The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

I just saw it, I really enjoyed it. If I was nitpicking the plot then sure, there's certain things I didn't like and would have done differently myself, but overall I had a great time and I feel they made it an entertaining, interesting and fitting end to a nine-film series that means a lot to me and many others.

Without getting into spoilers in it, I'm someone who's on the side of feeling that Last Jedi was a bit too much of a departure, seemingly for the sake of being different. I didn't really like what Rian Johnson did with it (although I did enjoy the film and loved certain aspects of it - especially Kylo Ren's plot) so JJ Abrams coming back for Rise of Skywalker and bringing it back to more of what Force Awakens was trying to do was preferable for me.

On 20/12/2019 at 21:30, Kaney Klaus said:

Also was the first time I've ever experienced a theatre applauding at the end credits. That was a bizarre feeling.

Only time I've ever experienced that was at the end of Rogue One, incidentally. Also found it strange to be part of.

I liked Rise of Skywalker, but I'm not a super Star Wars fan so I can't really nitpick at the plot. It makes sense to me, but I'm not really thinking about it too hard either. I'm sad because we have to say goodbye to characters like Finn and Rey, who I definitely want to see more of.

But, more importantly: Give me a Disney+ series about the adventures of Zorii & Babu Frik in a post-ROS world.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2019 at 12:53, Hellraiser said:

I finally watched Solo. Good movie. Both Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover nailed as Han Solo and Lando Calrissian. So far I have enjoyed the side stories more than the main movies. A shame that they won't be making any more of these. 

I waited for a long time to watch this, then put it on the other day... and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun.

15 hours ago, Toe said:

I waited for a long time to watch this, then put it on the other day... and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun.

I definitely think it's a somewhat underrated movie. Absolutely inessential viewing, IMO, but Alden Ehrenreich does a good job of playing a Han Solo that hasn't become jaded and cynical yet and frankly, one of the minor moments I wish Rise of Skywalker had had was a nod to the actual relationship between Lando and the Millennium Falcon.

also, the big reveal at the end was pretty surprising and I'm sad that probably won't get followed up on.

6 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

also, the big reveal at the end was pretty surprising and I'm sad that probably won't get followed up on.

Spoiler

There will probably no follow-up to what happened in the movie. But Maul shows up in both Clone Wars and Rebels. So if you want to learn how he survived Naboo and what his ultimate fate is I suggest you watch the episodes he is in. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

There will probably no follow-up to what happened in the movie. But Maul shows up in both Clone Wars and Rebels. So if you want to learn how he survived Naboo and what his ultimate fate is I suggest you watch the episodes he is in. 

Spoilers for Mandalorian ahead.

I really hope that we get to see him in live action again. There are rumors that he may play a role in season two of the Mandalorian, with his connection to Moff Gideon's darksaber. Even though they are considered canon, I haven't been able to really get into the animated shows, which is a huge shame as that's where the bulk of Maul's story is played out.

4 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Spoilers for Mandalorian ahead.

Hide contents

I really hope that we get to see him in live action again. There are rumors that he may play a role in season two of the Mandalorian, with his connection to Moff Gideon's darksaber. Even though they are considered canon, I haven't been able to really get into the animated shows, which is a huge shame as that's where the bulk of Maul's story is played out.

The Mandalorian takes place in between episode 6 and 7, right? 

Major spoiler for Rebels.

Spoiler

If that is the case then he can't appear in it since he dies in Rebels. And that show takes place in between Episodes 3 and 4.  

And yes, Maul is in possession of the Dark Saber when Rebels starts. But by the time the show ends the saber has changed hands. 

Edited by Hellraiser

I'm only going to say this for now, having finally watched TROS:

Spoiler

Emperor Palpatine somehow being alive all this time, for like 30+ years or something, without anyone knowing, having a whole secret fleet of Death Star level Star Destroyers, and all these followers still on this never heard of planet that know one can find, so that way when the time comes for the Final Order, there are even more ships and bad guys to fight... Is both simultaneously the most fucking stupid thing, and most Star Wars thing, absolutely ever.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

I'm only going to say this for now, having finally watched TROS:

Hide contents

Emperor Palpatine somehow being alive all this time, for like 30+ years or something, without anyone knowing, having a whole secret fleet of Death Star level Star Destroyers, and all these followers still on this never heard of planet that know one can find, so that way when the time comes for the Final Order, there are even more ships and bad guys to fight... Is both simultaneously the most fucking stupid thing, and most Star Wars thing, absolutely ever.

Spoiler

I honestly gave them a bit of a free pass for that detail because I've always taken the idea that evil bides it's time to heart with the Sith. Like it's incredibly lazy but Star Wars has also made it very evident that the Sith love to be "behind the scenes".

• 1 month later...

My daughter came home from school a few weeks ago asking who Rey and Padme. We had watched the original 3 movies last year, but never watched anything else. So we are watching the prequels. 

I watched the prequels after the Force Awakens and I found them to be god awful and I vowed to never watch them. Here we are.

My daughter is quite lost, but loves the action scenes. I wonder how the reception of Phantom Menace impacted the development of the movie. Phantom Menace felt like a Star Wars movie. Attack of the Clones feels like they responded to the negative feedback of Phantom Menace and just went full on fan service. So little makes sense without context from the original movies. Jango Fett dying, the Death Star plans, Anakins turn to the dark side, Yoda actually being a bad ass.