UEFA Europa League 2015/16

Lineker

I'm willing to write this season off, tbh. Getting to two finals is a bonus. Winning would've been great. Losing is terrible. But if Klopp is half the manager he seems to be he'll learn and be able to improve this side even more once he's had time to work with them.

3 minutes ago, Freelance Hobo said:

He did have to deal with coming into a new league, without a pre-season, a tonne of games and everyone getting injured.

Honestly, even he'd won either of those cup finals he'd have been a miracle worker. A lot done. A lot more to do.

Has he?  I mean he almost qualified for Europe, he almost won a domestic cup, he almost won a European trophy, while it's commendable in his first season in the role he hasn't really made too many players in his team play much if any better than they did under Rodgers.

Personality wise he is certainly better and more interesting than Rodgers.  But the inflatable fish I had at Wembley on Sunday has more personality than Rodgers.

Jury is well and truly still out to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

Bit hard to work wonders with a squad you had no say on several months into a season. 

Claudio Ranieri was appointed Leicester boss on 13 July 2015, with not much chance to affect pre-season and after most of the major summer transfers had been planned and worked on, and he won the Premier League, not saying it's easy to work wonders, but managers can do it.

• Like 2

Just now, WE'VE GOT AMOND! said:

Has he?  I mean he almost qualified for Europe, he almost won a domestic cup, he almost won a European trophy, while it's commendable in his first season in the role he hasn't really made too many players in his team play much if any better than they did under Rodgers.

I would disagree. Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool would've gone out of the Europa League at United. His Liverpool wouldn't have beaten Dortmund. They're all the same players but I think Klopp has had an effect on them all.

I think he's had a profound effect on Emre Can, Lallana and Origi in particular. Dejan Lovren's Liverpool career has probably been saved by Klopp's arrival. His personality seems to have boosted the entire club. I don't think losing a Europa League final will do him any damage either. Because this Liverpool team when he took over didn't seem like it could even get out of the group.

He's brought a mental boost that, while it took a knock tonight, isn't defleated.

I'm confident that with a decent pre-season, a few new players, and the experience of having had over 50 games as Liverpool manager already (which is insane) Klopp will have Liverpool in good stead for the new season. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

Bit hard to work wonders with a squad you had no say on several months into a season. 

Under Rodgers we would not have gotten as far as we have in competitions or won some of the games we have. We were dreadful start of the season. 

Yet... we finished 6 points behind fourth despite being 8th. Some people on here seem to really love to hate us and are easy to pick out negatives but the team has improved over the season and as I said 6 points behind 4th with our defence and goalkeeper that has shipped plenty of goals and with the large list of injuries we've had this season. 

I've got another memory of getting to a European final. I've got the memories of beating the mancs in Europe and somehow beating Dortmund at Anfield to go along with all my other memories of all the other cup finals, trophy wins and memorable games. You take the good with the bad and fortunately I've seen plenty of good. 

Ah well.

Pretty sure fans of United, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea et al. get just as much stick on here, a large portion of it from Liverpool fans - can't really blame them for enjoying watching Liverpool fail from time to time.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, WE'VE GOT AMOND! said:

Personality wise he is certainly better and more interesting than Rodgers.  But the inflatable fish I had at Wembley on Sunday has more personality than Rodgers.

Jury is well and truly still out to me.

FISH!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Summers said:

Joe Allen is not a game winning substitution. 

Dortmund disagree.

10 hours ago, WE'VE GOT AMOND! said:

That's, um... not true.

He's had a profound effect on Lovren, Sakho, Lallana, Can, Allen, Firmino and Origi in particular. This time last year, how many of them would you say were pivotal to Liverpool's future? Because, honestly, all of them are now our most important players.

That hurt. A lot. But... silver linings. We have Klopp, who has transformed the club from top to bottom in such a short time. The future is extremely bright.

• Like 2

Just now, Jimmy said:

Seems to be intergrating youngsters quite well as well, right? 

Mostly out of necessity. Since just before the United Europa game he's been pretty much alternating between the first team and the reserves/U21s every other game. Maybe he's been exploring what the youths look like before he starts culling them the summer. I don't think many of them have a future outside of Ward, Brannagan (if he doesn't go to Barca), and Chirivella.

Klopp hasn't even been able to put his own stamp on that Liverpool side yet, only business they did in January was sign that kid from Red Star Belgrade and loan him straight back. Not bad when you haven't had a a full season to get to two cup finals to be fair, they definitely could have done better in the league but that can be said for every single "top" side this year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

Klopp hasn't even been able to put his own stamp on that Liverpool side yet, only business they did in January was sign that kid from Red Star Belgrade and loan him straight back. Not bad when you haven't had a a full season to get to two cup finals to be fair, they definitely could have done better in the league but that can be said for every single "top" side this year. 

How dare you forget the impact of the man ahead of Benteke in the striking pecking order, Steven Caulker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Wow I completely forgot Steven Caulker ever signed for Liverpool. He was going to be a talent as well.

tbh, so did most people :shifty:

It was mad. Like that time Liverpool signed Paul Jones as an emergency keeper.

• Like 1