Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

I never quite get the 'people on my Facebook' logic. Those are people you know, if they're idiots tell them. Looking at my own it doesn't represent the media at all if 'peoples choice Harry Redknapp' is anything to go by, a fair few folk won a decent amount on Woy getting the England job.

For me outside of MOTDs most rubbish pundits for the last few years there's been a fair bit of acceptance that English players dive. It was glossed over a decade ago when Owen and Gerrard were at it but Ashley Young was well highlighted recently and the same will happen with Bale (finally. He's been at it everytime I've seen him play).

Suarez is being 'picked on' now because his manager went out of his way to state 'he won't get fouls given because people think he's a diver', even writing to the head ref to plead his case. Might have been sensible to tell him to stop for a little bit to actually get some action.

I certainly think the last point does hold some merit. As much as Suarez is their main guy, Rodgers should've said "I'll drop you if you dive after we've bitched and moaned about you not getting these decisions you deserve". Sure it might be frustrating for him and LFC, but the only way he'll get rid of the stigma of being a diver is...duhh...by stopping diving. How Suarez didn't realise that is ridiculous, and he's stupid for not being more professional.

I never quite get the 'people on my Facebook' logic. Those are people you know, if they're idiots tell them. Looking at my own it doesn't represent the media at all if 'peoples choice Harry Redknapp' is anything to go by, a fair few folk won a decent amount on Woy getting the England job.

For me outside of MOTDs most rubbish pundits for the last few years there's been a fair bit of acceptance that English players dive. It was glossed over a decade ago when Owen and Gerrard were at it but Ashley Young was well highlighted recently and the same will happen with Bale (finally. He's been at it everytime I've seen him play).

Suarez is being 'picked on' now because his manager went out of his way to state 'he won't get fouls given because people think he's a diver', even writing to the head ref to plead his case. Might have been sensible to tell him to stop for a little bit to actually get some action.

I certainly think the last point does hold some merit. As much as Suarez is their main guy, Rodgers should've said "I'll drop you if you dive after we've bitched and moaned about you not getting these decisions you deserve". Sure it might be frustrating for him and LFC, but the only way he'll get rid of the stigma of being a diver is...duhh...by stopping diving. How Suarez didn't realise that is ridiculous, and he's stupid for not being more professional.

Not really, he's a stubborn fucker, and not the brightest spark. His reaction to the last few weeks of bad decisions was probably "you won't give the decision my way if it's deserved? well then I'll dive more! :w00t: "

Not really, he's a stubborn fucker, and not the brightest spark. His reaction to the last few weeks of bad decisions was probably "you won't give the decision my way if it's deserved? well then I'll dive more! :w00t: "

So how exactly was he not stupid for that?

So how exactly was he not stupid for that?

I wouldn't say I'd drop him, but I'd certainly have had a chat to say 'look, I'm going to have a moan you aren't getting decisions, do yourself a favour and stay on your feet for a few weeks'. As it stands he's going to continue to make refs have a doubt in their heads for every challenge in the box, and who can blame them? For all the 'refs should call each decision on what they see', if Suarez gets dodgy penalty after dodgy penalty they're the ones who get it in the neck, much easier to not give it and have some sympathy for doing so.

Vaguely similar situation with Eden Hazard, although RDM seems to be treading a thin line between telling him to be careful and telling referees to "award the fouls FFS".

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8147889/Chelsea-manager-Roberto-Di-Matteo-warns-Eden-Hazard-he-must-try-to-stay-on-his-feet

I think one of the three penalties Hazard got awarded in the early weeks of the season was a touch dodgy - but then there have been two or three more clearcut ones since that haven't been awarded either.

I can't think of many times where 'he doesn't get the fouls' comes off well, did Fergie saying it about Ronaldo coincide with him staying on his feet more? Doing it for a habitual diver like Suarez (and I've not seen many worse in my 20 odd years of footie watching, every time I've seen him live I've been disgusted by him inside the box or not) is just daft and draws more attention to him.

All this talk of diving does help mask the fact Stoke kicked lumps out of Liverpool on Sunday, with Huth stomping on Suarez for one.

Well I didn't quote the Facebook people (sorry if it was you Nerf :shifty:) to say that they copy the media, just that most people will apply double standards to foreign players and British players. But people do largely follow what the media tells them. Of course there are exceptions, and The Sun's foaming-at-the-mouth Redknapp love-in certainly isn't unanimous. The majority probably did want him as England boss but only after the papers made such a big deal out of it, and it wasn't as if anybody was that disappointed to see Hodgson take it. Except Liverpool fans I guess. I would've rather we didn't insist on hiring an English manager while a lot of other countries hire foreign coaches and most of ours are shit, but Woy was the best of the bunch we've got.

Edited by Pesci

All this talk of diving does help mask the fact Stoke kicked lumps out of Liverpool on Sunday, with Huth stomping on Suarez for one.

It hasn't really, Huths stamp has been highlighted by the media and Brendan Rodgers who conveniently neglected to mention a certain dive. If anything Huths stamp is being used by Liverpool fans (and manager) to try and mask a silly dive, while most sensible people have seen both and judge both to be dirty great cheats.

Confirmed that Wonga have signed a four year shirt sponsorship deal with Newcastle, stadium naming rights are included but for some reason its going back to St James' Park. For now.

The FSF and David Miliband (he of Sunderland) are protesting it as not appropriate, but I can't see why Wonga would be any worse than booze or gambling ads. Wonga!

Confirmed that Wonga have signed a four year shirt sponsorship deal with Newcastle, stadium naming rights are included but for some reason its going back to St James' Park. For now.

The FSF and David Miliband (he of Sunderland) are protesting it as not appropriate, but I can't see why Wonga would be any worse than booze or gambling ads. Wonga!

Probably because they'd actually like to do continue doing business in Northumberland and Durham.