Beijing Olympics 2008

Guest Mr. Potato Head

We have the gymnastics on now, and her first two scores seem ok. The beam (I think, the first one anyway) a bit low maybe, but apparently she had a lower degree of difficulty for it anyway.

Edit: Only had it on in the background, but Liukin's scores seemed justified throughout. Didn't see any of the Chinese girls routines (except the floor which she got a 15.000 for, which again was what she deserved). Anyway, all's well, America won -_-

Edited by Zaz

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see China cheated but still came 3rd to Nastian Liukin and Shawn Johnson, two Americans - China's biggest rivals.

Maybe the Chinese are young, and maybe the judging is slightly biased - and I hope it is in our favour come 2012 <_< - but maybe, just maybe, its not as bad as you all want to try and make out?

With that said; GO CHINA.

If only for the fact that there's events they have barely ever won a medal at, and 7 years ago when they got the Olympics they decided to change it, and here they are winning for fun. And all this bullshit about them being pushed so hard and horribly, they seem to be enjoying it and making sure they win for China. Which is the Eastern mentality, win for the team - as opposed to the selfish Western mentality of doing it for yourself.

GO CHINA!

Nice to see China cheated but still came 3rd to Nastian Liukin and Shawn Johnson, two Americans - China's biggest rivals.

Maybe the Chinese are young, and maybe the judging is slightly biased - and I hope it is in our favour come 2012 <_< - but maybe, just maybe, its not as bad as you all want to try and make out?

If only for the fact that there's events they have barely ever won a medal at, and 7 years ago when they got the Olympics they decided to change it, and here they are winning for fun. And all this bullshit about them being pushed so hard and horribly, they seem to be enjoying it and making sure they win for China. Which is the Eastern mentality, win for the team - as opposed to the selfish Western mentality of doing it for yourself.

GO CHINA!

There was just a clip on the news of a gymnastics academy where they take kids from ages of about 4 and just train them for years, and they're only able to see their parents a few times a year. They're not as naturally talented as other countries (in most cases), they just vigorously train them. Imagine if Great Britain or Australia decided to do something like that, there'd be a huge public outrage and the idea would be shut down as soon as it's mentioned. And of course they'd be happy, but I haven't seen any difference from Chinese celebrations to any other country's. Why is it Libby Trickett cried during the national anthem after winning silver? If she was doing it for herself she'd be disappointed she didn't win gold.

And the Eastern mentality is win or you'll be taken out back and shot :shifty:

Also, the 'kid from every minority' thing in the Opening Ceremony was also faked-

"Organizers of the Games acknowledged on Friday that children dressed in ethnic costumes from around China who carried the Chinese flag at the ceremony were not actually from those ethnic groups, some of whom have tense relations with the government."

Meh I'd guessed that at the opening ceremonies all those kids were just from schools in Beijing and dressed up to be from the different groups. I didn't understand the Japanese commentary so didn't know if it was being said that the kids were from the different groups but I didn't expect them to be.

I'm so angry. The cycling has started and I can choose between table tennis and bloody dressage in the horses.

GO CHINA!

There was just a clip on the news of a gymnastics academy where they take kids from ages of about 4 and just train them for years, and they're only able to see their parents a few times a year. They're not as naturally talented as other countries (in most cases), they just vigorously train them. Imagine if Great Britain or Australia decided to do something like that, there'd be a huge public outrage and the idea would be shut down as soon as it's mentioned. And of course they'd be happy, but I haven't seen any difference from Chinese celebrations to any other country's. Why is it Libby Trickett had tears of joy after winning silver? If she was doing it for herself she'd be disappointed she didn't win gold.

And the Eastern mentality is win or you'll be taken out back and shot :shifty:

Also, the 'kid from every minority' thing in the Opening Ceremony was also faked-

"Organizers of the Games acknowledged on Friday that children dressed in ethnic costumes from around China who carried the Chinese flag at the ceremony were not actually from those ethnic groups, some of whom have tense relations with the government."

Cycling spoilers

The British mens sprinters destroy the World Record in the Team Sprint qualifying, going over half a second quicker than the French team who were favourites.

In the Individual Pursuit, Steven Burke just blew NINE seconds off his personal best (with a time of four minutes 22 seconds), I dunno how the hell he took that much off but British cycling is on such a MASSIVE high right now.

Sailing:

Ben Ainslie is guaranteed at least a silver in the Finn class with two races to go but he'll win gold as he's got a nice lead now. That'll make golds in the sailing at three consecutive Olympic games - something Phelps hasn't yet achieved.

British Yngling women's crew are in the same position - leading nicely with silver guaranteed.

By the end of the weekend Britain will have at least 10 golds with the sailors, cyclists and TEN finalists in the rowing.

Cycling:

Bradley Wiggins just broke his own Olympic Record in the individual pursuit. Very tasty.

Good news for Singapore:

They're guaranteed their first Olympic Medal in 40odd years after winning the women's team table tennis semi over Korea and are now in the final.

Cycling

We are fucking awesome.

Any sport where the blacks can't afford to take part, we're awesome in. Let's see a black buy a dancing horse shall we? Not likely!

Nice to see us being good at something. And cycling is a very tough sport so it makes up for one of our other decent Olympic hopes which is dancing horses.

Tennis spoilers:

Athens 2004 bronze medallist Fernando Gonzalez of Chile defeated No. 8 seed James Blake of the United States 4-6, 7-5, 11-9 to advance to the final of Men's Singles Tennis at the Olympic Green Tennis Center.

Fuck yeah, luckily I woke up early enough to see it. Probably the best tennis match in the olympics so far. Now waiting for Nadal/Djokovic.

Cycling spoilers:

British women qualify 1st and 2nd fastest for the second stage of the individual pursuit.

Our men's sprint win gold and have the biggest thigh muscles this side of a herd of elephants.

We're brilliant and finally we're getting into the sports we're good at - seated, technical sports.

Screw all this running around or flipping into somersaults. Far too unrefined and show-offy for us. :P

Ok question for everyone who even cares about the 100 meters. WHo do you think wil pull it out. I can't really pick because Gay and Powell have been doing it forever, and Bolt came out of nowhere to break the world record. It should be a great final on Saturday when hopefully all three line up next to each other.

Some thoughts on last night's Women's All Around

God, I think I am in love with Shawn Johnson, and when she lost, I was pissed, but Nastia was clearly the better competitor. She was nailing everything, and even hit that perfect landing off of the Springboard Horse. Then she went on to have a great routine in the Beam and Uneven Bars and just played it great in the Dance Routine part. I thought Shawn seemed to be holding close, but it didn't really look that way with the scores as she was pretty far back until the Uneven Bars I believe is where she made most of it up. I am still glad that the United States went one two seeing as how Yiilin was in the running for most of it.

I also have to say that I felt bad for that Chinese girl who fell on her landing in the Springboard Horse. Falling down in front of the world after representing your own country must really be hard and it looks like she never really recovered from it.

Still pissed to see that Nastia is going to get the glory from the All Around and Shawn isn't going to win a gold medal this year. I am not sure if she has any more events, but getting Silver in the Team All Around if I am not mistaken and then losing again here to her fellow partner must really be harsh for her. Shawn still has some years ahead of her though, and I know that while some gymnasts don't normally come back, I think Johnson will be back for the London games. Not so sure about Nastia though. Anyways, I still had fun watching it, and the Women's All Around has become my favorite event overall.

I'm sure that Shawn Johnson will be involved in the floor and vault individual event finals, but I don't know about beam or the uneven bars. My guess is that Nastia won't be around for London since she'd be 22 going on 23 and there's really no reason for her to punish her body for four more years.