World Cup 2010 Thread

Have to say, that was a decent build-up to the goal, but an atrocious header. He's about four yards from goal, and heads it into the ground so hard it hits the underside of the bar as it bounces in. If that had gone over, I might've literally pissed myself laughing.

God i hate this referee he such a dickhead he just lovs to ruin the flow of the play for no apparent reason to many cards. I know its FIFA being dickheads telling them to be strict, but hes just trying to turn it into a non-contact sport it seems. fantastic performance by portugal earlier looked like a machine

Wow, how did the Swiss guy miss that opportunity, looks like Chile are through to the last 16, shame they seem to miss chances galore, a bit like Mexico in that sense.

Wow, how did the Swiss guy miss that opportunity, looks like Chile are through to the last 16, shame they seem to miss chances galore, a bit like Mexico in that sense.

I still think Chile might go out.

I can't see Honduras keeping Spain out in the same way the Swiss did, and Chile play in a way that is pretty much perfect for Spain, so they will finish on 6pts with a fairly healthy goal difference.

Switzerland will probably beat Honduras as well, although not by a massive amount, but Chile's goal difference could come back to haunt them if Spain decide they've got to make a bit of a statement in that game.

Chile actually has a really slim chance of going through sadly, depending on the outcome of the two games with Honduras. The way things are heading, it's looking like the top 3 teams will be tied at 6, and Chile would end up losing out due to GD if the Swiss do well in their next game.

I really enjoyed that Chile game. All the playacting, the stupid decisions and Sanchez's one-man celebration going crazy when the goal was disallowed made it hilarious to watch. I hope Chile can go through but I fear they are so attacking that they'll struggle against Spain.

Wouldn't Chile still go through even if they finished level on points with Switzerland? I thought they went off head-to-head results before goal difference these days.

Nope. From the official World Cup regulations, this is how it goes:

The ranking of each team in each group will be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

b) goal difference in all group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria,

their rankings will be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between

the teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the

teams concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the

teams concerned;

g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

Anyone else downloaded the Vuvuzela app for their iTouch/iPhone/iPad? Can't wait to use it to wake up the missus.

You might want to reserve yourself a posting space in the Whiny Bitch thread...

C'mon Honduras, do it for little Ivan!! :w00t:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Announcer just said that if Honduras loses they're out.

Wouldn't that put them at 0 points with the Swiss and Chile at 3? In which case if Honduras wins against Switzerland and wins by a lot, and Spain beats Chile, Honduras make it through?

Announcer just said that if Honduras loses they're out.

Wouldn't that put them at 0 points with the Swiss and Chile at 3? In which case if Honduras wins against Switzerland and wins by a lot, and Spain beats Chile, Honduras make it through?

Chile have 6 points. So if Chile beat Spain (putting them on 9 points and keeping Spain on 3) and Honduras beat Switzerland by some ridiculous number of goals, then three teams would be on 3 points and GD would decide it. So yes, they could, in theory.