The Chivas USA Farewell Tour Thread (2014 MLS Thread)

GoGo Yubari

Today is the day! Go Sounders! Oba Oba is the man!

Today is one of the days! Next Saturday is probably more important but man, if we could win the Supporters Shield in LA that would be incredible.

• Like 1

Sounders go two goals down, manage to come back and get a draw, look like the better team for a lot of the game, and Omar Gonzales diving tackled his way out of next week's game for the Shield?

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Got to watch the DVR of it late last night ... wow yeah I'm feeling pretty good if I'm Seattle.

Portland has to deal with Dallas while Vancouver gets freaking COL at home with the final playoff spot on the line .... oh well.

Sooooo because Canada moved their championship back, this season the "highest placed MLS side" gets the CCL spot. Congrats Vancouver ...

I hate Vancouver but they're far and away the best team in Canada and on the whole have been for the last three years (even factoring in the half season where Montreal were unstoppable), so as far as Canada's concerned that's for the best. The Voyageurs Cup needs more than four teams to mean all that much as a CCL-berth worthy competition anyway.

• Like 3

I hate Vancouver but they're far and away the best team in Canada and on the whole have been for the last three years (even factoring in the half season where Montreal were unstoppable), so as far as Canada's concerned that's for the best. The Voyageurs Cup needs more than four teams to mean all that much as a CCL-berth worthy competition anyway.

Oh I agree 100% with this ... it's just kind of funny is all. For all the discord we have with our soccer here in America ... holy shit is it a mess in Canada. They REALLY need to make the VC something worth that CCL spot, but that's going to take time. There's hardly anyone outside of MTL/VAN/TFC/EDM/OTT ... I mean there are clubs and such, but not counting those, only the PDL teams are even worth mentioning.

I wonder if TFC goes big again on a DP after getting burned by DeFoe. I know the biggest need is in defence. Haglund and Henry are good prospects, but are not ready for prime time.

I do think Oduro and Osorio bring great pace to the wings, and Toronto has good depth up front and in the middle. I'm not sure about Bendik in goal anymore.

I used to think Bendik was going to be rather good but it seems like he's hit a wall with his development. Not sure how much is him and how much is what's in front of him but he's seemed to level off. Osorio is really good and has great potential. Oduro was a pretty nifty pick up and honestly with Gilberto's progression after the injury I think they've got the spine of a playoff team easy, and even one that can press in the playoffs. I feel they need a proper MID partner for Bradley ... which oddly enough they dealt away in order to sign their DPs (Laba).

MLS clubs looking really good and with a great opportunity to make a very hard push in this CCL finally: http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2014/10/20/concacaf-champions-league-whats-stake-mls-teams-final-week-group-stage ..... we could realistically have 3 of the top 4 seeds and could even swing all 4 mathematically (that ain't happening though). Pulling for Alajuelense as they only need not lose to Cruz Azul and they'll advance instead of Cruz (game is in Costa Rica too). On a less realistic note I'm also pulling for Comunicaciones because if they go to Mexico and win or draw by a score 2-2 or greater they'll move on instead of Club America. If we can get to the knock out with only 1 Mexican side that'd be amazing ... but still if we only had to deal with two and one of them would be in shit seeding ? Yes please.

D.C. United (USA) vs. Alajuelense (CRC)
Club America (MEX) vs. Saprissa (CRC)
Herediano (CRC) vs. Olimpia (HON)
Montreal Impact (CAN) vs. Pachuca (MEX)

Those are your QF pairings for the CCL. Thanks to both PTFC and SKC shitting the bed (albeit SKC had Feilhaber and Igor go down with an injury before half time) we only get two MLS clubs through with MTL being one of them .... and they get Pachuca. The big thing about DC and MTL being seeded though, is that they host the 2nd legs which can play a big part seeing as how March can still be a bit crisp in both of those places. I feel that DC can move on and should, while MTL can catch Pachuca flat footed as long as they don't get trounced in Mexico to open things up. Saprissa is talented enough to take out America but I wouldn't bet on it ... and depending on whether or not MTL pulls it off will depend on who I'd rather see out of Olimpia and Herediano. Olimpia has a better shot against Pachuca while I'd rather see Herediano for MTL.

CLB is being linked with Silvio Romero (however CHI somehow has first right of refusal to sign him .... discovery claim I'm guessing).

Vancouver makes the playoffs!

Clearly the best club in Canada. Not a great match, but the Whitecaps were clearly the better side.

Plus... knocking the Timberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs out is always a good time. Hopefully Dallas keeps its form from today on Wednesday.

We still need a natural goal-scorer though. (Mattocks is not it.)

WhoScored said Marco Pappa was the man of the match. True?

Nah, it was Stefan Frei. We only needed to draw that match to get the Shield, and Frei was a force in goal all game. Pappa was a close, close second though.

And I need a better version of this image to use as a background somewhere.

• Like 1

Chivas USA is finally, officially dead, with a new LA team to replace it coming in 2017. Their roster will be spread to the winds via a "dispersal draft" that will include the whole roster except Cubo Torres who presumably has WAY more leverage in regards to where he wants to play next year.

This has resulted in a re-alignment of the league with SKC and Houston moving to the Western Conference, because ew oh god fuck.

I don't know what other side could be sent West, but good gods the league is going to be unbalanced with the West having far too many quality sides. Vancouver really doesn't need the extra competition as we try to establish ourselves as an improving, developing squad.

So thanks for nothing Chivas... did they ever achieve anything other than being MLS' punchline of a franchise?

Edited by Beeker00Zero

They've made the playoffs twice as many times as Vancouver... of course... since the Whitecaps joined MSL they haven't made the playoffs... so make of that what you will. Mainly that Vancouver made Chivas obsolete.

And Toronto can now take up the mantle of the most inept franchise in MLS. Finally, Toronto wins something! Huzzah!

Cubo Torres is a fantastic name.

Edited by Beeker00Zero

Chivas USA achievements:

1. They're responsible for Cubo Torres in MLS.

2. They made the playoffs more times than Toronto FC.

1. Brad Guzan

/list

Honestly though, the early years for the club were pretty good. You had Guzan in net, Bob Bradley doing a cameo and being propelled to USMNT coach, Preki taking them to the semi-finals, finishing first in the West, and being better than the Galaxy (with Beckham and Landycakes). Of course that just illustrates how badly the wheels fell off.

While he won't be in the dispersal draft, I don't see how the league doesn't retain Cubo. If they don't they're flat out stupid. They have the perfect chance to "move" the perfect player for this league to about a perfect club as they can get. That roster has tons of potential value for quite a few clubs. It'll be quite interesting how they play NYCFC and OCSC into this as well.

Speaking of OCSC ... they traded for Tally Hall, which gives them (assuming he fully recovers) a very solid GK for year one. Interesting note is that they sent allocation money (they already have that ? what) for Hall and an "International DP slot" .... ???? wtf, an International DP slot ? Ooooo k.