The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Fire Emblem is hard. Only just beat "Marth" for the Khan....and then decided to use a box to fight and train. I kept fighting and losing at least one person....got mad and restarted the battle (gonna have to get used to permanently losing someone). I just wanted to level up the little villager kid!

How do you find demos? We went under the demo category but when we went to download one it tried to charge us $50

I haven't done it before myself, but I think it works this way. When you select a game, it's just showing you the ones that HAVE demos - so what you do is look on the.. right I believe when you go into the details about the game.

There'll be a big Purchase button but under that there should be buttons for wishlisting games, looking at DLC content (if the game has it) and grabbing the demo (same deal).

I just wanted to level up the little villager kid!

Team him up with somebody. Stahl is a good choice since they can build a relationship together. I like Nowi (who you don't have yet) for Donny's husband, but he pairs well with just about anyone. He starts very weak, but he's got super-good growths (thanks to Aptitude) and can be reclassed once he hits level 10. I suggest using a Second Seal to make him a Fighter once he hits level 15 and learns Underdog. It'll be a tough row to hoe, but Donny becomes an awesome character and you really want him to marry somebody good. I like Nowi, Lissa, Sully, or Olivia for Donny's wife. Tharja's not bad, either.

Out of curiosity, how much are you using Frederick? He makes the first playthrough a lot easier but it's not really recommended to do much with him after the early game since he starts strong but has shitty growths and gets passed quickly. :shifty:

Oh you're almost on Chapter 6, so I'm going to warn you about something I fucked up the first time: there's a character in the fight named Gaius. Keep Chrom back a bit, and when he runs up towards you, have Chrom talk to him. He'll join your party. Same deal in Chapter (I think) 9 with Tharja.

Cool, I will keep that in mind! Thanks!

And I've used Frederick a little bit, but not too much....even though he is only level 2 or 3, he is still stupidly strong....so I figured I could ignore him for a bit.

To be honest, after the first playthrough I didn't use Frederick at all. He's really good at wrecking those early battles but he's shit at everything after the first half of the game.

He does demonstrate what I was talking about regarding classes, though; he's a Great Knight, which is second-tier to the Cavalier (Sully and Stahl are Cavaliers) and Knight (Kellam is a Knight) classes. If you hit level 10 as a Cavalier or Knight, you can promote with a Master Seal to a Great Knight. It's not a bad class, but like I said, Frederick's stat growths are so shitty that he doesn't do it well. You'll have units much more powerful than Frederick pretty quickly. Donny is going to be one of them. Donny rules.

I hope you're right, because it's gonna be a struggle to keep this kid alive :shifty:

Also, holy crap! Virion is strong....I think I did about 25 damage with him last night....managed a crit of 75.

Man. Pikmin is so great. I was kind of hating on the controls, but I switched to just playing on the game pad and it is amazing.

Also, three have told me in the last week they are buying a WiiU. I think Nintendo has done a great job the last few months selling the WiiU.

Is it possible to train people in new weapons? Because for some silly reason I made speed strong and magic weak on my avatar(even though I mostly use magic. Trying to use swords more)...and I assume a high speed=good with bow. But I give him a E ranked bow and no luck.

Also....the proposal by Chrom to Sumia is cute as hell. And Virion/Sully is hilarious. And Donny is now level 7! Getting more badass!

So...what attributes should I be looking at for making relationships?

So demos work different on this then? I have 19 uses left of Wonderful 101. Does that mean it locks after that?

Yeah, that's how Nintendo tend to do demos - a (more or less) fully functioning version of the game, but limited uses.

My son really enjoys the game where there are 2 balloons strapped to his back and he flies around. It's kind of hard right now though because we only have the one controller until tomorrow so we can't play anything together :(

I love that game. I played it for hours when we first got our WiiU.

The charger for the WiiU gamepad appears to be broken, as it won't charge any more, which means I can't play pretty much anything. And, it being Nintendo, it can't be a standard mini USB, it has to be a unique connection that you can't buy anywhere. Luckily the pro controller has a standard connection, and I can at least still play Mario Kart with that.

Is it possible to train people in new weapons? Because for some silly reason I made speed strong and magic weak on my avatar(even though I mostly use magic. Trying to use swords more)...and I assume a high speed=good with bow. But I give him a E ranked bow and no luck.

Also....the proposal by Chrom to Sumia is cute as hell. And Virion/Sully is hilarious. And Donny is now level 7! Getting more badass!

So...what attributes should I be looking at for making relationships?

Look at the bottom of the equipment to see what people can use. The avatar starts as a Tactician and can use swords and tomes. The more you use them, the more their proficiency goes up (the little bar). The weapons you can use vary depending on class, so if you want the avatar to use a bow, you need to make him an Archer (with a Second Seal). Assassins can also use bows and might make a good choice for the avatar, but you need to be a level 10 Thief or Myrmidon to reclass into Assassin.

If you have a question about a specific relationship, I can tell you if it's a good idea or not. Ideally, you want somebody who accentuates their partner's strengths (there's a second, more spoiler-y factor as well). For example, Miriel and Ricken are a great couple because they both have high Magic. Virion and Sully both have good Skill and so make a good couple. Sumia/Chrom allegedly isn't really the best marriage for either person, but every time I've played it's worked out fine. Sumia has bafflingly low Strength for someone in stabbing-things-with-sticks classes. <_<

Your male avatar can marry anyone and will make a good husband for basically anyone. He's also the only one who can marry special characters who can't otherwise marry. So if you have Anna, he can marry Anna. I honestly wouldn't tie down your avatar yet; he can get supports with any male character, so team him with someone you're trying to level up (Donny works well here) and hold off. Male avatar's best wives come later in the game.

The important relationship to sort out early on is Chrom's. I usually have Lissa marry quickly as well. Vaike is my favorite Lissa husband (which may not seem like a good combo but there's a good reason to go with it). I try to have Cordelia sorted quickly as well; Lon'qu and Gregor are both good choices for her. Beyond that, you've got time and it may be to your benefit to hold off.

I think for Lissa I am gonna have her marry Donny (who I have started teaming up with the Avatar) or Lon'Que (I think she already has a C relationship with him).

And I will save the Avatar marriage for later on!

Those are both good relationships for Lissa.

By the way if you want to know the thing I keep hinting at I'll put it in spoilers:

Married characters have kids that show up later in the game.

I already knew about kids!

I assume they end up coming out of that gate thing that Marth did (at least, I assume Marth came out of that)...and that Marth is actually Chrom's kid, and she (IT'S TOTALLY A SHE! OPEN YOUR EYES, CHARACTERS) has come back to the future to help her father!

Can't wait to see how far off base I am.

Oh you know about the kids? Okay yeah I'll just say that you're pairing up couples to make the best kids. Kids usually have similar classes to their mothers, but Lissa's son is an exception because he starts as a Myrmidon, so you want to pass down high Strength to him. Parents pass down the last skill on their list to their kids, so the reason Donny is an important husband is because he can pass down Aptitude to the kid and give him/her amazing growths.

Donny/Nowi is a great pairing for this reason because Nowi's kid has amazing growths, and if a person marries either Donny or Gaius and then has a female child, that kid will be able to reclass into Pegasus Knight to get Galeforce. Sully, Tharja, and Nowi all have daughters who can't get Galeforce any other way, so Gaius and Donny make good parents specifically for these three (I like Tharja/Gaius a lot as a pairing, and Nowi/Donny's kid will be pretty much unstoppable if you make the effort to level her up).

This is also why every woman who can reclass into Pegasus Knight should learn Galeforce. Lissa, Maribelle, Cordelia, Sumia, and Olivia can all learn it and it's worth it for all four of them.

Also the reason you want to hold off on marrying a male avatar to someone is that he can marry the kids. The kids will usually be stronger than the parents, so they'll be your primary fighting force for the second half of the game, and since they'll inherit great growths, pairing them up with the avatar ensures that the avatar's kid will be awesome.