2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

What have I got to look forward to this coming season? A nail biting scrap for 9th with Swansea and Stoke?

Sounds infinitely more exciting than anything England will do at any tournament ever.

• Like 2

q3cZE4v.jpg

860200822.gif

I look at this now and it seems as though Jesus has torn a hole through our reality with his bare hands.

"COME FORTH, HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE AND UNLEASH THE FINAL JUDGEMENT"

Club football is so difficult to get excited about by comparison.

You are a peculiar human being.
Let's use the Premier League as an example. 20 teams, about fifteen of which don't even see the point of even trying to win it. The contenders are just those with the most money. It's a competition where 75% of participants don't even see the point of competing. Unchecked capitalism is never very exciting to those that enjoy an underdog story or something a bit different. Compare to the World Cup. Everyone from Costa Rica to Germany to Algeria gave it a shot. There were plenty of surprises and nearly every single game meant something.

It's no contest.

Why not compare the World Cup to a similarly-formatted competition like the Champions League? Unless you're about to tell me that money ruins that because the likes of Bayern Munich and Real Madrid 'always' doing quite well is somehow totally different to the likes of Germany and Brazil 'always' doing quite well.

Nevermind that I might bring up what the majority of international football actually is, which is years of dreary bullshit qualifiers where you go and scrape a draw away to Estonia or crush San Marino, intermixed with friendlies that not even the most fervent fan of X country can get excited about. Compare THAT to whichever club league competition you care to.

Okay, let's compare to the Champions League. The Champions League group stashes are more or less a formality. The double legged format helps ensure that exciting or unexpected outcomes barely exist. I mean, the Champions League is okay. It's not the aspect of club football I have a problem with, even if it is increasingly being colonised by the same contingent of Spanish, German and English clubs.

I agree with you about the majority of international football. After all, that's why I said there's nothing in football that I care about in the next four years.

The World Cup is by far the most special to me. Maybe that's exaggerated by it only happening every four years. Maybe it's because it's populated by 32 teams who all know they are only seven games away from winning it, many of which, like Costa Rica or Algeria, give it a real good shot. Maybe it's because, unlike the Champions League with its goalless second legs and end of group stage dead rubbers,,practically every game means something.

I don't think seeing the World Cup as the pinnacle of the sport makes me a "peculiar human being".

He probably means your peculiar for finding it hard to get excited by club football not because you find the world cup the most exciting.

• Like 1

I love club football but nothing beats the World Cup. You've stated all the reasons why anyway there's always a team that causes a few shocks, one of the big nations normally gets knocked out early, players can make a huge name for themselves. It's always a big occasion and the atmosphere is always great.

Yeah I don't think it's unreasonable to enjoy the World Cup more than anticipating which of the 5 teams who've spent the most in the Premier League are going to succeed this year.

It's an unfair comparison sure, but still, nothing comes close to the World Cup in football or any other sport.