was when playing it every week. Lasted over an hour as both of my "survivors", did a much better job of stockpiling items and weaponry than I ever did before, progressed in the story more than I normally would in a single session, and managed to upgrade both my backpack and my scanner.

It continues to be bonkers, and does the thing that Ubisoft do very well (or at least did in the last Assassin's Creed), and fleshes out the world with a bunch of supplementary materials and historical detail that try and tie in all kinds of pseudo-history and conspiracy theorist stuff into the game's plot, and I bloody love all that stuff.

I have no idea how far into the game I am, or really quite where the story's going, but I'm really, really enjoying it again. And it still manages to scare the shit out of me.

That said, there's a wonderfully silly bit where you're in a block of flats at Brick Lane where people have become zombies mid-house party, and to begin with it's really grim, you're finding dead bodies in bathtubs full of blood, a pile of corpses on top of a bed, and a zombie eating a dead body in the kitchen. But when you eventually get into the main room where the party's happening, because zombies are distracted by flashing lights in this game for some reason, there's just a group of them gyrating on the dancefloor to dubstep, and they only attack if you switch the music and lights off. Otherwise, you can just stand there bludgeoning them or setting them on fire and they don't react, just kind of stand there awkwardly dancing. It's hilarious.

Ok people. I've only ever touched a DS once and that was a Walmart display one so I know nothing of the things. Looking at them on Amazon I see 2DS and 3DS. Do these play the same games? Wondering if this is more of a GBC-GBA or GBA-GBASP thing. if they play the same games then 2DS is looking the way to go.

I found this which I like because it comes with a Pokemon game. The fact that 2DS doesn't fold isn't really a bother as the thing will stay at my house 99% of the time. I'll just store it in the slide out part of my desk with my laptop. I might go have a look around at the pawnshop I got my laptop from and see what prices are like.

• Like 1

The sale might be over but I Target just had the 2DS with Pokemon for $99.

Highly recommend a 2DS/3DS. Gets more use than any of my consoles anymore, so much so that I had to go out and buy a second one since my wife never let me play. <_<

2gxiat1.png

Nah is fucking overkill guys.

For the uninitiated: Nah is roughly 33% stronger than the next strongest person in my extremely powerful team, has an item that makes her even more powerful, can attack twice per turn if (HA!) she kills someone (Galeforce), can heal with attacks (Sol), and now has an ability that increases her max stats by about 20% (Limit Breaker).

There's a postgame battle to recruit a special character, and in this battle you fight clones of everyone in your party, and I had to remove Nah because no one was powerful enough to even hurt her. Not even Nah herself.

Nah rends armies with her teeth.

FYI, for anyone who is thinking about picking Mario Kart up, North America and Europe is running a promo where if you register it on Nintendo Club or whatever, you get a free game. I think North America gets Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros, Wind Waker and WiiU Party and Europe has a shit load more choices.

Related, we should organize a mario kart tourney if enough people end up with the game.