2012/13 UEFA Champions League thread

Lineker

Yeah but, Nani?

Nani or Rooney? Both are capable of great things but one works really hard for the team when we haven't got the ball. And the other one, well he's Portuguese.

Lucky Madrid have one of those who plays in a similar position, eh?

Ronaldo often finds himself up front on his own, can't see Nani doing that.

The midfield three are going to have to spread out when Real Madrid (Ronaldo) get the ball out wide because otherwise Rafael and Evra could find themselves being overwhelmed.

SAF saying he thinks that Welbeck can do a better job marking Alonso than Rooney can.

I don't buy that as the reason one bit and if the gaffer really thinks that, then I personally, think he's wrong. Rooney, in my opinion, is very good at defending and if you told him to stop Alonso from playing, I have no doubt that he could do it better than Welbeck.

Strange decision, for me.

When's the last time Rooney barged past someone with what used to be trademark pace and power? That's they key to beating Real and it's what Welbeck and Nani are capable of..still an extremely extremely ballsy decision. Giggs embarassing Coentrao near the corner was top quality though.

I've never been clear why I keeper punching a player in the face while going for a ball, and not winning it, isn't a foul in the same way kicking a player is a foul after they've got to the ball first. I'm not saying penalty or anything, I've just never had it clarified. I'm not saying it's wrong either, just curious what the rulebook says.