Formula One 2016

JasonM

1 minute ago, Lineker said:

Lewis will indeed be taking a grid penalty at Spa this weekend. 

Very much expected to happen some point post-summer break. He needs a new set up and they've expertly made sure that the pain happens only once rather than it cascading over multiple weekends.

It's going to make the weekend easier for Rosberg for certain, but that Mercedes is ridiculously good and with a safety car period they can just so easily grab another 1-2 finish

Can someone tell me what the point is in giving Lewis Hamilton a "55 place" grid penalty when he can't start any further back than 22nd? Surely they should just have it as "back of the grid" punishment, or else spread the penalty over the necessary amount of weekends?

It's just consistency of the constituent parts of the penalty, it's like when a serial killer in America gets 75 years per murder and ends up with 1500 years imprisonment.

That being said, if he gets any more penalties, he'll be starting the race in Amsterdam.

• Like 2

Talk about an insane first 10 laps, christ almighty. From first corner drama to Sainz trying out a new rear wing set-up, and K-Mag launching himself into the barriers at 300kmh and walking away from it.

Hamilton must be part Irish too, with the luck he raced himself into in that entire stretch, managing to get a very comfortable third place after starting at 22nd. At the same time Alonso making the Williams' life a living hell and beating them back at every turn.

The Force India's get 4 and 5th and leapfrog Williams in the standings for fourth, and they really are going places with the car they've got. Sadly Hulk has extended his 100+ races no-podium streak, but the Merc of Hamilton was just ridiculously pacy.

I also feel bad for the crowd booing Rosberg, partly because they wanted to see Max on the podium. But Rosberg drove a perfect race with zero controversy, and still he gets shit on because of it. And even Webber seemed a bit cross about it during the interviews.

But yeah, where Hamilton and Alonso had all the luck. Verstappen really struggled, with the wing issues early on, and then the SC + red flag throwing the entire strategy in disarray. Did nothing wrong, but just bad luck overall, which is doubly painful because it happened at what is effectively his home race, so there are a lot of disappointed Dutch fans right now.

Amazing race regardless. 

• Like 1

Interesting move by Button and McLaren, and I feel that Vandoorne's threat of free agency also played a big part in them deciding to go this route, because Williams was right there ready to snatch Stoffel if McLaren weren't going to give him the seat he really needs.

And now that Checo has resigned with Force India, it completely leaves the Williams seat open big time. And Susie must really be kicking herself for retiring when she did (although the odds of her ever getting an F1 drive was slim, even being married to Toto). But it's really going to be interesting how they're going to be filling that up. With Wehrlein possibly being the best choice, if Merc sends along a bag of cash to help Williams out in their semi financial woes.

Nasr though, I just don't see it and he'd be firmly a secondary driver behind Bottas at Williams. He's not been able to beat Ericsson, so unless there's money involved I can see him stay at Sauber at best.

But either way, big moves in F1 with two of the longest running drivers retiring (Button's effectively retiring, really) from the sport. And I guess in a few years when Kimi also decides that he's bored, and Alonso can't get back to prominence, that'll be the last of the old guard.

Other than a few overtakes, and the starting shenanigans. It was a pretty clear cut win for Mercedes, and Rosberg once more gets booed regardless of having a completely controversy-free race. The only difference is that the Tifosi also gives Mercedes some flack, but the booing behaviour is really getting grating, especially if there's no controversy.

Anyways, onto Singapore where Ferrari and Red Bull might make for some excitement.

EDIT: And then Rosberg managed to shut up the crowd by talking Italian.