nPower Football League Thread 2012/13

Lineker

• Admin

Blackburn manager Steve Kean has been "forced to resign" with immediate effect due to his position becoming "untenable", he said in a statement through his lawyers this evening.

Steve Kean says he has been "forced to resign" as manager of Championship side Blackburn Rovers.

The Scot, 44, has left Ewood Park with immediate effect because his position had become "untenable", he said in a statement.

Blackburn owners Venky's held talks with Kean at the weekend following a 2-1 home defeat by Middlesbrough.

Kean said earlier on Friday that he believed the talks had been "positive and constructive".

Rovers were relegated from the Premier League in May but have made a solid start to the new season, taking 14 points from their first seven matches.

They are currently third in the table behind Brighton and Huddersfield.

Kean had been in charge of the Lancashire club since December 2010 when he replaced the sacked Sam Allardyce.

The statement, which was issued through Kean's lawyers on Friday, said: "For reasons that I cannot discuss on legal advice, it is with deep regret, given my hard work and service for the club for a number of years, that I have been forced to resign as manager of Blackburn Rovers football club with immediate effect, due to my position as team manager becoming untenable.

"I wish to thank all the players and coaching staff for their great support and the majority of the fans, who now see their club heading towards an automatic promotion position back to the Premiership. I wish the club all the very best for the future."

A large number of Blackburn supporters have held protests against Kean for much of his 21-month reign, but he had retained the backing of Indian owners Venky's.

There were more calls for his exit from a sizeable majority of the home crowd throughout Friday's loss against Middlesbrough, which was Rovers' first defeat of the Championship season.

A fans' boycott has led to attendances at Ewood Park falling significantly this season, with the 13,405 crowd against Middlesbrough more than 9,000 down on the average crowds they were attracting in the Premier League last season.

Following Kean's appointment, Rovers only avoided relegation from the Premier League on the final day of the 2010-11 season with a 3-2 victory at Wolves.

And he was unable to save them from the drop last season, ending the club's 11-year stay in the top flight.

He had been given significant financial support by the owners during the summer, allowing him to sign 12 new players, including the record capture of Jordan Rhodes from Huddersfield for a fee which could rise to £8m.

Experienced internationals such as Portugal striker Nuno Gomes and former England midfielder Danny Murphy were also added to the squad, the majority of which had been kept intact despite their relegation to the second tier.

Venky's :lol:

• Admin
Leeds Utd Takeover

BBC Leeds are told by sources close to the deal to buy Leeds United that GFH (Capital) will be the new ultimate owner of the club upon a successful acquisition. In a statement the middle eastern investment outfit have given reassurances that they and their parent company GFH are in strong financial positions. It is understood that GFH (Capital) would like to express their gratitude to Leeds United chairman Ken Bates for leaving the club in a position ready for them to take it to the next level.

Derbys kit is horrible. Let's shift the club and kit manufacturer badges up to your shoulders so we can have 'buymobiles.net' in huge font on your chest. Looks like the 'hilarious' text only sponsors my Pro Evo 4ish Master League Team would have, only worse.

I'm genuinely confused. Why do a lot of Blackburn fans seem to think that Steve Kean resigning ("resigning") is the answer to their problems? They seem to be acting like he was all that was wrong at the club, and not Venky's.

One moron said on TFLS last night that "the players weren't playing for him". Third in the league and barely a loss all season seems to contradict that statement somewhat.

Not really performances have been absolutely shocking. If it hadn't been for Rhodes, Gomes and Rochina pretty much scoring all the time from nothing, we would be stuck. The defence play like they have never met before (no idea if we still do, but the other week when top we had conceded the most goals in the keague) , and Danny Murphy plays like he was signed from a lower league team, not as a Premier League veteran.

I agree that Kean alone wasn't the only problem though. Venky's have a lot of questions to answer.

• Admin

I'm genuinely confused. Why do a lot of Blackburn fans seem to think that Steve Kean resigning ("resigning") is the answer to their problems? They seem to be acting like he was all that was wrong at the club, and not Venky's.

One moron said on TFLS last night that "the players weren't playing for him". Third in the league and barely a loss all season seems to contradict that statement somewhat.

The team has been extraordinarily lucky this year. I can't think of a game where we've actually been the better team.

It's certainly not the solution to all the clubs woes, but at least Venkys have changed their stance somewhat, putting some money into the club and appointing some sensible people into more senior roles. They've a long way to go, but it's a start.

Kean on the other hand was just outright bad. Delusional at the best of times, downright arrogant at others, but hopelessly inept at all times.

The Venkys are a massive problem, but they are in India. kean was the clueless cunt in charge. It's just the timing is bizarre, how many other clubs would sack their manager weeks after letting him make the club's record signing?