The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

Is Henderson out for the Chelsea game? If so, that's a major fuck up on his part. I reckon you need him for that game but can get by without him in the others. Might need your neighbours to do you a favour if you don't beat Chelsea.

I'm not too worried about Henderson being gone just because I think Allens recent performances have been good. The tempo changed yesterday when he came on and we were much stable in midfield after the initial City bombardment during the 2nd half. He's a similar type of player he has the energy to do what Henderson does maybe not as talented but it's a like for like swap.

I'm not too worried about Henderson being gone just because I think Allens recent performances have been good. The tempo changed yesterday when he came on and we were much stable in midfield after the initial City bombardment during the 2nd half. He's a similar type of player he has the energy to do what Henderson does maybe not as talented but it's a like for like swap.

I don't know if Allen has the same energy as Henderson necessarily. He's a better player technically than Henderson though.

If Rodgers continues with this whole Sterling AND Coutinho thing then I don't worry too much about energy in the midfield.

• Admin

Can't see why Rodgers would want to start changing a winning formula now (unless it's forced throughi injury or suspension).

Question - if Liverpool do pull this off, does it rank as greater achievement than Rafa winning the Champion's League?

Can't see why Rodgers would want to start changing a winning formula now (unless it's forced throughi injury or suspension).

Question - if Liverpool do pull this off, does it rank as greater achievement than Rafa winning the Champion's League?

Probably not, we have a collapse of 2 big teams to thank, and BR has had longer to build his own squad, just my opinion though.

I would say it would be, yes. The final in Istanbul was the greatest football match I have ever seen and winning the Champions League was phenomenal for them but I think being the best team over 38 games is a better achievement, especially considering the spending power of their opposition.

• Like 1

I'd agree with that. While the Champions League is the endgame, it's easier for a smaller team to win a knockout competition (after the group games) than to win a league title. Di Matteo was sacked after winning the CL, I don't think he would've been had he won the league instead.

As a Liverpool fan winning the league is a bigger achievement. It's been so long since we won one, it just feels massive for the club.

I've always placed the Premier League and Champions League on about equal footing, with the preference largely dependent on how long it's been since you've won either one (if at all).

I think if you've won neither, or it's been too damn long to count, then the domestic title holds more importance. Others may disagree though.

I the modern game it's far more difficult for an outsider to win the league than Europe. In Europe you could possibly get a pretty easy route to the semi finals, from there you just need a bit of luck

I the modern game it's far more difficult for an outsider to win the league than Europe. In Europe you could possibly get a pretty easy route to the semi finals, from there you just need a bit of luck