The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

So DDG might not be playing today.

Interesting. 

Van Gaal confirmed that he won't be in his press conference:

"He tries and does (his) utmost best, but it’s a difficult situation. Now we have to play our first match and I want players who can focus only on the match and he is not capable to do that. He shall not play."

Given that Valdes was just transfer-listed, and the internet tells me that Lindegaard has "been told he can leave", do United really have only one goalkeeper who they're willing to play at the moment? :/

Romero needs to start in my opinion. He has experience in big games, Johnstone does not. I don't think it'd be fair on him to be thrown in at the deep end. Whoever he picks, if they make a mistake, people will just say he should have picked the other one. :shifty: 

I'd be more inclined to go with Johnstone, given that he's actually had a pre season playing with the back four who would be in front of him.

More than anything I'm just hoping we do the business going forward so we don't have to rely on our back four and whoever plays in nets!

• Like 1

Did we work out whether Costa was playing or not? The other striker in my fantasy team is pretty shit.:(

The closest there is to anything official is Mourinho's press conference prior to training on Friday, when he simply "didn't know" and said it would depend on Costa getting through training that day without problems and how he felt afterwards.

My instinct is that it's unlikely and that at the friendly on Wednesday there was a sense of really hoping one of Remy or Falcao actually start to look good (spoiler: neither did).

One other way of looking at is is that, even if Costa does play, his match fitness will be limited and the rest of the Chelsea team has been playing like shit too, so a repeat of last season's storming start in front of goal isn't expected.

• Like 1

I have enough time to watch United v Spurs before I head out to Chelsea later...but on the other hand, it doesn't feel right to start my season with a "can't both teams lose?" match. :/

Tottenham XI vs. Manchester United: Vorm, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies. Dier, Bentaleb. Dembele, Eriksen, Chadli. Kane.

No Danny Rose because he picked up an injury in training. Bah! Dele Alli is on the bench, would be neat to see him.