2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

Club football is so difficult to get excited about by comparison.

You are a peculiar human being.

I agree with Metalman. Unless you can afford to go to most games or support a big PL team it's hard to get too excited about club football compared to the WC.

Let's use the Premier League as an example. 20 teams, about fifteen of which don't even see the point of even trying to win it. The contenders are just those with the most money. It's a competition where 75% of participants don't even see the point of competing. Unchecked capitalism is never very exciting to those that enjoy an underdog story or something a bit different. Compare to the World Cup. Everyone from Costa Rica to Germany to Algeria gave it a shot. There were plenty of surprises and nearly every single game meant something.

It's no contest.

• Like 2

Everyone's World Cup Dream Team?

GK - Neuer

DR - Lahm

DC - Vlaar

DC - De Vrij

DL - Blind

MR - Robben

MC - Mascherano

MC - Kroos

ML - Shaqiri

ST - Rodriguez

ST - Muller

Unlike other people I'm not gonna go back and find your old post to quote it, but you were one of the most vocal people laughing off Holland's defense. Nice turnaround. :P

Well that was fun. Glad I had it spoiled for me inadvertently despite doing my best all day at work to avoid the result (and succeeding). Just my dad not turning the TV off when he told me to come down and grab food ruined it. :(

Germany are deserved winners, can't really point out anyone else who should have lifted the trophy. Argentina were my pick going in but not for their defense but because of their strikers, who were poor finishers most tournament. Messi willed a lot of the team to where they got.

Let's use the Premier League as an example. 20 teams, about fifteen of which don't even see the point of even trying to win it. The contenders are just those with the most money. It's a competition where 75% of participants don't even see the point of competing. Unchecked capitalism is never very exciting to those that enjoy an underdog story or something a bit different. Compare to the World Cup. Everyone from Costa Rica to Germany to Algeria gave it a shot. There were plenty of surprises and nearly every single game meant something.

It's no contest.

Why not compare the World Cup to a similarly-formatted competition like the Champions League? Unless you're about to tell me that money ruins that because the likes of Bayern Munich and Real Madrid 'always' doing quite well is somehow totally different to the likes of Germany and Brazil 'always' doing quite well.

Nevermind that I might bring up what the majority of international football actually is, which is years of dreary bullshit qualifiers where you go and scrape a draw away to Estonia or crush San Marino, intermixed with friendlies that not even the most fervent fan of X country can get excited about. Compare THAT to whichever club league competition you care to.

• Like 7

And Scolari's gone.

Scolari has resigned.

Depending on which source you want to believe, some say the FA fired him.

Just saw it on BBC. Wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those mutual consent deals.

On the club/international argument, club football every time. I can watch and enjoy club football from numerous countries, leagues and competitions. Internationals are only fun during major tournaments, and even then, they're underwhelming a lot of the time. This WC was very fun, but there were so many drab games (albeit with an exciting finish because Extra Time and Pens is there for that purpose), once the group stage finished.

Everyone's World Cup Dream Team?

GK - Neuer

DR - Lahm

DC - Vlaar

DC - De Vrij

DL - Blind

MR - Robben

MC - Mascherano

MC - Kroos

ML - Shaqiri

ST - Rodriguez

ST - Muller

Unlike other people I'm not gonna go back and find your old post to quote it, but you were one of the most vocal people laughing off Holland's defense. Nice turnaround. :P

Yeah, I did. I still think singularly as players, they're not exactly worldbeaters, but as a unit. Concrete.

On the club vs country, I support Newcastle. What have I got to look forward to this coming season? A nail biting scrap for 9th with Swansea and Stoke?