The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Nintendo will shut down its ageing Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service on 20th May, bringing to an end the use of online features in a huge range of games.

Wii titles such as Smash Bros. Brawl, Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City and Mario Kart Wii will lose their online multiplayer, matchmaking and leaderboard support.

Affected DS games will include Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, Animal Crossing: Wild World and around a dozen Pokémon titles.

The full list of games - over 60 in all - are listed on Nintendo's official sites for the UK, Japan, the US and Australia.

The free Nintendo Video service for 3DS will also be closed, as of 31st March.

"As of May 20, 2014, certain online functionality, including online play, matchmaking and leaderboards for many Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games, will no longer be accessible," Nintendo UK spokesperson explained in a statement to Eurogamer. "Users can still play these games in offline mode which continues to offer a rich game-play experience. Other online functionality on Wii and Nintendo DS, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time."

Both the Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop will remain open for business, as will the Wii's Internet Channel and YouTube app.

The loss of online services for Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros. Brawl come in the year where sequels to those games are finally released - Nintendo probably wants you to buy those instead.

Source: Eurogamer.net

On the Nintendo site is does state that the Internet Channel, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, Nintendo DS Browser, Nintendo DSi Browser, Nintendo DSi Shop, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay & Play, Wii Shop Channel and YouTube services will still continue its just the online gaming section closing.

Yeah - doesn't make a ton of sense to continue to provide online functionality for systems they've stopped production on, really.

"The loss of online services for Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros. Brawl come in the year where sequels to those games are finally released - Nintendo probably wants you to buy those instead." seems like the most needless opinionating on the end of an article this side of any wrestling news article.

But, yeah, Nintendo ID plays a part in too, I'd expect. Long-term plan is for the Nintendo ID to be consistent across all products - as it is on the 3DS and WiiU now, and will be on all future consoles, as well as across whatever "smart" device software they're planning on rolling out. So getting everything connected to that makes more sense than propping up an obsolete service for decade-old games on last-gen systems. I'm sure there'll be people spinning this as a huge negative, though, as seems to happen with every Nintendo news story. Really, it's a non-event.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, don't be stupid like I did and buy Weapon Shop de Omasse thinking it'll be like a handheld Recettear. It's really, really dumb and really, really boring.

Capitalism no!

Whilst I'm here, I'll add you eventually Quom. My FC is 3067-5867-4704.

• Like 1

Yeah, I had high hopes for it and figured some people here would be interested enough to buy it. But it's a rhythm game with like three or four songs in it, and most of the humor (which is supposed to be the appeal of it) isn't particularly funny unless you think "haha this guy is large and dresses like a girl" or "haha this woman in a pirate costume smells bad" is the height of comedy. Most of your time is spent sitting around reading what amounts to the heroes' Twitter accounts, and it's only marginally funny and certainly not good enough to carry the rest of the game. Total letdown.

• 3 weeks later...