The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

I finished Rise of the Skywalker. 

The story and dialogue were incredibly poor. I felt strangely like certain performances were bad. Kylo, Luke and Poe just did not connect with the material. Poe in particular looked bored. It was far too bloated.  

Was it a bad movie? Yes. I could not coherently articulate the plot of the movie and I finished it an hour ago. 

Was it a bad Star Wars movie? No. Maybe really unsatisfactory for those invested in the Last Jedi. But like the prequels before it just seemed interested in its own tropes and lore rather than carving something new. That is Star Wars. They recycle the same ideas and concepts and arcs and repurpose them. You can't really get angry that they smashed together Empire and Return of the Jedi in one movie. That is textbook Star Wars.

I rewatched all the movies with my kids to introduce them to Star Wars. Here is the definitive ranking of the Star Wars movies, from worst to best.

3, 2, 9, 1, 4, 7, 6, 8, 5.

The first four were easy to order because they were bad movies. 5 out of 9 being good ain't bad for a movie series.

Also that is an objective list so don't @ me and say it is wrong. And if you are like "why is 1 the best prequel" its because the story actually makes sense and if you remove Jar Jar Binks the movie would probably be good.

• Like 1

Just put the girls to bed after watching The Empire Strikes Back. Their little faces when Vader told Luke that he was his father. Oh my God. I wish I had taken pictures. My oldest had a confused look while still starring at the TV. My littlest immediately wanted to discuss just how someone as good as Luke could have such a dastardly man as a father. It was adorable. Tomorrow night we finish the original trilogy. :)

Then the girls want to go back and watch the prequels because they just have to know how Darth Vader went from good to bad. I'm terrified my five year old will take notes. <_< 

• Like 8

I've watched a few episodes of The Mandalorian, which is the first Star Wars content set after the original trilogy I've seen. I like it, but I wouldn't say I love it. However, it does make me think that the best potential for good Star Wars content is now through television series, rather than films.

• Like 1

I watched the first... thee episodes of Mandalorian and I think I was also very firmly in "I like this but don't love it" territory with it. I want to watch more, but any time I'm like "I should watch a show" it's been some other show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

Just put the girls to bed after watching The Empire Strikes Back. Their little faces when Vader told Luke that he was his father. Oh my God. I wish I had taken pictures. My oldest had a confused look while still starring at the TV. My littlest immediately wanted to discuss just how someone as good as Luke could have such a dastardly man as a father. It was adorable. Tomorrow night we finish the original trilogy. :)

Then the girls want to go back and watch the prequels because they just have to know how Darth Vader went from good to bad. I'm terrified my five year old will take notes. 

I watched the originals first and than the prequels. My daughter was convinced that Anakin was actually Luke so I told her right there it was the story of Darth Vader to avoid horrifying her.

6 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I watched the first... thee episodes of Mandalorian and I think I was also very firmly in "I like this but don't love it" territory with it. I want to watch more, but any time I'm like "I should watch a show" it's been some other show.

Basically where I am at with it. I am definitely going to keep watching, but it's just not priority viewing for me as yet.

Yeah, it's not a great TV series, I'd say, but it's fun. I'd put it in the vein of the Flash (I can't think of another show like this right now), where it's not bad so it's not a wasted hour, but it's definitely not amazing or anything. Maybe after another season it can really find its feet and become even better, like most TV shows (see: Legends of Tomorrow or Agents of SHIELD).

Will probably never be as good as Clone Wars, though 😛 

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Speaking of Clone Wars, is it worth watching all the way through? I notice that it's just ended, but it looks as though there are a lot of episodes altogether.

I watched the first season or so of Clone Wars. It was fine. It was very child friendly and approachable. It has a structure and cadence to the episodes that is familiar to TV. There is lots of filler in the episodes. I did not feel compelled to watch the second season of the show not because it was necessarily a bad show, but because it was a kids show and there were better things to watch. I'll probably watch it with my kids someday. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Speaking of Clone Wars, is it worth watching all the way through? I notice that it's just ended, but it looks as though there are a lot of episodes altogether.

I've heard nothing but good things about it, and there seems to be a large cult following, but I struggle with the art style. Going to give it a shot myself once I'm up to date on Mandolorian.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

I've heard nothing but good things about it, and there seems to be a large cult following, but I struggle with the art style. Going to give it a shot myself once I'm up to date on Mandolorian.

I was really put off by the art style, but 5-10 mins into the first episode I'd kinda forgotten about it because its really easy to get into.

@Benji I'm currently watching Clone Wars, although I'm only a few episodes into the first season so far. It's definitely worth watching the 2008 film first (and possibly AOTC immediately before that too), otherwise it might seem like its just jumping into a story with new characters inexplicably being added alongside existing ones. It's been decent so far, a few episodes have followed on from each other so it's not like its basic kids TV with a familiar setting. My understanding is that the series' best purpose is expanding on several of the characters who don't feel relevant enough in ROTS, building up an actual investment in some of them, as well as expanding upon several things that tie into several of the later films (i.e. the originals, Rogue One, and Solo) and that follow up series they've already done, Rebels.

I definitely plan on getting through the entire run as I've heard it really nails bridging the gap between Episodes II and III, and great character development throughout the series. Not sure whether I'll press on afterwards with Rebels though. What little I've seen of it makes it seem more like the kids TV concept I mentioned above.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I finished The Mandalorian. I think it got better as it went on. It won't go down as one of the great masterpieces of storytelling, but it was quite fun. Some of the casting is great, and I was surprised at how many actors I recognised.

Seconded. I finished it the other day and found the second half went from average to really fun. Herein is contained by favourite moment:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I finished The Mandalorian. I think it got better as it went on. It won't go down as one of the great masterpieces of storytelling, but it was quite fun. Some of the casting is great, and I was surprised at how many actors I recognised.

Spoiler

I knew he had been cast in the show but I didn't look up any more details. So when Giancarlo Esposito showed up playing the role he's playing I nearly lost it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...