Beijing Olympics 2008

Guest Mr. Potato Head

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Womens... Swimming.. 400m medley i think

Stephanie Rice of Australia wins gold with a world record (le shock, a new WR in swimming =/)

The big countries are beginning to win the medals when it matters now. I don't think it'll be long until we begin to see a divide between the top countries and the rest.

I swear they give higher scores to Russia just cos they're EXPECTED to get higher scores <_<

One of ours just did an awesome routine on the mat, with her only fault just stepping outside the box slightly, and she got a 14.65 or something. One of Russia's completely botched the landing on her unparalled bars and got a 15. And just then a Ukrainian chick fell off the beam midway through her routine and still got a 15.175. Cheats <_< (unless the mat generally has lower scores than the others, in which case, I apologise :shifty:)

The differences between routines does vary. Pommel horse the men were getting high 14's mostly, then parallel bars they were getting 15's and vault they were getting 16's.

I'm not sure what the criteria is for scoring, but there is some differences. Because on the parallel bars the Koreans kept falling off but still getting high 14's. Yet a Brit put in a good pommel horse routine that put him near the top of the standings, but his was only a high 14 too.

Womens gymnastics on at the moment :pervert:

And none of these munter countries like China, we've got Russia, Germany, Ukraine and Australia ;)

The one time gymnastics is on with non Asians and my brother wanted to watch the fucking movie on 10. :angry:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Ahahahaha. The footprints in the sky during the opening ceremonies were CGI.

I wish I'd said something when I noticed, because now nobody will believe me that I called it.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Okay, so watching the Argentina/Australia football on TSN now, and the commentator is a guy named Mike McCann, who has an Aussie accent. Unlike Nigel Reed (CBC's main soccer announcer who has a British accent), I've never heard of this guy.

So...

1) Is he a regular Australian commentator?

2) Is it normal for English-speaking countries to use each others' announcers for events not involving their country? Or wouldn't most countries get shown anything as irrelevant to them as an entire Australia/Argentina football match is to Canadians?

Never heard of Mike McCann. He could do commentary for the A-League, but I wouldn't know. According to Wiki there's a Michael McCann who was an Aussie international hockey player, could be him.

Womens butterfly 100m finals

Yoy, Libby Trickett gets her first gold, and Jessica Schipper gets bronze after being 2nd at the turn. So we have two golds and two bronzes now :)

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Nice verbal blunder from Steve Armitage during the men's 100m breaststroke...

"(spoiler)'s gonna win this one, there's just a few more minutes to go..."