FIFA Women's World Cup 2015

Cymbols

I mean, I think generally in sports underdogs do usually get sympathy, which is what England were. Maybe there's a certain degree of gendered language at play in how the sympathy is dealt out, but I seem to recall a giant outcry of support for Costa Rica after they were eliminated from the World Cup last year.

Or, to put it another way; if Hope Solo or Abby Wambach were to end up costing the US the World Cup on Sunday, I highly doubt the reaction will be the exact same one Laura Bassett got.

• Like 2

Probably the most invested I've been in an England team's progress since 2004 and the saddest I've felt after an England defeat since 1996. They played really well and to get to the semi-finals was great going, considering the team was very much quarter-finals on paper (many in fact thought we would struggle against Norway). Some good performances against Japan, Houghton was outstanding and Duggan looked like a real threat going forward. Instead of hoofing it forward, play her central, play the ball to her feet and let her do her thing because she's really good at scoring goals at club and international level.

I'm sure the team will be raring to go come Saturday for the third-place match. I think we may see a few changes, a front three of Kirby, Duggan and Aluko would show intent, and bring Carney and Greenwood into the team and that would be just fine. Hopefully Bassett will play as aside from the own goal, she's been great and her and Houghton have a real understanding.

• Like 1

I thought the own goal was hilarious and have no sympathy because it was a woeful piece of defending.

Yay, I guess like England's penchant for bottling it am not sexist! :w00t:  

U wot? What would you have her do? She was at full stretch intercepting a cross that she had to play, her player takes that in stride with a glorious chance if she doesn't play that ball. Would you have her grow an extra two inches in her legs while the cross is in flight so that she middles it off her foot as she tried to instead of toe-poking it past the keeper?