Champions League 2013/14

METALMAN

Super Cup! Super Cup! Tonight! :w00t:

Classic 'Community Shield' mentality where the winners love it and the losers say it doesn't really matter... Objectively though, Bayern are the better team with so many of their key players at their peaks around the age of 27 or 28, compared to our bunch of 22 or 23 year olds (plus they rested half their squad in their last match, we didn't), so they have to be the favourites.

Will be fun though. And I say that as someone who even enjoyed our mauling by Falcao last year in a "lol, CARNAGE" kind of way. :shifty:

Bayern Munich: Neuer, Dante, Rafinha, Boateng, Lahm, Ribéry, Robben, T. Müller, Alaba, Kroos, Mandžukić

Subs: Starke, Van Buyten, Contento, Javi Martínez, Shaqiri, Götze, Pizarro

Chelsea: Cech, Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Cole, Ramires, Lampard, Oscar, Hazard, Schurrle, Torres

Subs: Schwarzer, Essien, Mata, Mikel, Lukaku, Terry, Azpilicueta

The lack of obvious rotation suggests we're taking this seriously enough, I guess.

I am a bit shocked Mata is not starting to be honest. Can you see him going Stoke?

Not really. I think José's thinking has gone thusly: Mata plays his first game at Villa and is shattered after 60 mins, so off he comes. No way he's starting at United four days later, but maybe he can come off the bench...except the game is on too much of a knife-edge to throw a semi-fit Mata in. Now it's a game with a trophy at stake and so José picks what (so far as I can tell) are probably his 11 with the top match fitness in the squad - so again, bench for Mata, but perhaps he will feature later.

If he'd gone full rotation and brought in Azpilicueta, Essien, Mikel, Bertrand, Lukaku, or whoever...but still kept Mata out, I would perhaps be more confused. But the fact that there hasn't makes me think this is the most likely reasoning.