The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Nintendo really needs to add that to their marketing... You just don't realize how great the console is until you play it. You know what you're getting with the PS4 and Xbox One, they're basically DVD players at this point, but the Wii U is an experience. I know no one wants to use the phrase "toy" anymore, but the Wii U is a great toy.

Nintendo really needs to add that to their marketing... You just don't realize how great the console is until you play it. You know what you're getting with the PS4 and Xbox One, they're basically DVD players at this point, but the Wii U is an experience. I know no one wants to use the phrase "toy" anymore, but the Wii U is a great toy.

What? :lol:

Pictured below: Zero

King-Nintendo-Fanboy-7-18-2012.jpg

Edited by TCO

I'm another considering getting a Wii U (for Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros) as reviews are seeming really good. But the one thing holding me back is the game pad. Do you have to use it or can you use just the controller? Do GameCube and normal Wii controllers work?

I'm thinking of buying a Wii U.

Are they worth it? Any unique games worth getting?

I'd buy one. You need it to get into heaven.

I'm another considering getting a Wii U (for Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros) as reviews are seeming really good. But the one thing holding me back is the game pad. Do you have to use it or can you use just the controller? Do GameCube and normal Wii controllers work?

Normal Wii controllers work (there may be some limitations, but I believe the Pro controller and the Wii remote/nunchuks work for sure).

They're releasing a GC controller adapter to go with the new Smash Bros game.

Oh Zero you make it so hard to love Nintendo when you make posts like this :(

Give me shit all day, but it's true. You know what you're getting with the two big ones: pick up the controller, play the game. The Wii U, for better or worse, often adds a different layer to the experience. For example, Rayman Legends plays entirely different on the Wii U. Something like Watch Dogs could play different, though I'm not sure if it will. The tablet controller just offers a different way to play that I don't think has been fully explored yet. Plus, the off-TV play is a huge bonus.

That wasn't a slam on PS4 and XBO either, I was just commenting on the fact that they're strictly hardware. Like a DVD player, the fun isn't the machine itself, it's what's on the disc, but the Wii U hardware is often a part of the game.

Rayman Legends on the Wii U replaces the fairy character that you control, with the gamepad support of a friend - if someone wants to just do that instead of playing with you as one of the three other character slots. That's pretty much it - I wouldn't say it plays entirely different due to that. It can be really fun, but it is what it is - essentially a gimmick that people might chuckle about a few times and then it's just there, it's like pretty much anything else.

It's hardly groundbreaking - and there's capability either there or coming for people to have similar roles with the X1 and PS4 through the use of smart phones and tablets. Battlefield 4 was doing it from launch day, and Plants Versus Zombies does it as well with the commander roles. Those are just two of them that I know right off the bat, but there's gotta be others out there. For most games on the Wii U that I played when I owned one, it was convenient to have as a second screen for a map - and even then it wasn't entirely perfect all of the time. It didn't feel like it added or took anything away - it was mostly just there. When Watch Dogs lands for Wii U there's going to be.. tap the screen to hack instead of holding a button, I assume. That's not really all that revolutionary.

There's off TV play with the PS4/Vita combination that is an excellent purchase for anyone looking for that kind of thing - and Playstation TV is coming down the pipes too. If Microsoft had a handheld I would guarantee that they would be doing the same kind of thing without a tablet styled controller.

And by calling them strictly hardware, and calling Nintendo as an experience instead based off the gamepad controller - you're entirely ignoring the Kinect and Playstation's camera along with the Morpheus Project and likely other initiatives that I am likely forgetting. They too change the way that games are played, also in a gimmicky way and people will have a chuckle here and there, but ultimately it'll all settle down to standard and classic controls that we have all known and been accustomed to for quite a while.

I don't care about any of this shit because I am here to talk about how much I love Wind Waker's Miiverse functionality, which I am basically using as Link's horrible, horrible Twitter account.

• Like 1

Microsoft and Sony ignore Kinect and the PS Camera as well. With Kinect being sold separately now, it's as good as dead.

This is my issue with the XBO and PS4, there's no "hook" like we've seen in every previous generational jump. PS1 to PS2 was a massive graphical leap and made DVD the standard. PS2 to 360 brought HD and made online standard, I just don't see what makes the PS4 and One stand out. Perhaps the Wii U is gimmicky, the Wii certainly became so, but my point was that I don't think people "get" the Wii U until they play it.

The way it seems to me right now from the people that I interact with on a personal level - is the idea that they are waiting for the 'gang to all be there' before they pick up the system.

When the Wii U came out people knew there was going to be a Mario game - and they've gotten two of them, old school style and a new 3D version so that's off the checklist. Add to that list:

- Legend Of Zelda

- Mario Kart

- Smash Bros

- Metroid

- Star Fox

And keep adding to that to tailor to the specific person to add niche stuff like Pikmin, etc. I know none of three next-gen consoles are setting the game launch charts on fire - but since Nintendo products rely so much on first party support, its staggered out even further away from the other two. Most people that I've talked to consider it essential to have both a Wii U and another one of the other consoles - so much to the point that it's just an assumption that a Wii U will be purchased eventually.. they're just waiting until all the big names are there.

Things ARE going to pick up with the launch of each title - 'cause they're most likely going to be bundled much like the Mario Kart 8 edition was and as people find their favorite franchises, the system is going to find traction... it's just the blessing and the curse of the excellent first party support. Everything can't come out at once, and that leaves some thinking "alright, I'm going to buy this.. and then what?" Depending on my situation come the time that the new Zelda is out, I'll probably look back into the state of the Wii U.. but as of now, I had beaten everything that I was interested in and there was nothing else on the horizon for a number of months so I opted out for something that a lot of other people have that launches at least 2 games a month that I am interested in.

This isn't even getting into the lack of certain genres on the Wii U itself that could be drawing people away. I don't think any amount of simply playing the system to get a feel for it can turn around the mind of someone who's interested in shooters or sports games - two of the biggest genres out there that just don't touch Nintendo consoles the way they do the other two.

The thing I can't figure out about Wii U is why they're releasing Wii U Smash Bros. months after the 3DS one. 3DS doesn't need nearly the help that the Wii U does and Smash Bros. is the game for the console. Putting it out months early on a system that's doing okay to the detriment of the one that needs help is baffling to me.

• Like 1

On the one hand you could argue it might even hurt the U since the 3DS is a more widely accepted system and since Smash is a game that some people might have intended to be their jumping on point for the U, they might figure they'll save $200 and stick to the 3DS version.

But then the U version might also be seen as the 'real' version and they might figure people desperate for it might be willing to spend some money to play it early on 3DS, get to know fighters etc and get a head start before they trade it for the home version.

The smash bundle will almost definitely be bundled with that GameCube multitap thingy. Why bundle it with a controller when most people who play Smash all the time still have a bunch of GameCube controllers around the house.

Also as a heads up, it's probably a good idea to pick up Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 if you find them cheap before Christmas. Those games will be impossible to find now the sudden surge in Wii U's has sent the demand for them through the roof.