Beijing Olympics 2008

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Everyone knows there are only three sports that matter at the Olympics:

Fencing.

Wrestling.

Archery.

We lost out on Bronze TO THE FRENCH in Archery. The FRENCH. Imagine if that happened in the 1400's. "Aha, you may have your Welsh longbows, but we have an Olympic bronze medal, muhahaha. Castillon will be even easier now".

So yeah, only 2/3 of the Olympics matters any more.

Edited by Farmer Reil

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Mens' 4x200 freestyle relay

Now that was a good race. The Americans put on a ridiculous performance, and there was a legitimate 5-way fight for the other two medals, including Hayden's leg that got Canada right back into the thick of things.

Now that was a good race. The Americans put on a ridiculous performance, and there was a legitimate 5-way fight for the other two medals, including Hayden's leg that got Canada right back into the thick of things.

Seriously, that was an awesome race. They fucking killed it.

And finally Costas & Karolyi say what I was thinking, these Chinese women gymnasts look like they're 12-15 and the age rule is 16..

.. and these middle schoolers are kicking our asses. <_<

Now that was a good race. Phelps put on a ridiculous performance, and there was a legitimate 5-way fight for the other two medals, including Hayden's leg that got Canada right back into the thick of things.

Fixed <_<

Womens 400m? Individual Medley spoilers

Rice wins her second gold with a great freestyle 100m. She was a bit behind the Zimbabwean Coventry after the first three but she stormed back to win it by the smallest of margins.

And SKA, Nikki Webster is hoooot now:

nikkiwebster_narrowweb__300x440,2.jpg

And agree with punky, I know they generally look younger but they definitely only look about 12.

Edited by Zaz

Gymnastics, diving spoilers

Shock, horror, China is winning all the judging-based competitions (diving, gymnastics).

They're winning all of those because they're doing the hardest routines and not screwing up nearly as much as their opponents are, if at all. There hasn't been any shady judging that I've seen.

Gymnastics, diving spoilers

Shock, horror, China is winning all the judging-based competitions (diving, gymnastics).

They're winning all of those because they're doing the hardest routines and not screwing up nearly as much as their opponents are, if at all. There hasn't been any shady judging that I've seen.

Some of the judging in the diving was laughable. Sometimes there were scores ranging from 4.5 to 9 for the one dive. Big differences like that would have to be looked at. They probably deserved to win the gymnastics (though, depends how old they actually are), but I preferred the US to be honest. One girl did fall over twice, but I think a Chinese girl fell as well. First time the Chinese have won the team comp (they've won both).

Some of the judging in the diving was laughable. Sometimes there were scores ranging from 4.5 to 9 for the one dive. Big differences like that would have to be looked at. They probably deserved to win the gymnastics (though, depends how old they actually are), but I preferred the US to be honest. One girl did fall over twice, but I think a Chinese girl fell as well. First time the Chinese have won the team comp (they've won both).

I think you're missing the fact that there are two sets of scores in synchronized diving being shown on the same screen. The first set (I think it was the first 4 scores) is for the execution of the dive, and the second set (the rest) is for synchronization. It's possible to get a 4 or 5 in executing a dive, but also picking up a 9 in synchro if both people miss the dive in the same way. Or you can end up getting a 9 in execution and a 4 in synchro if people hit the dive properly but land at different times. I don't remember which country it was that over-rotated a dive in the same fashion and made a huge splash, which prompted the announcer here (Cynthia Potter) to say they would get an unusual score because the dive was muffed, but they both missed it in the same exact way and they ended up getting a score that had 4's and 8's IIRC.

And the Chinese girls won the gymnastics because they did more difficult routines. It was mentioned before the competition began that their starting difficulty was 2.1 points better than ours. Sacramone's extra fall cost us another .8 and that was roughly the margin between gold and silver. Again, there hasn't been anything shady if you're paying attention to the commentary and understand how the scoring works.

There's no way in hell all of those girls were 16, absolutely not. Its one thing for a person to just be short, its another for her to actually look like she's barely over 10.

Synchro diving the Chinese won fair and square, they were doing the most difficult stuff with the best execution every time out.
Edited by Maxx

I think you're missing the fact that there are two sets of scores in synchronized diving being shown on the same screen. The first set (I think it was the first 4 scores) is for the execution of the dive, and the second set (the rest) is for synchronization. It's possible to get a 4 or 5 in executing a dive, but also picking up a 9 in synchro if both people miss the dive in the same way. Or you can end up getting a 9 in execution and a 4 in synchro if people hit the dive properly but land at different times. I don't remember which country it was that over-rotated a dive in the same fashion and made a huge splash, which prompted the announcer here (Cynthia Potter) to say they would get an unusual score because the dive was muffed, but they both missed it in the same exact way and they ended up getting a score that had 4's and 8's IIRC.

And the Chinese girls won the gymnastics because they did more difficult routines. It was mentioned before the competition began that their starting difficulty was 2.1 points better than ours. Sacramone's extra fall cost us another .8 and that was roughly the margin between gold and silver. Again, there hasn't been anything shady if you're paying attention to the commentary and understand how the scoring works.

I know that, I was talking about variances in execution scores and synchronisation scores. For example, there was one (Russia, maybe? I forget) that had some execution scores of 4.5, 5, 8, 9.5, or something ridiculous like that. There were a couple of others too, towards the end mainly, which had huge differences.

And I had no qualms with the results of the gymnastics, but I probably preferred the US, mainly because I can't get behind a team who look like they've done nothing but gymnastics their entire life <_<

I think there are age limits in gymnastics. Not sure about other sports, but in most other sports a child that young wouldn't be able to compete with adult athletes due to strength and such.

Also... AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

Highly anticipating watching the US Basketball team actually run into some competition.

I think there are age limits in gymnastics. Not sure about other sports, but in most other sports a child that young wouldn't be able to compete with adult athletes due to strength and such.

Also... AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

Highly anticipating watching the US Basketball team actually run into some competition.

Minimum age for female gymnasts in the Olympics is officially 16.