2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

Because, realistically, we're not going to win the World Cup. And, if Roy gets his way, Baines will probably start every game anyway. Why not give Luke Shaw some tournament experience, let him know what it's all about, so by the time we get to 2016, he'll be that every bit more experience and ready for the demands of an international tournament.

Also, I hate it when players reject standby places.

If I'm Ashely Cole, like fuck am I hanging around for a month playing second fiddle to a guy 15 years younger than me.

He has 107 caps and has played in 3 World Cups, I can understand why he wouldn't want to go on the standby list. It's embarrassing.

I think Shaw is the right choice nonetheless.

Fuck that. He's played for England 107 times, he should know what it's like to wear the shirt. He should be proud, and he should know the position the team is in. He should be professional about it and realise that, while he's no longer first or second choice, he should still want to go if possible. It's honestly baffling to me.

If that's how he feels then fuck him, he doesn't deserve to go anyway.

edit: Oh, that's actually a really good retirement message. Fair enough. :shifty:

Eh I can see why experienced players turn down standby spots.

If I'm in the twilight years of my career, the last thing i want to be doing is being away all summer training without making any contribution. It's easy for everybody to get all patriotic and say that, but I can see why players would rather spend that time with their family recuperating and prolonging what's left of their club career than playing 2nd fiddle to an 18 year old.

Edited by TCO

He'll get experience in qualifiers. It's a bit defeatist to constantly go on about preparing for big tournaments then when they come along pick a team of youngsters to get them ready for next time. You're a team in the World Cup, it's as big as it gets. It's seven games and anything could happen so you should pick the best team available to you right then. The World Cup should not be approached with the same mindset as that of a mid table team playing their last game of the season.

• Like 2

The Mirror reporting that Jon Flanagan could be on standby instead of Cole. They're also saying John Stones could be in the squad.

I would have taken Cole and started him too. Baines has barely played any competitive games against decent opposition. Shaw's had a good season but Cole's proven himself so many times over (a few of them recently) that it just seems silly for him not to be there. The World Cup is what two years worth of games build up to, the big match players should be on the plane.

Still, Barkley, Hendo and Lallana looking like they're all in and Carrick and Cleverley seemingly being shafted is the right decision for me. I'd have taken Lampard too. Never know when he'll pop up with a goal, whereas you can predict that Michael Carrick wasn't going to get a 90th minute winner at international level.

He'll get experience in qualifiers. It's a bit defeatist to constantly go on about preparing for big tournaments then when they come along pick a team of youngsters to get them ready for next time. You're a team in the World Cup, it's as big as it gets. It's seven games and anything could happen so you should pick the best team available to you right then. The World Cup should not be approached with the same mindset as that of a mid table team playing their last game of the season.

Going away and being at a tournament is completely different from playing for England in the qualifiers. The training style and lifestyle is different. The sooner players become accustomed to that, the better.

Baines plays every week for Everton.

The 'step up' to international football is a myth.

I think there is a step up, not necessarily that it's a higher standard of football but in needing to be at your best the whole time with a group of players you don't know as well. This seems like the type of tournament where our backs will be against the wall most of the time and Cole's perfect for it. If not to start than to have on the bench as a proven deputy, at least.

Going away and being at a tournament is completely different from playing for England in the qualifiers. The training style and lifestyle is different. The sooner players become accustomed to that, the better.

You say that, but how do you actually know having previous experience of playing at a tournament is so vital and plain old international experience isn't good enough? Feel free to draw upon your own experience of playing in international tournaments in order to support your case.

Me, I'd have said having your best players there is more important.

You say that, but how do you actually know having previous experience of playing at a tournament is so vital and plain old international experience isn't good enough? Feel free to draw upon your own experience of playing in international tournaments in order to support your case.

Me, I'd have said having your best players there is more important.

Cos my best mate Scotty Parker told me :/

I don't think Leo Messi should be in the Argentina squad. They should give it to some 17 year old because you never know, he might be really good in four years time and this experience would help him.

Plus Messi isn't going to be around for ever. :/

• Like 1

It didn't work for Theo Walcott in 2006. All you did was lose a valuable striker spot when 2 of your 3 strikers weren't really fit, and the other one was Peter Crouch.

I agree with metalman, World Cup is the kind of place you need the seasoned guys to come in.

• Like 1

I don't think Leo Messi should be in the Argentina squad. They should give it to some 17 year old because you never know, he might be really good in four years time and this experience would help him.

Plus Messi isn't going to be around for ever. :/

Oh, what do you know about World Cup squads. You're Scottish. :shifty:

Sorry Kaney!

• Like 3

Walcott had never played a Premier League game. Shaw has.

Absolutely the right call not taking Cole. He's barely played since January.

That's a good point, I like your thinking. Along those lines, Cameron Jerome has played more Premier League games than Daniel Sturridge this season so he is clearly much better and should be in the sqwod instead of him.

• Like 4

• Admin

But then form comes into it and Sturridge has been in form whereas Jerome hasn't really. I recall seeing somewhere that before his recent recall a couple of weeks ago, Cole had only played 12 minutes of football since January. Hard to justify that inclusion.

Kyle Walker has also been left out of the squad.