2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

How the hell is Shola Ameobi even a Premier League player let alone getting near a World Cup squad.

In his past 5 PL seasons, he's played 125 games and scored 15 goals...

First post in a week so I'd best make it important:

Fuck off.

Come on, you've gotta admit he's absolutely useless.

How the hell is Shola Ameobi even a Premier League player let alone getting near a World Cup squad.

Fuck off.

Come on, you've gotta admit he's absolutely useless.

This season he wasn't. Not really a goalscorer but contributed in a lot of games for us.

For a player who is pretty much a physical wreck from playing through injury while highly paid twats sat on the sidelines, he's still a decent third choice Premier League striker just due to a bit of intelligence. Any goal stats largely ignore the fact that he generally comes on to close out a game and therefore plays ten minutes without a chance, and the fact that we're dogshit anyway...

His Le Tissier-esque penalty record doesn't hurt either, he'd do a job for a Nigeria squad that's hardly that 90s golden generation team.

• Like 2

Fuck off.

A week?! I never noticed! Did you miss me?

• Like 1

Rumour doing the rounds is that Ashley Cole has rejected a standby place in England's squad. Looks like Baines and Shaw will be in the 23 then.

Details of the rest of the squad being reported too. Lampard, Milner, Barkley, Lallana and Henderson in. Carrick and Cleverley will miss out.

Also, I hate it when players reject standby places.

If I'm Ashely Cole, like fuck am I hanging around for a month playing second fiddle to a guy 15 years younger than me.

He has 107 caps and has played in 3 World Cups, I can understand why he wouldn't want to go on the standby list. It's embarrassing.

I think Shaw is the right choice nonetheless.

• Like 1

I don't think the rejection means Cole is being all "grrr I'm experienced and deserve a place so fuck you, not going on stand by" - he might just want to go on a long holiday, so if he's not going to the World Cup, he can just go with no distractions. I'd understand if that's the case.

Ashley Cole has confirmed his omission on Twitter and announced his retirement from international football.

Ashley Cole ‏@TheRealAC3 3m

I got the call from Roy and agree England team should be about the young players. I think it best I retire from England team now.

We have a great manager and team and I wish them only success. I will be supporting them like a true fan. Thanks to everyone for everything
Edited by Starvinho
  • Like 1

Also, I hate it when players reject standby places.

If I'm Ashely Cole, like fuck am I hanging around for a month playing second fiddle to a guy 15 years younger than me.

He has 107 caps and has played in 3 World Cups, I can understand why he wouldn't want to go on the standby list. It's embarrassing.

I think Shaw is the right choice nonetheless.

Fuck that. He's played for England 107 times, he should know what it's like to wear the shirt. He should be proud, and he should know the position the team is in. He should be professional about it and realise that, while he's no longer first or second choice, he should still want to go if possible. It's honestly baffling to me.

If that's how he feels then fuck him, he doesn't deserve to go anyway.

edit: Oh, that's actually a really good retirement message. Fair enough. :shifty:

I would have still taken Ashlry Cole over Luke Shaw. I still think he's the better player, for the short term at least.

Likewise.

Why are we not taking a player who has not only played in 3 WC's but was also one of our best players at them? Pretty stupid decisions if you ask me. Why not have an experienced back up player instead of an inexperienced one?

Edited by Machismo
  • Like 1