Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

Rumours about a disagreement between Kolo Toure and Mancini about not being selected, probably BS but unhelpful at the start of the season if true.

Well, there were rumours about letting him go anyway, but he'd be nice cover if the 3-5-2 is going ahead as it seems to be. Kolo's not bad, but there must be a reason he isn't getting started over Savic.

FA says that Branislav Ivanovic will have no first team ban to serve despite his red card, as the Community Shield is not considered first team game. He will be banned for three reserve matches instead, though!

Beyond stupid. Players can just hack people down and cheat without consequence. Crazy.

...Okay, what the fuck. Even I don't understand that.

I mean, I suppose they may be saying that the CS is only on the level of an Emirates Cup/etc...players don't get banned from those...but that's not what I thought the situation was.

Apparently they changed the rules or some nonsense after the bans for Rooney and Scholes.

"It was thought Ivanovic would be banned for three matches, starting with Chelsea's opening Barclays Premier League fixture at Wigan next Sunday.

However, it now appears the FA changed their rules after an incident during an Amsterdam Tournament in 2006, when Manchester United pair Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney were both sent off against Porto and ended up serving three-match bans.

As the rule change covered all non-competitive pre-season fixtures, including the Community Shield, it means Ivanovic will be free to play at the DW Stadium."

I remember that Rooney sending off as well, it was ridiculous, never a red card. If memory serves me right it was Rooney's first game of pre-season after being sent off for England in the World Cup, the ref just seemed intent on making a name for himself that night.

• Like 1

Strange one I guess, its not a league fixture but its equally not a friendly that teams can opt not to play, so teams do risk their players being injured and should therefore risk suspensions. That said it puts the two teams who do play it at a disadvantage since its an extra game over the other 18 teams in which to be injured or suspended.

Judge by its merits I guess, I've not seen the game or the challenge, if its a genuine attempt to injure I'd say the ban should stand in the league.

That match wasn't, but that was mostly down to Ivanovic and co assuming that they'd get suspended for a reckless challenge.

If you have a scenario next year where everyone is aware that cards don't really count then you could see a really nasty last ten/twenty minutes if a team is clearly losing.