The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

You'd need a case for the 2DS even if you're keeping it at home, just to avoid dust and scratches. But you could probably pick one up for under a tenner, so it'd still probably work out cheaper than getting a 3DS - especially when you factor in that, for a 3DS, you'd have to buy the charger separately too.

I find the 2DS really easy to hold and use - I don't think there's any form issue there, it's brilliantly designed. The only thing is that it can feel a bit "Fisher Price", all lightweight plastic, and the shoulder buttons feel a bit clunky at first, but they soon loosen up and you get used to it.

If you're not planning on taking it out anywhere, and you're not fussed about 3D, then the 2DS is fine. It's definitely not pocket-sized, but I tend to stick it in the case in my bag if I'm taking it anywhere and it's fine. It's a robust little thing, so doesn't matter if it gets knocked about a bit.

Yeah, I guessed there would be a huge list, but I wanted the creme de la creme games. Point my head in various directions and I'll have a bit of a look around.

Consider that I'd probably end up getting Pokemon X or Y by default, that knocks out most other Pokemon games.

I like RPGs a lot, so am already nosing around Bravely Default, Fire Emblem and the Dragon Quest games (which I'd fancied when they first came out).

Fire Emblem is, in my opinion, the best game on the 3DS. You could make a reasonable case for a few other games (Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion, Bravely Default, Mario 3D World), but Fire Emblem just packs in a ton of stuff to do and is a lot of fun. Definitely my top recommendation.

DS has a lot of really interesting, unusual games that you couldn't get anywhere else. Obviously the Phoenix Wright series is worth picking up if you can find it, and Elite Beat Agents is one of the most ridiculous and funny games out there. If you like RPGs, try to track down The World Ends With You for the DS--that one's a lot of fun as well.

As RPGs go, I really dig all of the Mario & Luigi games, which are a bit simple but still fun and funny. But give it a skip if you're bored with first-party Nintendo stuff (which is not a reason to skip Fire Emblem).

Fire Emblem should get you addicted for a good deal of time - Sousa and I will attest to that as we have a million times over.

There's a lot of content in Bravely Default as well - it's a masterpiece, especially if you loved Final Fantasy V as it has a very deep job system and an interesting combat system as well that has kept me engaged and challenged for a while now.

You can get Tetris Axis on the eShop for $9 at the moment (at least in the North American shop) which IS a retail game but most places still sell it in case for around 30 dollars still, so it's a steal and a great time waster whenever you get the chance.

The Mario & Luigi games are indeed pretty awesome - I haven't touched the new one yet even though I got the bundle that it comes with (as I have been spending time with Bravely Default) but I'm looking forward to getting into it.

EBA is great and hella cheap too! Can probably find it for just a few quid.

The original DS has a lot of RPG's, there's 3 of the M&L series that Sousa mentioned (and another on the 3DS itself) and then you've got various outings from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei (I think one got remade for 3DS too). Plus 2 Zeldas, Golden Sun and a Chrono Trigger port that might be slightly pricey. Outside of the bigger names, there's Contact which is a quirky action RPG thing which is also crazy cheap, like £2.50 at CEX, which might be worth a look.

On the more tactical side of things there's versions of FF Tactics, Disgaea, 2 Advance Wars games and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (3DS) which is pretty cheap.

A lot of platformers with New Super Mario Bros (and it's 3DS sequel), Yoshi's Island (which is also getting a 3DS outing shortly), Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS) and even Super Princess Peach, if you can look past the demeaning nature of one of her powers being crying. :shifty: Or if you like things a bit more actiony, you've got 3 Castlevania games in the mould of Symphony of the Night. Contra 4 is meant to be pretty good, albeit hard, if you can track that down.

Into more of misc round up, there's a nice version of Tetris (not sure how the 3DS version stacks up), Meteos is another puzzle thing, the Professor Layton games always have a good rep as a problem solving thing, Hotel Dusk: Room 215 the same, hell you could always get a version of Brain Training or it's clones if you don't need fancy context since they practically give those away, there's a Star Fox game which I don't think plays the same as the likes of the SNES or 64 version but it's cheap, 999 and Ghost Trick I've always heard good things about but have never tried, 42 All Time Classics (AKA Clubhouse Games) is cheap and is a nice little collection of card/pub games. Lastly, whilst probably not going to applicable given how severely niche it is, if you have an interest in anime, Smash Bros style fighters and don't mind using a translation guide then Jump Super/Ultimate Stars are fun games. Like, I now next to nothing about anime but still had fun playing them. Of course, it helps if you're playing an English translation through nefarious means... :shifty:

Cheers for the guidance so far. Part of me will have to consider the cost of games as well, since the Nintendo games seem to retain their prices and as has been mentioned, there is a shedload of potential purchases.

Something to mull over at least.

Bravely Default is probably my favorite 3DS game yet and one of my favorite JRPGs in a long time. But if you get it, I really, really want you to listen to me on this:

Don't try and make the game last. I had a ton of fun grinding out jobs and levels and getting loot and all this and that. But I suffered from burnout a long time before the ending. Because the last 3-4 chapters are exhaustively repetitive and long. I know it might seem fun to start getting your stuff leveled up as soon as you can, but I get the feeling those last few levels are designed with the intention of being when you should put the extra time in. Otherwise they're fucking boring and kind of soured me on what seemed to start out as a potential "game of the year" for me.

I dunno if you can still get it, but for a while if you registered your 3DS online you got Super Mario Land 3D for free. I'd actually say get it, even if you can't get it for free. Had a ton of fun with that, felt closer to Mario 64 than most of the 3D ones I've played. And I haven't been a huge fan of these games since Mario 64.

The kart games are good grabs be it Mario Kart DS, 7 (for 3DS) or Diddy Kong Racing DS.

And if your interested in ports there is always the likes of Super Mario 64, Sonic Classic Collection (1 through Sonic & Knuckles plus 2 and 3 with Sonic & Knuckles), Kirby Super Star Ultra, Resident Evil and Ocarina of Time (plus a few more that names pass me).

Hurray! My friend code is in my sig (the 12 digit number on the trainer card) if you feel like adding me and can find your way around the interface. P.Sure the 3D Land offer that TKz was alluding to is closed now but if you sign up for the eShop, you'll get a download code for the Game Boy Colour version of Super Mario Bros eventually. Not really anything amazing but hey, it's a free thing nontheless. As is Steel Diver Sub Wars, some sort of F2P submarine thing. That might be about it terms of things to download off the eShop that are free, unless you particularly want to download YouTube and watch videos in glorious 240p vision.

Don't register your 2DS. I think at this point, with another free game coming up for NA, it's safe to say that you're better off keeping the registration until a deal comes up that's worth it.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/free-pokemon-x-y-deal-coming-retailer-ad-suggests/1100-6417888/

Looks like Pokemon X/Y is the free game coming next month.

Edit: Here's another link confirming it.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/222856-2ds-3ds-xl-march-promo-register-your-system-and-1-of-6-games-for-a-free-pokemon-x-y

Edited by KiddKorupt