The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I watched the entire first season of The Mandalorian over the past two weeks and really enjoyed it. Not mind-blowing or anything but pretty cool, lots of fun and full of great actors, sets and scenes.

Spoiler

As far as the story goes, it didn't do anything groundbreaking but was good, coherent fun for the most part. It didn't overdo fan service whilst managing to weave solid links to elements of the films throughout, and kept me engaged with an intriguing, emotionally investing overarching story. The Western elements are right up my street and I think they mostly blended that genre well with the classic feel of Star Wars.

I love the score, that was brilliant throughout, and the casting was phenomenal. Pretty much every episode had me smiling at people who were popping up, from Nick Nolte and Taika Waititi to Natalia Tena, Richard Ayoade and more. Don't get me started on Werner Herzog as well! An inspired choice to play The Client.

Pedro Pascal did a great job considering you can't read his face for 99% of the series, and I think every major supporting character hit the right note just about. Some episodes I thought were really cool, some just so-so, but I never lost interest and am excited to see what else they can do with the Star Wars universe in this episodic TV format.

My favourite actor is going to be in season 2 which is an added bonus. Looking forward to seeing if the show can step up a level this go round.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That ending is exactly what you all think it is and I am so fucking hyped. Even just seeing the armor and knowing it was that armor. Let alone the cameo at the end.

Hype train destination hyperspace.

• Like 1

I didn't even need the reveals of the episode to land for it to be great to me - and my dense self did not immediately click on the fact that

Spoiler

Timothy Raylan Bullock Cobb was wearing Boba Fett's actual armour until it was pointed out to me, and it took me a second to clock that Temeura Morrison was the guy at the end

because I just loved it. Mando was slick as ever, Baby Yoda was cute as a button and the story was solid with plenty of classic Star Wars elements to enjoy.

Also

Spoiler

Timothy Olyphant just rules as this sort of character, doesn't he? He has that casual swagger to light up any scene and fair play to him for leaning into his best roles with yet another Western Lawman portrayal. But this time in space!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's BOSS TIME!

Also, while I haven't watched The Clone Wars, I'm enough of a Star Wars fan to know

Spoiler

Bringing Ashoka Tano into live action is a huge deal, so looking forward to that

• Like 1

On 15/11/2020 at 03:50, Maxx said:

It's BOSS TIME!

Also, while I haven't watched The Clone Wars, I'm enough of a Star Wars fan to know

Reveal hidden contents

I last watched The Clone Wars a long time ago and not all of it but I'm hyped as hell for your spoiler.

• 2 weeks later...

So we binged the first season over the past week and man I didn't realise how good The Mandalorian was. I fucking love it, might be my favourite Star Wars medium to date. 

It's probably been mentioned countless times, but the score is absolutely outstanding. It's so subtle but effective, fits perfectly and manages to be very Star Wars-esque despite being completely unique. Even if you listen to it loud it's quiet - in a weird sort of way. 

I knew that I was going to love the Mandalorian. I figured, if it's basically Agents of SHIELD, but featuring characters that have more of an impact on the larger Star Wars universe, that I would be happy... but it's so much bigger than I ever dared anticipate.