2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

So I had never really watched football before the World Cup. I randomly decided to watch a couple of the games, the first one being USA/Ghana.

I can't stop watching now. I don't really know anybody outside of the big names (Messi, Ronaldo, etc.) but man has it been fun to watch. I don't really have a team I'm rooting for, although I think I could easily be swayed to be a Messi fan and therefore root for Argentina. Otherwise, I'm just hoping for fun, competitive matches where, ideally, the underdog wins.

I think this also might mean I'll have to find a team to start following in a league.

• Like 1

Let me do the best ever EWBer a favour and help him find a club.

Are you bothered what club you follow, as in what league they belong to, their level etc for a start?

Yes, I have an agenda. >_>

• Like 1

Not really, no. In terms of MLS, I'll probably root for Toronto FC, but ideally, I'd like to follow a European league.

My strategy was just going to try and find a player I quite like, then cheer for the team they play for.

rhodes-429499.jpg

Sorted. :)

• Like 1

FIFPro have questioned the Suarez ban.

The international players' union has questioned the severity and focus of FIFA's punishment of Luis Suarez for biting an opponent at the World Cup, saying it "infringes his right to work" and doesn't offer him the treatment he needs.

FIFPro said Friday that "rehabilitation and serious treatment ... must be a part of any sanction" for the Uruguay and Liverpool forward.

"Luis Suarez deserves all the support he needs including legal support in the appeal case in order to achieve a reduction of the sanctions," FIFPro said in a statement.

The player also must have "support he needs to deal with any off-field issues he may be experiencing at this time," the union said.

Suarez bit the left shoulder of defender Giorgio Chiellini on Tuesday in Natal during Uruguay's 1-0 win over Italy, an incident that went unpunished by the referee but was witnessed by fans around the world on TV. It was the third time he has bitten an opponent, after incidents in the Dutch and English leagues.

Suarez has returned to Montevideo after FIFA banished him on Thursday with a nine-match suspension from Uruguay's competitive matches, a four-month ban from all football and a fine of 100,000 Swiss francs ($112,000).

The Uruguay football federation is preparing an appeal to FIFA, which Liverpool is not involved in.

FIFPro said the FIFA appeals committee must "focus especially on the accumulation of sanctions."

"The fact that Suarez is prohibited from working for a long period must be addressed as it directly infringes his right to work," the Netherlands-based union said. "Also the fact that Liverpool FC is affected needs to be an important issue."

FIFPro says it reviewed the full judgment of FIFA's disciplinary panel, and suggested that an appeal can "re-establish the facts in a calm and considered setting."

If FIFA dismisses Suarez's appeal, a further legal challenge is allowed at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland.

It could freeze the sanctions upon request, allowing Suarez to resume training and playing for Liverpool during the appeal process.

I just checked him out on YouTube. In addition to being quite dreamy ( :wub:), he also seems pretty awesome.

No promises that that's my team, Niner, but it's as good a place to start as any.

Good job I didn't try you out with Grant Hanley then. :P

Isn't "the right to work" more "the right to earn a living" rather than necessarily perform X activity? Suarez will still be earning his living.

(Incidentally I think TCD should turn heel and support Burnley. :shifty:)

I don't think TCD will get much coverage of Blackburn in Canada...

Also if you're looking for a team to support just on looks I imagine Barcelona or Real Madrid would be a better starting place. :P. Plus you get to support Bale/Ronaldo or Neymar/Messi

Not really, no. In terms of MLS, I'll probably root for Toronto FC, but ideally, I'd like to follow a European league.

My strategy was just going to try and find a player I quite like, then cheer for the team they play for.

JOIN THE EWB SPURS HIVEMIND. It is super-fun and does not end in depression every single season I swear it.

Jermaine Jones has a broken nose from yesterday's game because sure, why not.

God I love RAWK sometimes.

****ing cheek of FIFA messing around with a club with 5 European Cups.

The cheek of it!

where does FIFA's jurisdiction end?

Where indeed?

The best, most hilariously lacking self-awareness RAWK post I have ever seen.

That is definitely how you should depict your star striker who got a lengthy ban for acting racist, Liverpool supporter!

I'm actually happy to not have games on today. I had the opportunity to sleep in (unfortunately I instead just woke up at 8:30am because "wake up at 8:30 for the first game" is hardwired into my brain right now), then went out for breakfast instead of staggering over to get some cereal before the game, and am now at my day job. It's pleasant. I'm going to really appreciate and make the most out of these break days because it'll make me appreciate the gamedays more.